#281 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

You can make a screen shot with TGC with the sun at the correct angle that makes the game look more realistic, but by doing this you also have holes where the sun is at your back and its just horrible looking, the bunkers look flat and worse than they do normally.  PG does not rely on the sun position to look decent and realistic.  If you can find a course in TGC that has a noon sun setting you will see just how bad TGC's textures can be, you will also see how ugly the bunkers can be.  You don't get that issue with PG, there should be nothing subjective about it as its plain to see.

• GoldenBear likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#282 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:16 PM

I play both on the sim and JNPG 100% looks more like you're on a real course playing. If they ever get around to adding hi res grass and update the graphics a bit it wont even be close IMO. Tgc is just so colorful but not in a good way, its blown out almost cartoony for lack of a better word I guess.
  • Jesus Jones and GoldenBear like this

#283 AnthonyKyne

AnthonyKyne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

Graphics will always be subjective.  Some think TGC looks awesome and JNPG looks like garbage and some thing the other way around.  And some (like me) think they both look good with pros and cons to each.  

But when it comes to "arcade" type play I'd say that either game can easily lean towards arcade if you want them to.  However, TGC clearly has more arcade type elements to it - the loft box, and new features in 2019 like the full shot preview, aiming circle, and even a shot fast forward feature.  The closest you can get to arcade type play in JNPG is lowering the difficulty level and using things like overhead aiming in the map.

The good news is that both games can also be played as very good sims.  Still, to me, JNPG offers the best simulation experience.  But TGC offers a solid experience as well.  I simply prefer TGC's overall experience mainly due to the golfer animation.  I really feel like if JNPG ever gets a better avatar and 3D grass that I'd probably spend most of my time with this title rather than TGC.  But that's just one dude's view of the golf game universe.  

I can't talk about the new features because they weren't on any list when I left and so I don't know the thinking behind them. The loft box/shot shaper thouogh - was never meant to be as manipulative as it became. It was a UI decision by me to reduce the steps of grip and foot placement combining it into one. Giving you the ability to create the shot types you would out on the course without the need to bring up multiple UI elements to do it.

When we created it and tested it - it worked exactly as I wanted it to. It gave me the ability to loft the club, add the spin I wanted, etc in a really easy to use way that was analogue enough that you couldn't be accurate with yardage. The thing we didn't take into account was you guys were way better than us at video game golf and way way more fanatical - so you all found a way to manipulate it to basically get the exact distance you wanted. If you watch me play now - I still don't even "dial a distance" on either 1 or 2, because I don't have the time or patience to work out the clicks to get the yards I want.

We were looking at improving it for TGC2, which did happen, but it obviously didn't go far enough. It'll be interesting to see what the guys do this year.

#284 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:10 PM

I can't talk about the new features because they weren't on any list when I left and so I don't know the thinking behind them. The loft box/shot shaper thouogh - was never meant to be as manipulative as it became. It was a UI decision by me to reduce the steps of grip and foot placement combining it into one. Giving you the ability to create the shot types you would out on the course without the need to bring up multiple UI elements to do it.
When we created it and tested it - it worked exactly as I wanted it to. It gave me the ability to loft the club, add the spin I wanted, etc in a really easy to use way that was analogue enough that you couldn't be accurate with yardage. The thing we didn't take into account was you guys were way better than us at video game golf and way way more fanatical - so you all found a way to manipulate it to basically get the exact distance you wanted. If you watch me play now - I still don't even "dial a distance" on either 1 or 2, because I don't have the time or patience to work out the clicks to get the yards I want.
We were looking at improving it for TGC2, which did happen, but it obviously didn't go far enough. It'll be interesting to see what the guys do this year.

Makes sense. I just don't use the loft box at all and I find the game very enjoyable and realistic that way.

I hope they eventually address it so that it can't be manipulated to be a dial-a-distance tool.
  • JTee1 likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#285 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

Please expand

I do not know what there is to explain.  Saying it looks arcade means it does not look realistic.  Add to that the horrid looking bunkers and you have an arcade looking golf game.  DoGgs explained it perfectly.

#286 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

And that's the problem that arises when the "real" players don't get to test things to death during development. 

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#287 AnthonyKyne

AnthonyKyne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:11 PM

And that's the problem that arises when the "real" players don't get to test things to death during development. 

