Do you really still play PGA 2000?

#162 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:37 PM

HB Alan and I got directly connected by email (thanks Mebby!) and straightened things out and I was reinstated over there, very much to Alan's credit.

• MERACE likes this

#163 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

Do you really still play PGA 2000?

Yes i have it on my laptop that's running win 7, its been on my lapper for as long as i've had it, prob 8 years.  Luckily i did a full install because the cd case got smashed and the discs shattered a few years ago.  I play a few rounds whenever i use my laptop to update my music collection, prob once a fortnight.  The 1-1 tru swing is so smooth and intuitive, you can feel every shot, so much better than links, but links just looked better.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#164 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

The 1-1 tru swing is so smooth and intuitive, you can feel every shot, so much better than links, but links just looked better.

Absolutely true - It was immediately noticeable and the first thing that came to my mind a couple weeks ago when I fired it up.

You feel totally connected to the club/avatar.

#165 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

Absolutely true - It was immediately noticeable and the first thing that came to my mind a couple weeks ago when I fired it up.

You feel totally connected to the club/avatar.

It was so good and I don't understand how something made that long ago hasn't been passed by in a big way.

Tru Swing was awesome, and the designer was great.  You could make vertical bunker lips in about 3 seconds of duplicating a shape then redropping, and the fairway to rough transition was 3d looking as well.

#166 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:43 PM

Well i did say i had no faith in HB when it came to TGC 2 and got pelters for it, that no faith statement was justified as it still has the worst short game of any golf game to date, dropping a 75 yd pitch to within 10 feet every time totally kills the experience.  They did nothing of note with the flop shot and chipping is just devoid of any feel.  The tempo is not required, the PG swing on TP is testament to that, best ever controller swing from the tee and FW, no tempo required apart from a self imposed one if you want to master it to some degree.  I was thinking of keeping one eye on TGC 2019 to see what the reviews would be like, i'm not even interested anymore, they simply cannot make a great golf game, they don't even have a good track record with any sports games, their Rugby game was totally shocking in how bad it was, i say was because its as good as dead, can't imagine anyone buying it after the humiliating reviews.  This review segment for their rugby game at IGN could easily apply to TGC..."  A never ending stream of bugs and paradoxical design decisions.  Overall, this is an experience that is so broken it's impossible to recommend ".  2/10

BTW PGA 2000 is still the benchmark, i still play it today.  Shame that the graphics are badly out dated, would love to see a HD version made, not gonna happen though.

I got soundly trounced on too when I said TGC2 was just more of the same junk.  The fact that they are already making their third iteration is proof positive that they did not get it right in the first two.  No need to buy the third one because it will simply be more of the same crap.

#167 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

I got soundly trounced on too when I said TGC2 was just more of the same junk.  The fact that they are already making their third iteration is proof positive that they did not get it right in the first two.  No need to buy the third one because it will simply be more of the same crap.

Yea because there are NO great sports titles on the market with annual installments.  That's the worst argument I think I've ever heard.

I'm not saying that TGC1, 2, or 3 (2019) are ground breaking golf titles or anything.  I'm just saying that the argument you're trying to make is simply absurd.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#168 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

They should have hired CSU golfer to design the licensed courses. Or even Artic fury. I am not impressed with the look of the courses on these videos. They are very plain and do nothing to promote these courses, IMO.

#169 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

They should have hired CSU golfer to design the licensed courses. Or even Artic fury. I am not impressed with the look of the courses on these videos. They are very plain and do nothing to promote these courses, IMO.

Yes. There are many, many talented community designers that could be enlisted to add a lot more value to the officially licensed course offerings. CLV and Royce are probably two of the top real course recreation guys I've seen.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#170 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:55 PM

Yes. There are many, many talented community designers that could be enlisted to add a lot more value to the officially licensed course offerings. CLV and Royce are probably two of the top real course recreation guys I've seen.

Don't forget friendBOMBER , Yeltzman & craig118.  ;)  :)

-MERACE

#171 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:44 PM

This is a terrible take - as if the constant evolution of a product is a bad thing.

I'm going to list the software titles in my lifetime that were perfect at release

#172 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:16 AM

This is a terrible take - as if the constant evolution of a product is a bad thing.

I'm going to list the software titles in my lifetime that were perfect at release

Yes!  I remember that one!

It was perfect at launch - great call!

#173 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:06 AM

Yes!  I remember that one!

It was perfect at launch - great call!

One of the best parts of the internet is the ability to constantly get improvements to software.  I started a pretty successful retail chain and we'd push out pos updates overnight that before everything being connected would have taken field techs weeks to do.

To think it's a weakness to make a new product every year is just not understanding technology and the nature of rental software.  We are no longer owners, we're just renting access.

#174 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:09 AM

The irony is they did, until some idiotic partnership with Greg Norman that literally saw not a single improvement to the product prohibited him from being involved.  They never explained it, but I'm sure it was dumb.

The promise the game had, and the completely ridiculous choices that have been in the past few years, is astounding.

Maybe someone will bring out an epic pc based golf game that no longer has to play second fiddle and be neutered for console purposes.

#175 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:10 AM

One of the best parts of the internet is the ability to constantly get improvements to software.  

To think it's a weakness to make a new product every year is just not understanding technology and the nature of rental software. 

Very very true words!

#176 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:18 AM

The irony is they did, until some idiotic partnership with Greg Norman that literally saw not a single improvement to the product prohibited him from being involved.  They never explained it, but I'm sure it was dumb.

The promise the game had, and the completely ridiculous choices that have been in the past few years, is astounding.

Maybe someone will bring out an epic pc based golf game that no longer has to play second fiddle and be neutered for console purposes.

I'd buy that even if YOU produced it!! LOL

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#177 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:41 AM

I'd buy that even if YOU produced it!! LOL

Mr. Kyne would produce it, I'd just pay the bills :)

#178 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

Mr. Kyne would produce it, I'd just pay the bills :)

This is why we miss ADX321 in The Golf Club forum!  ;)

• MERACE likes this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#179 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:47 PM

We are no longer owners, we're just renting access.

That encapsulates it in one sentence.... brilliant!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#180 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

It's like most games these days, it's real easy to spot the devs who release a game for maximum profit and greed as opposed to the devs that release a game with love and attention, trusting that a great game will bring the profit.  You only have to look at a game like Divinity original sin 2, you can tell it was made by a bunch of people that loved the old dungeons and dragons.  The game is amazing in every way, with well over 100 hrs of content.  Then you have games like day z standalone that has been in early access for near 6 years, so long that the whole theme of the game has become irrelevant and surpassed by others that are doing similar, and doing it better.  This is where HB fall down as they have a poor record with sports games, and have yet to nail it down in core areas of golf game design.  That could of course change, but my money would be on PG2 being more of a leap forward that TGC 2019.

• GoldenBear likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users