1822 replies to this topic

#181 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:18 PM

@DoGgs:  After you mentioned the HB rugby game I had to go look it up..

WOW - You weren't kidding.

The negative reviews and IGN review are simply staggering.  I've not personally come across such a poorly reviewed game

#182 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:24 PM

The negative reviews and IGN review are simply staggering.  I've not personally come across such a poorly reviewed game

I have.....Front Page Sports Football (1999) was so horrid it was recalled and refunds issued by Sierra.

https://en.wikipedia...Sports_Football

New versions of the game were introduced each year, with the final one coming out in 1999, however the 1999 version was recalled. A 2000 version was also planned, however it was cancelled shortly after the 1999 version recall.

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#183 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:30 PM

I bought the game second hand after it released on console, they had Jonah Lomu rugby challenge which was made a few years earlier as a benchmark, prob the best rugby game to date, yet they totally failed to get anywhere near the quality.  I will say that making a rugby game with all the complexity of the sport must be very difficult, even EA rugby was poor fair.  HB also had the license for the Aviva premiership and Pro 12 and still managed to screw it up, it was way beyond their capabilities.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#184 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:34 PM

I have.....Front Page Sports Football (1999) was so horrid it was recalled and refunds issued by Sierra.

https://en.wikipedia...Sports_Football

You can forgive them that because they did make the best golf game to date.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#185 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

Yea because there are NO great sports titles on the market with annual installments.  That's the worst argument I think I've ever heard.

I'm not saying that TGC1, 2, or 3 (2019) are ground breaking golf titles or anything.  I'm just saying that the argument you're trying to make is simply absurd.

In your opinion.

#186 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:43 PM

This is a terrible take - as if the constant evolution of a product is a bad thing.

I'm going to list the software titles in my lifetime that were perfect at release

In your opinion.

#187 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:55 PM

One of the best parts of the internet is the ability to constantly get improvements to software.  I started a pretty successful retail chain and we'd push out pos updates overnight that before everything being connected would have taken field techs weeks to do.

To think it's a weakness to make a new product every year is just not understanding technology and the nature of rental software.

We are no longer owners, we're just renting access.

People who believe we need yearly iterations of video games have bought into that concept of yours.  Rfactor2 came out in 2013 and you know what?  There is no rFactor 3 because they got it right the second time.  Yes it is updated but it has not needed a complete rewrite of code since its inception.  

The biggest problem with video games these days is with people accepting a flawed product and then accepting a new version of said flawed product.  To think a yearly complete rewrite of code is needed is just not understanding technology.

#188 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

In your opinion.

Nope.  It's a fact.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#189 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

Nope.  It's a fact.

Seriously?  It is an opinion and not a fact.  Read my post above and educate yourself on the facts.

#190 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

Seriously?  It is an opinion and not a fact.  Read my post above and educate yourself on the facts.

MLB The Show is one of the best sports simulations ever made.  Just look at the ratings year after year after year.  By your logic, the fact that they've released a new version every year is proof that the first offering was horrible.  But NONE of the ratings support that fact.  The game got better and better with every release.  You're just factually wrong whether you want to admit it or not.

Now if your argument is that they shouldn't charge for those annual releases then you're just out of touch with reality and there is no sane debate that can be had with you.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#191 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

You can forgive them that because they did make the best golf game to date.

Matter of opinion.

Very good, but not the "best"......IMO.... ;)

PC

Xbox One X

#192 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:09 PM

Matter of opinion.
Very good, but not the "best"......IMO.... ;)

Interesting… What do you think is the best so far?

#193 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

Interesting… What do you think is the best so far?

Not going down that rabbit hole here and not in this forum. Just disagree that Sierra put out the best Golf game ever made.

Best Golf game swing ever (TrueSwing), absolutely.

PC

Xbox One X

#194 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

Not going down that rabbit hole here and not in this forum. Just disagree that Sierra put out the best Golf game ever made.

Hardly a rabbit hole, bit dramatic...it's only an opinion on which golf game ticks the majority of the boxes, none to date are perfect but if PGA 2000 was remade with todays graphics whilst maintaining the fluidity of the tru swing then nothing would touch it.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#195 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

OK?

I’m not sure why you think it’s a rabbit hole…

Am I to infer that you feel like TGC is the best so far?

Or one of the TW games?

So frustrating these days that people with differing opinions won’t even talk anymore

#196 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:41 PM

I don’t know Tim…
I agree with with doggs said…

You came in and commented that one game is “not the best” but then claim it is a rabbit hole to say what game you think is?

I think we’re all trying to be civil and have good conversation here… And I think we all certainly respect you and would love to hear what you think !

#197 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

So when we say it that's just an opinion but when you say it then it's a fact?

That's what you're going with? lol

• mebby likes this

#198 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

Welcome to “Marks world”. Enjoy the stay!
Lol

#199 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

People who believe we need yearly iterations of video games have bought into that concept of yours.  Rfactor2 came out in 2013 and you know what?  There is no rFactor 3 because they got it right the second time.  Yes it is updated but it has not needed a complete rewrite of code since its inception.  

The biggest problem with video games these days is with people accepting a flawed product and then accepting a new version of said flawed product.  To think a yearly complete rewrite of code is needed is just not understanding technology.

Not quite. In 2017 Studio 397 created a brand new DX11 game engine for rFactor2 (making the step up from their original DX9 engine). Took quite a bit of code re-writes to get it right. 

#200 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

LOL!  Exactly!  If you hang around for a bit you'll catch on pretty quickly and it will all start to feel fairly normal.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users