We had a full month Beta test and changed the game considerably during that time. But if you make the period any longer - the "real" players won't buy it. Because they've already played it to death. At the end of the day - you have to make money or you can't keep improving it

#288 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

Dogz still thinks all grass looks poor like the crap in the UK because he's never been on a perfectly manicured higher end course like we have in the states.

Look at the open this week, dear lord, Carnoustie goes out of business if it's located where I live.  Those conditions are not accepted by paying golfers.  We have $40 greens fee courses in 5x better condition that are better designs too.

So his opinion is poorly formed because he only knows poor turf conditions.  Those of us who wasted a week and took a UK based golf trip can save the flight and just go to Florida if we want terrible grass and boring flat golf.

I know plenty of people who live there insist it's the only way to go but that's really because you've never teed it up on a perfect condition golf course with tons of undulation and variety and memorable holes.  The only hole on Carnoustie anyone remembers is 18 and it's pretty gimmicky compared to the rest of the course.

Every tee shot at St Andrews looks the same as well.

Just like we saw at the US Open this year and how they browned out, and ruined, Shinnecock.  I played Bethpage Black the day before Round 1 and had absolutely perfect conditions with rough WAY harder than at Shinneyouknowtherestr because it hasn't been ruined by #opendoctoring

Anyone who thinks JNPG looks better than TGC2 from a texture standpoint should get an eye exam.  Bunker wise?  yes for sure, but there isn't anything else that looks remotely better especially the unidimensional flat as all get out rough texture.  What happened to that 3d grass you guys were drooling over?  

#289 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

We had a full month Beta test and changed the game considerably during that time. But if you make the period any longer - the "real" players won't buy it. Because they've already played it to death. At the end of the day - you have to make money or you can't keep improving it

They listened to nothing 2nd time around after you left

The game got worse as the test went on and ended up the debacle that came out

I specifically brought up the phantom right to left breaker that was in TGC1 as well and the completely idiotic chip land ball warp fiasco that still exists in the game and not only was nothing done they never even acknowledged it happened.

I know you're the good guy and won't ever admit it but if you stayed TGC2 is 100x better and the next one is something to be excited about instead of more boring DLC disguised as a new game.

#290 AnthonyKyne

AnthonyKyne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

I do not know what there is to explain.  Saying it looks arcade means it does not look realistic.  Add to that the horrid looking bunkers and you have an arcade looking golf game.  DoGgs explained it perfectly.

And as I pointed out with the Mario Golf picture - that's the definition of arcade, with fire coming off the ball and all that jazz.

Dogz had the ability to put together the argument - you just saying "it looks arcade" without anything to back that up is pretty offensive to 100s of hours of work by people. And it's why I want to find the root of the argument.

The bunker issue - I've already explained - would you lose the ability to create and share courses on console basically killing the game before it had started just to please the very very few. No review has ever mentioned it, it's cost the game i'd say 30 sales at most. Not having it on consoles would have meant hundreds of thousands. So definitely not perfect but definitely not arcade

• DivotMaker likes this

#291 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

adx ur just sore because you had faith in the product, i never had that faith... I played rugby 15, so i kinda knew. Sports games were never their forte to begin with, but at least they are trying to make games that have a niche market, so credit to them for that.

• cajuncapgun and GoldenBear like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#292 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

adx ur just sore because you had faith in the product, i never had that faith... I played rugby 15, so i kinda knew. Sports games were never their forte to begin with, but at least they are trying to make games that have a niche market, so credit to them for that.

I'm not sore at anything but you've only been exposed to poor turfgrass conditions which forms your opinion on what golf game textures should look like.  You penalize TGC textures as looking too artificial yet that's exactly how high-quality golf course grass looks here.  

#293 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:14 PM

I agree with ADX and also somewhat disagree. The thing I like about JNPG is that you CAN get all that variety of different looks. In TGC it's nearly perfect all the time.

There's no real way to recreate a municipal type course in TGC. At least not in a believable way.
  • GoldenBear likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#294 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:41 PM

And as I pointed out with the Mario Golf picture - that's the definition of arcade, with fire coming off the ball and all that jazz.

Dogz had the ability to put together the argument - you just saying "it looks arcade" without anything to back that up is pretty offensive to 100s of hours of work by people. And it's why I want to find the root of the argument.

