#241 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:24 PM

Related to my post above, and specifically about the real course re-creations that are licensed, I had this sort of great hope or fantasy that those specific courses that were developed in house and licensed would be using unique textures and techniques to fix the bunker problems and make things look easily identifiable as different and special.

But what they really ended up with was TGC2 courses with tournament assets and sponsor logos all over them.

That just doesn’t do much for me.

In fact, if they grant access to any of those assets to their talented third-party designers, I would expect those guys to make better versions then their own in house team.

I just don’t think their in-house course design work is very good.

Calling it not very good is an understatement.  It's a farce

Which really tells us how little talent or effort or both has gone into making this game.  When nobody on staff can use the designer half as good as 50 community members, something is wrong.

TGC was a new game, and everything since then is DLC including this snoozefest.  The sad part is the hubris is so high over there they can't accept any critical feedback and only respond to yes-men who blow smoke up their butts.

If they think this is a full-featured $59.99 AAA title they're out of their minds.  It's DLC package 2

They used to always use the "we are a small team blah blah" - when you start charging full price, that is no longer a valid excuse

And to still be using unity, and somehow using it much worse than it's used here in regards to things like bunkers, amazing.

• GoldenBear likes this

#242 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

If the Master Clubs swing is significantly harder than it was in the stress test then I'll at least be able to enjoy the game for what it is.  But the swing that was in the stress test was BORING and back to TGC1 easiness.

The graphics.  Meh.  Agree with everyone else.  There are some tweaks but they are basically moving sideways, not forward.  Especially when you consider how bad the lighting is in TGC2 versus TGC1 and it doesn't look to be any better in TGC 2019.  Throw the speed trees in there and we are definitely taking a few steps backwards.  The upside with speed trees is that they are saying that there is no more tree pop-in.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#243 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

They definitely absolutely did not re-write anything from scratch unless it involved the trees I guess?

I don’t blame those for being excited that are excited over there.
It’s nice to be playing a game that’s under (publicly disclosed) active development, I get that part of things for sure.

That said, for all these multiple versions over the years, I just don’t think the game is actually evolving very much.

The best summaries of it all really are…
If you already liked TGC2, you are probably going to like TGC 2019.
But if you didn’t like TGC2, you are not going to like TGC 2019.

Not even close to enough has changed or evolved to move that needle in my opinion

So now you are agreeing with me.  I know I won't purchase TGC 1.3.

#244 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

So now you are agreeing with me.  I know I won't purchase TGC 1.3.

I honestly don’t recall what agreeing with you means on this topic exactly.

I know I was keeping an open mind through the beta, and still will as much as I can through release and reviews, but I honestly see very little that has changed and made it more appealing to me than the unappealing TGC2 was.

#245 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

only respond to yes-men who blow smoke up their butts.

Not true!  I'm a yes-man and I've been trying to elicit a response from them since February as to whether the XBox One X version will have 4K and/or HDR enhancement, and whether the spoiler leaderboards have been fixed for TGC 2019.... *crickets* on both questions. B)

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#246 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:06 PM

Not true!  I'm a yes-man and I've been trying to elicit a response from them since February as to whether the XBox One X version will have 4K and/or HDR enhancement, and whether the spoiler leaderboards have been fixed for TGC 2019.... *crickets* on both questions. B)

You aren't anything of the sort

Yes men are people who blow smoke up dev's butts so they can get some type of extra access.

I'll let you decide who that might be :)

#247 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:01 AM

The game still looks like a cartoon instead of a golf course. I'll be playing it on the simulator because it will be a free upgrade from TGC1 but I'm not buying the video game that's for sure.

Unfortunately, JNPG2 doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon so people don't have much of a selection for golf gaming.

#248 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

Now HB have license they are under pressure to move the game away from the casual Sunday knock about that TGC was originally touted as, so far that movement has only been a short shuffle.  Only giant strides will justify the license acquisition for 2019.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#249 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

Now HB have license they are under pressure to move the game away from the casual Sunday knock about that TGC was originally touted as, so far that movement has only been a short shuffle.  Only giant strides will justify the license acquisition for 2019.

