#141 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

I see HBS have pushed out a couple of videos of TGC2019 with par 3 holes being played at a couple of the new licensed courses.

Looks OK and very much like TGC2 to me if I'm honest. One worry is both videos see the player easily making birdie. Hope the game is a bit more challenging.

#142 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

I agree with your above assessment…
They are super protectionist over there right now about it as a lead up to launch in August.

My reservations about what I was seeing got me banned there today… With no notice whatsoever

I’m sure such a thought tickles the fancy of many here on this forum, so you’re welcome in advance for making your weekend and putting a smile on your face. Lol

In all seriousness we thought the maximum games era was the problem over there but the way they are hyper moderating, not just me today but the insane amount of thread locking also over the last month, shows me that not a lot has changed and partnering with the PGA is certainly not helping the openness and transparency.

Quite frankly the game, as I was a tester, is basically a PGA tour DLC add on with a few tweaks to gameplay and interface that frankly should’ve been already added and fixed in TGC 2.

I understand why they’re doing it this way because they needed a completely new release to get away from maximum games but it is not a very different game than TGC 2 other than some new content and some swing modifications, both welcome changes, but none of it very radical.

If you didn’t already pretty much enjoy TGC 2, you are not going to like TGC 2019.
They did not cast a wide enough net to capture people that didn’t already like where they were in my opinion.

#143 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:59 PM

Why do the bunkers still look like shit??
  • Jesus Jones likes this

#144 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:07 AM

I think it's a limitation of their designer/other code implementation.

For some reason I don't think they can fix those until there is a major visual engine change... or something major.

Maybe Doggs could comment from the design angle?

There has to be some key reason why the bunkers (and the edges in particular) have to continue to look like they do (awful).

#145 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:34 AM

I enjoy playing TGC 2, but those bunkers kill the immersion for me sometimes.
  • MERACE likes this

#146 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

Because the game is....

• Jesus Jones likes this

#147 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Because the game is....

....fun.  ;)

Yes, the bunker lips need much more improvement.  :)

-MERACE

#148 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

Because the game is....

...basically the same as TGC 2, just with a new GUI and some PGA and sponsor content added

At least that's how it appears to be shaping up so far.

The new GUI is still unseen, but I expect a very PGA TV like presentation GUI, probably very similar in look to how it was on Rory (a good thing).

#149 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

...basically the same as TGC 2, 

To a certain extent I agree with you.  If you like the gameplay and feel of TGC2 you will probably like TGC  2019.

However, there were and hopefully will be some improvements in TGC 2019.  I noticed in the beta that the short game has improved quite a bit.  The bug where the ball randomly stops dead instead of running out with chip shots appears to be fixed.  

They supposedly did some more tuning to the different swing difficulties after the beta which hopefully increased the difficulty on the highest swing (Master).

I'm still playing TGC2 daily so I'm looking forward to doing the same with TGC 2019.  :)

-MERACE

#150 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

They supposedly did some more tuning to the different swing difficulties after the beta which hopefully increased the difficulty on the highest swing (Master).

I sure as hell hope so.
They’d actually made the hardest level, strangely, easier than TGC2 in the 2019 beta.

There was a lot more tuning needed after that beta I thought.
  • MERACE likes this

#151 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

I sure as hell hope so.
They’d actually made the hardest level, strangely, easier than TGC2 in the 2019 beta.

There was a lot more tuning needed after that beta I thought.

I've been away from the internet in large part for the last four days, and I missed most of the day Friday, when you apparently got banned.  I didn't see any posts in review of the forum that should have gotten you banned, but I didn't see everything... obviously.  

I think some tuning was indeed due for the swing in TGC 2019, after playing the stress test beta, and they say it's gotten some.  I know TGC 2 played brutally difficult in its first iteration during beta testing and most of the testers agreed... it got changed to what we've got now, which was probably an over corrections.  I hope they make the right adjustment with this one.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#152 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:47 PM

Got banned from HB's forum after telling them they were going the wrong direction focusing on fluff like mullets and purple shoes and not focusing on making bunkers that don't look terrible, fixing the game, so it followed actual rules of golf, and overall going away from what I thought the original intention was.

And now this stupid PGA Tour license, which COULD be useful if someone in that studio could design courses half as good as the really good community designers but we all know they can't.  The two clips show very average course design with little attention to detail because they just don't have anyone that can use the designer very well.  They should have farmed that work out completely long ago.

The reality is they care more about fluff than function because they're just not very solid in their understanding of the game of golf, the nuances of it, nor the physics behind it.  There WAS a build early on in the TGC2 beta that was amazing and then they started putting the stupid crap in it and the game was crap from that point forward.  A good example, TGC2, and the suggested courses, lol it NEVER changed.  A course I made is one of the courses on the first page, and there are hundreds of better options.  Stats have NEVER worked properly; the handicap system is the complete joke I told them it would be, and on and on and on.

It's really sad there isn't a great PC golf game (and no this is not one), and neither is the HB product either.  We had better options ten years ago, that's embarrassing. 

This game is dead, the one that survived is the one I said would survive, but once Anthony walked away, it lost it's way and doesn't look like it's ever going to get back to being a game about golf instead of a game with golf in it.  Right now it's a hairstyle simulator with golf clubs in it.

I've got half a mind to fund a new iteration of what Headgate was doing with PGA Championship Golf, but golf ga.mes are great ways to lose money, unfortunately.