The bunker issue - I've already explained - would you lose the ability to create and share courses on console basically killing the game before it had started just to please the very very few. No review has ever mentioned it, it's cost the game i'd say 30 sales at most. Not having it on consoles would have meant hundreds of thousands. So definitely not perfect but definitely not arcade

I shall stand by what i have said and SEE with my own eyes.  Compared to JNPG your TGC take #3 still looks arcade.  I cannot change what my eyes see.

#295 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:43 PM

But you didn't get the "real" "savvy" players to test otherwise they would have seen how counter productive that shot shaper was and of course, knowing that you would have gone in a different direction. It's not about anything but quality of testing.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#296 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:43 PM

Definitely some interesting takes on the definition of "arcade".

Mario Golf is arcade. Golden Tee is an arcade game.

Tiger Woods had arcade elements such as after shot boost and the ability to draw/fade the ball after shot as well. The initial Tiger Woods for PC had "TIGER SHOT" when you hit a perfect shot, flames would be flying out with the ball.  They never used that in any future Tiger PC product.

There are arcade features in Hot Shots Golf. But it also is supposed to play a very realistic game.

If a game forces the user to utilize arcade features, then the game should be labelled "arcade".

TGC / TGC2 have NONE of the above. TGC2019 looks to also have NONE of the above as well.

It is comical when some users throw around labels when they really don't know what they are talking about.

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#297 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:46 PM

When something does not look like real life in a golf sim it can and shall be labelled arcade.  

It is comical when some users cannot see the writing on the wall.

#298 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:47 PM

Dogz still thinks all grass looks poor like the crap in the UK because he's never been on a perfectly manicured higher end course like we have in the states.

Look at the open this week, dear lord, Carnoustie goes out of business if it's located where I live.  Those conditions are not accepted by paying golfers.  We have $40 greens fee courses in 5x better condition that are better designs too.

So his opinion is poorly formed because he only knows poor turf conditions.  Those of us who wasted a week and took a UK based golf trip can save the flight and just go to Florida if we want terrible grass and boring flat golf.

I know plenty of people who live there insist it's the only way to go but that's really because you've never teed it up on a perfect condition golf course with tons of undulation and variety and memorable holes.  The only hole on Carnoustie anyone remembers is 18 and it's pretty gimmicky compared to the rest of the course.

Every tee shot at St Andrews looks the same as well.

Just like we saw at the US Open this year and how they browned out, and ruined, Shinnecock.  I played Bethpage Black the day before Round 1 and had absolutely perfect conditions with rough WAY harder than at Shinneyouknowtherestr because it hasn't been ruined by #opendoctoring

Anyone who thinks JNPG looks better than TGC2 from a texture standpoint should get an eye exam.  Bunker wise?  yes for sure, but there isn't anything else that looks remotely better especially the unidimensional flat as all get out rough texture.  What happened to that 3d grass you guys were drooling over?  

Way off the mark as usual. Good job the top players in the world don't listen to this baloney. They're quite happy to enjoy the real links golf experience over here and see it as an essential part of increasing their skill sets.

• GoldenBear likes this

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#299 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:56 PM

When something does not look like real life in a golf sim it can and shall be labelled arcade.  

It is comical when some users cannot see the writing on the wall.

When someone takes their OPINION and tries to force that biased OPINION on others as fact, that is indeed comical.

You're entitled to your biased opinion. I am entitled to mine. Therefore, you are not "right" and neither am I.

• MERACE likes this
PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#300 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:06 AM

Definitely some interesting takes on the definition of "arcade".

Mario Golf is arcade. Golden Tee is an arcade game.

Tiger Woods had arcade elements such as after shot boost and the ability to draw/fade the ball after shot as well. The initial Tiger Woods for PC had "TIGER SHOT" when you hit a perfect shot, flames would be flying out with the ball. They never used that in any future Tiger PC product.

There are arcade features in Hot Shots Golf. But it also is supposed to play a very realistic game.

If a game forces the user to utilize arcade features, then the game should be labelled "arcade".

TGC / TGC2 have NONE of the above. TGC2019 looks to also have NONE of the above as well.

It is comical when some users throw around labels when they really don't know what they are talking about.

Full shot previews are very much arcade.

The current loft box (and presumably the future loft box) are very aracde.

To say that TGC has no arcade elements is a stretch.

I really enjoy TGC because I turn all that garbage off (or chose not to use it) but the fact that those features exist clearly earns it the label of being more arcade.

Just my $0.02.
  • GoldenBear likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users