Depends on the cost of the license.  It's not like anyone was knocking down the PGA Tours door to make a golf game.

It's a waste but maybe it wasn't a super expensive waste.  Of course they told us they spent a mil on mo capturing two people who have incredibly average golf swings so who knows

What we do know is there's a lot of dumb happening in that building

#250 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:36 PM

I don't have the game so maybe I'm not getting the whole picture, but I feel like these games are all the product of people who don't actually play golf. They are arcade games using a golf motif instead of a legit attempt to simulate actual golf, in my opinion.

I know there's a demand for that, so I won't dismiss it as pointless, but I feel like these games are geared towards a different audience that doesn't include me.

The avatars are always the same. There's always a fat guy in a kilt and an Asian girl with purple hair in a school girl uniform. Now if you like that sort of thing, well, that's fine.... but I have yet to ever play golf with anyone who remotely resembles either subject :)

• GoldenBear likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#251 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

I don't have the game so maybe I'm not getting the whole picture, but I feel like these games are all the product of people who don't actually play golf. They are arcade games using a golf motif instead of a legit attempt to simulate actual golf, in my opinion.

I know there's a demand for that, so I won't dismiss it as pointless, but I feel like these games are geared towards a different audience that doesn't include me.

The avatars are always the same. There's always a fat guy in a kilt and an Asian girl with purple hair in a school girl uniform. Now if you like that sort of thing, well, that's fine.... but I have yet to ever play golf with anyone who remotely resembles either subject :)

None of those things exist in TGC but you're not totally off in your theory.  They play golf, but not at a very high level.  Not that you need to in order to make a golf game but to get nuances down especially things like flop shots, bunker play, putting etc it can help.  For instance, their putting engine, which is the best there has ever been, still has the ball being affected way too soon in the putt so that it can't apex then break back towards the hole.

#252 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

Well, at least there will be one modern golf game out on the market. And for the Xbox... so whether you like it or not, there really isn't much to choose from, is there?

#253 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

Well, at least there will be one modern golf game out on the market. And for the Xbox... so whether you like it or not, there really isn't much to choose from, is there?

Sadly, this is the case Rob.  I personally find The Golf Club 2 playable and challenging, but not for all the right reasons.  If it weren't for the tempo component in TGC 2's swing, I'd have quit playing after 2 months, at the most.  It brings a variable component into the mix that requires some intuition to negotiate.  It winds up forcing me to swing the club at a 1:1 scaled pace that's unlike the 1:4 backswing to downswing ratio of my real life swing, but it does prevent the game from feeling like a 'flick-fest', IMO.  I like the fact that I can hit a bad shot by getting too quick with the tempo.  A Perfect/Fast backswing to downswing tempo is invariably going to result in a missed fairway or green, and I'm good for at least one or two of those a round.

I have a hunch that TGC 2019 will ultimately wind up being a little more difficult to go really low with using Master clubs, than TGC 2 using Tour clubs, but that may no be until after tuning changes are made post launch.  I'm curious to see how SpeedTrees are going to look on the XBox One and PS4.  I disliked the pop-in on the trees in TGC and TGC 2, along with the two-tone shading they had on trees in the distance.  Reportedly, both of these problems have been erased by SpeedTrees on the console versions, although it might come at the cost of some degree of image quality of trees in the close range.

M Rose' points have merit, although I know that much of the staff are golfers, and I know Shaun West in particular is.  I think the reason the game comes off looking as arcadish as it does is due to their desire to make it appealing to the average/casual golf fan.  At least they do give us some means to toughen it up to something more 'simish', but they still fall a bit short in not making things like excessive lofting a lockable option.   

