1822 replies to this topic

#261 AnthonyKyne

AnthonyKyne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

LOL!  Was thinking the same thing.  I do have to say though that it's very odd.  It never posts the way it looks in the editor!

Also, while we are at it... TGC 2019 is a sequel to TGC2, not a squeal.   :D  :D  :D

Hahaha - damn auto correct

#262 AnthonyKyne

AnthonyKyne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

Anthony, thanks for weighing in with your thoughts in this thread... I found your comments to be enlightening.  I'm shocked to read that the cost of the player creator was a million dollars!?  :huh:   Was that the cost of just the player creator, or does that also include the cost of the mo-caps?

I hope that they didn't have to pump too much more money into the player creator to allow height and weight changes to be made for TGC 2019.  I'm 6'4" tall and while my created player in TGC 2 has the same frame I have in terms of weight and proportions, I had a hard time relating to Kirk Oguri's 5'9" height from an immersion standpoint.  

Oh, one other pointer for the forum here... if you want to create a new paragraph, you have to skip two lines (or better yet, hit the enter key twice) to define the next one  ;)

BTW, let's hook up for some truly "live" multiplayer once the game is released... you down with it?  Oh, on which platform will you be playing TGC 2019?

Surprised you were surprised at that - I said it in loads of Interviews at the E3 we announced the game.

Each feature is a huge expense - that's why it always makes me laugh when people say "you only have to do that". Once you start totting up time, tools and outsource work it just keeps clocking up.

It's why you can't just create the all encompassing golf game in one hit - you could spend $100million easy. You need to find a niche and build something that is good enough to stand by itself, create a fan base and then has the ability to grow. 

• DivotMaker likes this

#263 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

Hahaha - damn auto correct

Figured that's what was going on there!  LOL!

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#264 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

Surprised you were surprised at that - I said it in loads of Interviews at the E3 we announced the game.

Each feature is a huge expense - that's why it always makes me laugh when people say "you only have to do that". Once you start totting up time, tools and outsource work it just keeps clocking up.

It's why you can't just create the all encompassing golf game in one hit - you could spend $100million easy. You need to find a niche and build something that is good enough to stand by itself, create a fan base and then has the ability to grow. 

Been telling folks this for years.....glad a former developer has stated the same thing.

In essence, a golf game developer or any game developer cannot possibly be or create a product that is the be all end all product because it would never get released and cost hundreds of millions to develop.....

Thanks for stopping by to offer your insights AK....you are still missed at HB Studios, but the game is in really good hands regardless of what some who have posted here think. Hope you and your Family are doing well now that you are home again.

• AnthonyKyne likes this
PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#265 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

If i'm honest, i have fond memories of my time in TGC.  I enjoyed using GNCD and even though i found the game play easy, there was no other golf title out there apart from the older titles like links and PGA 2000.  Then PG came along and although initially it was not great and improvements were slow, they got there in the end.  That end result is not perfect but in my opinion its the best out there.  TGC 2 was a serious disappointment for me.  Compare these two shots from both games... the 45 yd pitch in TGC and TGC 2 and the 40 yd pitch in PG.  Initially the pitch shot in PG would stop on a dime as it does in TGC, the guys at PG made the bold decision to remove this stop on a dime shot and add roll out instead, this upset a few but for difficulty and game enjoyment sake it had to be done, now you have to gauge and work the shot to get close.  Now imagine you have you have a 45 yd approx pitch in TGC to save par or make your birdie, i can confidently say i would make that par or bird almost every time, even the longer pitch shots can get you that bird or par without too much effort.  This is only one example that makes me favour PG over TGC, it may not even seem that big a deal, but its a massive deal as i don't want a game where i know for sure i will save par or make bird.  Playing a pitch with PG has me looking closely at the green for breaks, am i pitching onto a down slope or up slope and what stimp/conditions am i playing, it's no gimme.  Then we have the tee shots with tempo, generally its not bad at all with TGC 2 but PG off the tee with the dispersion level you get playing pro or tour pro is much more difficult to master assuming you are using a legitimate controller, and the crucial thing with PG is i know exactly what i have done with the controller swing if i hook or slice one, some off the tee shots playing TGC 2 have baffled me.  In short, if you have a fair and hard to master tee shot like PG you do not need to add a tempo because to achieve tour pro consistency with PG's swing you have to impose what i would call a virtual tempo anyway.  Try playing TP with an erratic swing tempo and you will get nowhere fast

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#266 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

King Kyne and Magic Mike
Mano a Mano

Edit: fixed error made by my phone.
Sorry about that everyone…

I think my phone figured that since we are in the TGC thread we should have some things that are wrong, sort of like the TGC bunkers and the way sloped putts start breaking straight off the putter.