I realize nobody cares, but I hadn't even thought about a golf game until a few days ago and wanted to put thoughts to "paper" :)

Hey Anthony, wanna produce a new golf game that will NOT have more than 15 minutes effort spent on hairstyles? :)

• MERACE, Buck, Ted_Ball and 1 other like this

#153 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:20 PM

Wow - I'm in FULL agreement with ADX

I'm really just disappointed in HB that I never even got a courtesy message of "hey - keep it more positive as we ramp towards launch" type of thing.

I was bringing up completely valid thoughts and commentary about what I was seeing - not all of it negative at all - and I was just banned with not a word.  I was also not alone in many of those critiques.  I guess - for all I know - others also got banned recently as they try to really spin the PR in one direction only?  

I just don't get it.  Not very cool IMO.

In any case - Personally, I'd be pretty hesitant about any immediate purchase or certainly "pre-order" of TGC 2019 given what I've seen so far, and certainly with some of this forum behavior.  This is the first time I've started to feel like HB is behaving like a mini version of EA Sports. (not a good look)

#154 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:24 PM

I've got half a mind to fund a new iteration of what Headgate was doing with PGA Championship Golf

So funny you mentioned this.

I just fired up PGA in a VM the other day for the first time in FOREVER...

I was totally blown away being reminded what an amazing game that was.  

Obviously the graphics are really suffering at this point, but the actual gameplay is totally magnificent.

It's a real shame nobody could pick up with that vision and run with it. 

#155 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:17 AM

Wow - I'm in FULL agreement with ADX

I'm really just disappointed in HB that I never even got a courtesy message of "hey - keep it more positive as we ramp towards launch" type of thing.

I was bringing up completely valid thoughts and commentary about what I was seeing - not all of it negative at all - and I was just banned with not a word.  I was also not alone in many of those critiques.  I guess - for all I know - others also got banned recently as they try to really spin the PR in one direction only?  

I just don't get it.  Not very cool IMO.

In any case - Personally, I'd be pretty hesitant about any immediate purchase or certainly "pre-order" of TGC 2019 given what I've seen so far, and certainly with some of this forum behavior.  This is the first time I've started to feel like HB is behaving like a mini version of EA Sports. (not a good look)

Fwiw I was banned along time ago not recently :)

#156 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:21 AM

LOL… Well there you have it.

Honestly I’m not particularly hopeful for the future there if they’re just going to ban people that have differing opinions, even if they are strong ones,

I really thought I was always being fair with my criticisms and critiques and certainly had some positive things to say also… But if the answer over there is just start squelching anybody that says anything they don’t like… They may as well move to Moscow

#157 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:47 AM

When your product is strong, you can take any criticism.  When it's lacking, you have to silence all criticism.

I was their BIGGEST fan but that quickly changed when Anthony left as it became so obvious they no longer cared about making a solid golf game they just wanted to polish a turd.

The moderator there is a monumental joke and he's their lead course designer (or was) despite the face he's never made a course anyone went crazy for.

I'll give Mike credit, I am obviously not a fan of this game but my login still works :)

• GoldenBear likes this

#158 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:04 AM

When your product is strong, you can take any criticism.  When it's lacking, you have to silence all criticism.

I firmly agree with this..

If they believe in what they have on tap, they should be showing it more and talking about it more and defending design decisions with discussions about the how and the why and the philosophy -- not simply trying to quiet people down by ousting them.

The whole "shot preview" thing that came out of the blue was - shocking - honestly.

A bizarre super arcade like feature, nearly on par with EA's "in air ball spin", that nobody was asking for and was never even floated as a "hey - what do you guys think of this" type of thing and no doubt took dev time and resources... and that we still aren't sure can be fully locked out by societies and many different modes of play -- full "honor system" (yeah right - like that works in video game golf)

For a company that claims to have many real golfers on staff, they certainly do come up with some very non golf like features and design decisions.

I personally think it's all just a huge play to grab as much market as they can with the void left by EA.

I don't fault them for that in theory, but it's possible they are casting too wide of a net and not doing a great job at any end of the spectrum in the process.

The classic problem of focusing too broadly and directly appealing to few.

#159 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:43 AM

I'll give Mike credit, I am obviously not a fan of this game but my login still works :)

For sure - Credit where credit is due, no question..

#160 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

Well i did say i had no faith in HB when it came to TGC 2 and got pelters for it, that no faith statement was justified as it still has the worst short game of any golf game to date, dropping a 75 yd pitch to within 10 feet every time totally kills the experience.  They did nothing of note with the flop shot and chipping is just devoid of any feel.  The tempo is not required, the PG swing on TP is testament to that, best ever controller swing from the tee and FW, no tempo required apart from a self imposed one if you want to master it to some degree.  I was thinking of keeping one eye on TGC 2019 to see what the reviews would be like, i'm not even interested anymore, they simply cannot make a great golf game, they don't even have a good track record with any sports games, their Rugby game was totally shocking in how bad it was, i say was because its as good as dead, can't imagine anyone buying it after the humiliating reviews.  This review segment for their rugby game at IGN could easily apply to TGC..."  A never ending stream of bugs and paradoxical design decisions.  Overall, this is an experience that is so broken it's impossible to recommend ".  2/10

BTW PGA 2000 is still the benchmark, i still play it today.  Shame that the graphics are badly out dated, would love to see a HD version made, not gonna happen though.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users