I also think they're giving us more tools to create and even more reasonable likeness of ourselves with the character creator.  I didn't see that many outrageous designs with the character creator in TGC 2, but they didn't give you any option to change their weight or height.  I know that's in the new game and it will lead to some ridiculous designs, but I can handle that knowing I can get closer to creating something that represents me.  That's not important to a lot of gamers, but from years of using the character creation and Gameface of the Tiger Woods series, I know it somehow made me feel more invested or immersed in the game.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#254 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:01 AM

None of those things exist in TGC but you're not totally off in your theory.  They play golf, but not at a very high level.  Not that you need to in order to make a golf game but to get nuances down especially things like flop shots, bunker play, putting etc it can help.  For instance, their putting engine, which is the best there has ever been, still has the ball being affected way too soon in the putt so that it can't apex then break back towards the hole.

I've complained about that putting issue in their simulator forum. The freaking ball breaks as soon as you hit the thing.

#255 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:30 AM

I've complained about that putting issue in their simulator forum. The freaking ball breaks as soon as you hit the thing.

HB Studios produced some telemetry a while back that - in their mind - justifies the premature break of the ball off the putter face.  It was quite extensive.  I didn't buy the conclusions they were drawing from the telemetry, but it was a "case-closed" rebuttal in their book.   I've just slowly learned to subconsciously compensate for it, but when I got back and look at a replay sometimes, if find myself scratching my head!

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#256 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

I just hate all this catering for non golf players/enthusiasts by dumbing the game down, this never happened years ago, they would just be like there's your game, get on with it.  So many games out there that basically hold your hand from the get go.  PC gamers are a different breed compared to console, any game now that favours console over PC is a game worth avoiding.

• GoldenBear likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#257 AnthonyKyne

AnthonyKyne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

I think it boils down to the goals of the game from the outset and what compromises are willing to be made in regard to the original vision compared to sales you might make. I can tell you at PP we had zero interest in making an arcade game that would probably have sold more and got better reviews and to be honest our arcade game would probably have sucked anyway because we have limited experience in what they are all about anyway.

TGC set out to make a fairly easy to play pleasant game with an easy to use but limited course design program which would create maximum sales on all platforms. They did a pretty decent job with that goal in mind. They had more experienced graphics guys than us and so their UI, avatar and lighting was better and none of that was surprising. The thing is when I look at their graphics now and in this upcoming game they have, they simply have not moved on IMO apart from a slightly better avatar and hairstyle system  :)  

I do know that every single update we have made to PG was to make it a better and more realistic experience and while we were learning as we went our knowledge and skillset got better and better as we worked more on it. 

We didn't court publicity like HB studios did, We didn't not have any contacts in the game industry or online magazines and we had no idea how to get them. We went into the whole PG experience with half the knowledge we really needed to make the game a complete success.

Over the last 5 year though it has been a success but our roots are still mainly planted in the real golf game which we try and simulate and not a fictional arcade world which HB produce which sells at higher volumes and will sell even more with their new PGA license. We still have virtually no gaming contacts now but our integration with virtually every facet of the real golf world is pretty much complete. When you load up the PGA webcasts you will still be seeing PG graphics and not the HB studios ones because they and we know the accuracy and physics as well as our shotlink integration are currently the best out there. We're still trying to make them better.

I have previously purchased and played buth TGC 1 and 2 and I'll buy this one too but I'm not expecting anything but more of the same . I'm not actually sure why ADX doesn't come here more often as I'm 100% sure that we are actually trying to make the exact game that he wants to play but we're just not there yet!

I pop over here about once a week to read some new posts and there isn't normally much - I popped in this morning and there's been a ton of activity since my last visit :)

I was contemplating long and hard whether or not I should get involved in this discussion - but I think it's a really good post from Mike and as we're players of both's games (and I'm longer a part of HB or the TGC family) and you guys on forums are the most invested and interested it's good for you to understand the decision making process of making games/software. So let me give it a go 

Mike is correct about the goals at the start of the process and the compromises you're willing to make.