#267 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

Mano A Mano

Damn auto correct strikes again?

http://www.english-for-students.com/Mono-E-Mono.html

(Sorry, I'm mentally incapable of not pointing that out. I worship words. Spelling OCD!)

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#268 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

Mano A Mano

(Sorry, I'm mentally incapable of not pointing that out. I worship words. Spelling OCD!)

I learned something new today!  I always thought it was Mano...

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#269 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

I may be confusing what is meant by player creator.  In my mind, player creator was just the facility for altering your player's physical appearance, but now that I've gone back and read a post of yours from October 2016 about this where you mention a million dollars, you lumped mo-cap, player models, and clubs together as a collection for that cost.  I can see that getting in the million dollar price tag range.  Am I just misinterpreting what you mean by player creator?

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#270 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

Mano A Mano

I’m on a phone using dictation (traveling)

Edit: fixed the OP

#271 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

I’m on a phone using dictation (traveling)

I STILL would've messed it up even if I were typing it and I consider myself to be a bit of a grammar snob.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#272 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

You Tube gamer TheApexHound seems to have a pre-release copy of TGC2019 and has been playing with one of the HBS Dev guys. Here's a video for folks to make of the game what they will.

#273 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:38 PM

Multiplayer looks to be working really well.  That's refreshing to see.

The trees look much better now than in previous videos and the lighting (at least on this course in these conditions) looked very good.

I'm cautiously optimistic that they might have made the Tour swing significantly harder because Shaun was struggling a little bit and I've played his ghost enough times to know that he's a decent player.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#274 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

You Tube gamer TheApexHound seems to have a pre-release copy of TGC2019 and has been playing with one of the HBS Dev guys. Here's a video for folks to make of the game what they will.

It was a pretty tight match even though the ApexHound was playing with Pro clubs and Shaun was playing with Master clubs.  I would have liked to have seen how ApexHound might have fared with the Master clubs, but he got himself into a couple of sticky spots with the Pro.  I love the offset rear view of your playing companions, and the way it toggles a bit to keep it from looking locked in.  The angle looks vaguely familiar from the right.... wonder where I've seen that before?  ;)   

I was very impressed with what I saw out of this so far.  This is a good way to show off a golf game, IMO.  Jordan Ault added a lot of information as he looked on.  The ApexHound was a good choice for this; I like his style and he asked some pretty tough questions!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#275 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:01 AM

Man that looks so arcade!  What a complete fail.

• Tigers Agent and IanK like this

#276 AnthonyKyne

AnthonyKyne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

Man that looks so arcade!  What a complete fail.

Please expand

#277 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:15 PM

Please expand

He prob means that it leans towards arcade in terms of the general look of the textures/game, if you compare the two games its quite easy to see which one portrays a more realistic look.  Thats part of the problem with TGC, i never felt that i was out on real course with all its imperfections, TGC is almost other worldly.

zegJJIu.jpg

• GoldenBear likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#278 AnthonyKyne

AnthonyKyne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:04 PM

Interesting - I think if you compare those two screenshots the PG one looks more like a photo from a real course. But I think once you see the games playing in real time or even took a screenshot from the same camera position - there isn't much difference in look of realism. TGC looks more realistic in some screenshots

https://media.playst...ousel_Original$

But I wouldn't class it as arcade - the term is completely misused on this forum and among the video golf community. This is what arcade means

81182_3ds_mariogolfwt_022013_scrn01.jpg

#279 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

The comparison here is a bit misleading in terms of PG as a whole because the texture you see in the PG screen is one i created myself, so it's unique to the courses i have used it on, either way it still looks more realistic imo. With TGC it's as if the whole course has been laid with artificial grass, this makes it look too pristine, hence the lean towards arcade, obviously not like mario image lol just leaning towards it compared to PG.

ZRhVxQR.jpg

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#280 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:18 PM

Graphics will always be subjective.  Some think TGC looks awesome and JNPG looks like garbage and some thing the other way around.  And some (like me) think they both look good with pros and cons to each.  

But when it comes to "arcade" type play I'd say that either game can easily lean towards arcade if you want them to.  However, TGC clearly has more arcade type elements to it - the loft box, and new features in 2019 like the full shot preview, aiming circle, and even a shot fast forward feature.  The closest you can get to arcade type play in JNPG is lowering the difficulty level and using things like overhead aiming in the map.

The good news is that both games can also be played as very good sims.  Still, to me, JNPG offers the best simulation experience.  But TGC offers a solid experience as well.  I simply prefer TGC's overall experience mainly due to the golfer animation.  I really feel like if JNPG ever gets a better avatar and 3D grass that I'd probably spend most of my time with this title rather than TGC.  But that's just one dude's view of the golf game universe.  

• JTee1 likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users