When we started looking at making TGC the reason was - we were golfers and gamers that hadn't really loved a golf game for years because nothing out there was representing the feelings you have when you were out on the course. We wanted to create something that hadn't come before not recreate something that had. So we created a set of rules that the game had to be

1) Every decision had to represent real golf

2) The game had to give you the same feeling of elation and deflation/anger you get out on the course and represent a game of golf with your friends

3) It should be more about knowledge and practice than your ability to execute a swing mechanic - meaning course management was more important than how good you were at moving the stick backwards and forwards

4) We couldn't afford to licence a ton of courses - so we'd allow the players to create their local courses and share them, giving us a huge library

5) It would never be fake - we wouldn't suck balls into the holes or push them away, we wouldn't use a huge set of pre-recorded flights to get a good ball flight - we'd use the physics and create an actual world where the ball and the surfaces would act as realistically as possible.

6) The game had to be about feel of the ball - short game was where holes would be won

7) The game had to be available on console - because the PC market was too small to justify the expenditure.

Everything outside that was up for debate - but any feature discussed must fit within those seven things.

If you look at the huge list of features we had written down and the huge list of features Mike had for PG - and even the huge lists each of you would want, I doubt they'd be much difference. But as Mike said, it's then a decision on what is a must and what isn't. At this point when I use the word budget or cost it's a combination of time and money.

We had a set budget and development time in mind - so we obviously couldn't do everything so we had to prioritise.

Course Designing and Game Play were the most important and took up most of the budget. We also needed to invest a decent amount of time into graphics otherwise it would be very hard to pass the concept submission with Sony and MS - especially that early in their life cycle when they want to show how powerful their machines are. 

So some features have to be delayed until a later release and more time and money are given to do them - So take a mm perfect course creator - which causes the issues with the bunkers which are mentioned so much here - wasn't as important as it being able to simply share courses across the internet to multiple machines without huge download times with GB's of data. This isn't a big deal to the vast majority of players - if you read any review for either TGC1 or 2 not one person cared - to please the extremely small minority to stop yourself moving to console or the ability to easily share courses you're shooting yourself in the foot. We improved on this hugely in TGC2 though and I'm sure you'll see it improved upon more in TGC2019, because of the PGA Licenece. So it's a step by step improvement as with some of the other features.

My big bug bear though is this belief that the game is anyway arcade - the game is not artificially difficult, the game still to this day has never been reviewed by either Polygon or Eurogamer because it's "too much of a simulation". It simulates ball flight, without the use of pre determined data, as good as any game out there. The physics against terrain is as good as anything out there as well. That doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement but it simulates that world pretty good. The game also simulates the feeling of playing golf really, really well. Making something really hard just to make scores realistic for guys that sit there with a spreadsheet and play 15 - 20 rounds a day, is not simulating golf it's only simulating a golf leaderboard. So I'd disagree we set out to make an "easy to play" game. I think we made a mistake with the off the Tee stuff - but that was rectified superbly in TGC2 and I really can't see anything in PG that simulates the game any better. And if you play TGC on the simulators or in VR it proves that it simulates the world pretty well.

3-click - although I was a fan - was dropped quickly because it didn't create the feel needed in short play. And with the analogue stick, I think we were the first game to ever really get a feel of the speed of the greens in putting - again another tip of the hat to the simulation. TGC2 improved the short game again and from the videos I've seen of TGC2019 it looks like another step forward.

So we then have a great core game - but it's the decisions you make at that point that make or break you. You can strive to have everything like a fan would, or you can work on the things needed to get the game to market to make sure you get a footing as a franchise and then continue to build as HB have done. I don't think they/we have ever courted publicity outside of the normal means of getting a preview or review in the golf and gaming press. If you don't do that you're dead in the water, but I definitely didn't dress up in a bikini and strut my stuff up and down oxford st :)

Also squeals are never going to be a complete re-write, I've not seen one bit of software that is - not just a game, why reinvent the wheel? A squeal is where enough functionality has been worked on to make the game a different product. The swing mechanic itself proved that when we tried to update on TGC1 people went mad - so we had to make a different game. But there were massive re-writes and overhauls of huge areas of TGC foundation between 1 and 2 and I'm sure there will be again this time around. The player creator - which a huge amount of people wanted - cost around $1million alone. So was well justified in getting a squeal out and again looking at TGC2019, there's tons in there that justifies it as a new game. It's not just a data update like some sports titles.

If I was to look back over the last few years - TGC and PG are golf games with the same end goals. One is made by software developers as a passion project, on top of a successful business and the other is made by games developers- who are golf fans - who have a little more knowledge of growing a game franchise because it is their business. I doubt the budgets between TGC1 and PG were that different. I think it was just the priority order to get to a product that was releasable were different. Mistakes will be made by both on the way and both teams will learn- but if they support each other along the way the genre will grow and not put us back in a place where one game dominates. Which is surely good for everyone

• scajjr29 and DivotMaker like this

#258 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

Great post Anthony!  Glad you chimed in and it's cool to hear thoughts from two developers from two different games.

I don't disagree with anything you said and I think I can safely say that nothing in your post would surprise any hardcore/forum users.  What creates spirited comments and differences of opinions on two different games comes down to expectations and perception.

For instance... I personally think that JNPG is a more technically sound simulation experience.  I think the physics are more true to real life and there are fewer (frankly, very few) instances/scenarios in JNPG that I don't think quite match up to real golf.  TGC on the other hand is a very good simulation but it's got many more areas that I don't think quite match up to real golf (loft box, short game in general, the way the ball reacts off the putter, etc).  Oddly enough, TGC2 gets about 80% of my time and JNPG gets 20%.  This is because I find that I can use my own house rules to overcome the sim shortcomings (in my opinion) of TGC to get a good experience AND I like the TGC avatar/animation much better because it's real time which is much more immersive for me.  The limitation on this is when it comes down to multiplayer.  I pretty much have to be content with playing solo or just knowing that I'm going to get smoked because everyone else is using all the tools available to them which I personally feel make the game lean too far towards an arcade game for my liking.

So in my opinion, TGC IS more arcade like and JNPG is more sim like.  They are both great games and both have tremendous potential.  I hope to see TGC continue to evolve more towards the sim side by properly addressing the loft box (AKA Dial-a-Distance) and shoring up some of the short game stuff.  That's not to say that TGC2 isn't a huge step in the right direction.  It has been for sure.

Just my $0.02 based purely on my experience and perspective.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#259 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

Anthony, thanks for weighing in with your thoughts in this thread... I found your comments to be enlightening.  I'm shocked to read that the cost of the player creator was a million dollars!?  :huh:   Was that the cost of just the player creator, or does that also include the cost of the mo-caps?

I hope that they didn't have to pump too much more money into the player creator to allow height and weight changes to be made for TGC 2019.  I'm 6'4" tall and while my created player in TGC 2 has the same frame I have in terms of weight and proportions, I had a hard time relating to Kirk Oguri's 5'9" height from an immersion standpoint.  

Oh, one other pointer for the forum here... if you want to create a new paragraph, you have to skip two lines (or better yet, hit the enter key twice) to define the next one  ;)

BTW, let's hook up for some truly "live" multiplayer once the game is released... you down with it?  Oh, on which platform will you be playing TGC 2019?

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#260 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:16 PM

Anthony, thanks for weighing in with your thoughts in this thread... I found your comments to be enlightening.  I'm shocked to read that the cost of the player creator was a million dollars!?  :huh:   Was that the cost of just the player creator, or does that also include the cost of the mo-caps?

I hope that they didn't have to pump too much more money into the player creator to allow height and weight changes to be made for TGC 2019.  I'm 6'4" tall and while my created player in TGC 2 has the same frame I have in terms of weight and proportions, I had a hard time relating to Kirk Oguri's 5'9" height from an immersion standpoint.  

Oh, one other pointer for the forum here... if you want to create a new paragraph, you have to skip two lines to define the next one  ;)

LOL!  Was thinking the same thing.  I do have to say though that it's very odd.  It never posts the way it looks in the editor!

Also, while we are at it... TGC 2019 is a sequel to TGC2, not a squeal.   :D  :D  :D

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users