83 replies to this topic

#21 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

And Crow, like Andrew, shouldn't have to be a one-man-show and take on all the work by themselves.  There are plenty of us in the community that would volunteer to help, or be the backup.

That's all I am saying... heck, there might even be multiple tournaments set up by different people, each with different variety and players have a choice to play one or the other, or play them all!    

Not "ragging" on the guy or attacking anyone, just making a mere suggestion...

#22 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

I don't know if JNPG is setup right now like Links and even TGC2 where others could setup events at their leisure.  I setup events for two different leagues in Links and many of my own events and would love to do it again and with Retirement real close now maybe by the end of the year I will have more than enough time to do it.  In a perfect world people could go into the game like in links and create events and give people more to play but again right now it isn't there and we do have plenty of free events to play when needed on a weekly basis.  

#23 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

You'll be the only one left soon G

I don't get that Ted as why would people leave and where are they going to find a golf game as good as this?  Links 2003 has been alive for over 15 years and they are still playing events there today at LSPN and this week alone at PGLS we had over 105 players playing the Players Event.  I think the problem is that people want the perfect game of golf and to experience it in front of their monitor but that will never happen with any video game and to be honest this game comes as close as we have ever seen.  A video game is entertainment and that is it as the only way to get real is to go play IRL and most here that are playing everyday I will bet if this is all we get will still be playing five years from now.  

#24 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

Let me be honest here G..........

As far as I'm concerned Perfect Golf is the best golf game on the PC by far. I've played my share over the years - including Links - and there is no doubt this game has reached a level well above anything I have seen.

It might not be perfect but it was coming close. I can also say with all honesty I'm completely happy playing PC golf instead of the real ordeal. So, therefore, I would like PG to reach it's potential as a competitive vehicle. There's no reason why it can't grow as a competitive vehicle.

So why hasn't there been a permanent weekly Official tournament. I'm not having a go at Crow. Crow isn't the problem. The lobby and official tournaments could be the real focus until the day something changes. It doesn't make sense not to.

OGT. I don't want to pay money for my comps and I don't particularly like the setup at PGLS (with respect). I would like to just hit the lobby and do the Official tournament thing. Quick, simple, no nonsense. There won't be any swing method restrictions either.

#25 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Let me be honest here G..........

As far as I'm concerned Perfect Golf is the best golf game on the PC by far. I've played my share over the years - including Links - and there is no doubt this game has reached a level well above anything I have seen.

It might not be perfect but it was coming close. I can also say with all honesty I'm completely happy playing PC golf instead of the real ordeal. So, therefore, I would like PG to reach it's potential as a competitive vehicle. There's no reason why it can't grow as a competitive vehicle.

So why hasn't there been a permanent weekly Official tournament. I'm not having a go at Crow. Crow isn't the problem. The lobby and official tournaments could be the real focus until the day something changes. It doesn't make sense not to.

OGT. I don't want to pay money for my comps and I don't particularly like the setup at PGLS (with respect). I would like to just hit the lobby and do the Official tournament thing. Quick, simple, no nonsense. There won't be any swing method restrictions either.

Point taken Ted and yes it would have been nice to have official weekly tournaments and that's what we all thought would happen when the game came out but never did.  We can hope that someday there will be many official events but my gut says it will remain as it is as even in links it was a third party like LSPN that hosted the events and I don't see that changing here.

#26 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

is there a way to access the leaderboards from the social site?

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#27 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

I would make a suggestion in the Perfect Golf Feature Request forum that the name Social Site be changed to something more fitting but I also recommended doing away with the Perfect Golf Feature Request forum. But good luck finding anything there Dave.

Crow....maybe if you just wipe that tournament and try again. It's faintly depressing checking each morning.

Why does PG always have to be an exercise in frustration?

There is this sense of abandonment here that is palpable and yet the game is still selling merrily on Steam for $35. 

#28 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

...official weekly tournaments and that's what we all thought would happen when the game came out but never did.  

I've seen Official Tourneys with over 200 participants in the past. It was amazing.

#29 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

sad as hell

kinda like having a pizza in a see through box, that there is no way to open

dang now im hungry.lol

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#30 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

I've seen Official Tourneys with over 200 participants in the past. It was amazing.

Ted I know for some reason you don't like playing PGLS but last week we had over 112 in the regular event and every week is about the same and the Classic gets about a 100.  Those are pretty big fields and well worth playing imho.

#31 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

Two words G...............level changes.

There's a lot of 9 hole stuff as well that doesn't appeal to me. Plus some other things.

But good luck to them.

#32 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:19 AM

Ted - just play the handicapped Classics.  It's very well balanced.

Greens - empty your PMs (here), I want to send you something.

#33 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:29 AM

Ted - just play the handicapped Classics.  It's very well balanced.

Greens - empty your PMs (here), I want to send you something.

Done and good luck in final round of Classic as we got a great battle going on.

#34 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

Ted,

The way the level changes works is somewhat different to what you would have known from your earlier visit.

Yes, we do still move a player upwards if he is significantly outscoring his contemporaries at one level. We see that as welcoming players to a new challenge to keep it fresh. We can't of course move players past the highest level.... we can only issue blindfolds and bend their clubs at that level.

However, if you are not achieving an average in events of 71 over 18 holes, based on a sampled range of your scoring over the past month, then we offer the chance to drop back down and play at the higher end of the lower ability group.

This serves to make the events even more competitive, moving as many players as possible to a level where they are not feeling on the wrong side of par, whilst still maintaining 'career' progression and moving on those who are in danger of dominating at a level no longer presenting the challenge they should be looking for in competition.

We'd very much welcome you coming back to have a further look, and will provide a much fuller explanation of how movement works if you wish.

Mike

#35 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your suggestion.

Unfortunately I have no desire to play at Pro level RTS-M. I have a real need to have some control over the ball.

#36 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

We offer levels of Hacker through to Tour Pro... you simply start at Pro so you can be assessed and placed into your suitable level

As your scoring record already has enough for us to assess, you would be moved to Amateur on request with no problem at all.

You are also 7 rounds away from gaining a handicap.

#37 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the info Mike.

I'll get into it and see how it plays out.

Much obliged.

#38 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:14 PM

Any luck with Official tourneys Crow?

#39 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:09 PM

The Advantage OGT, PGLS and PG has that the average players like you and me is the use of the API and a server to run tournaments w/o it being completely manual.  

At one time I thought the social site was to have country clubs, where In My View, groups of like minded players could gather for tournaments and funner rounds among themselves.     What happened to that idea?  Or am I totally mistaken about the social site? 

Davefv and I tried a ladder site using cases ladder but interest was low and it was shut down.  Same thing was tried at OGT using a Challonge site with the same results. 

OGT offers Match Play events but runs a week long and can be played separately.  Then match winners moves on to the next week and so on.  PGLS  has a similar system in place. 

Servers cost money, and not just pocket change at that.  So this has a price tag.  How you fund that server is debatable.  And can even cost friends.  EA Sports could not do it and Microsoft couldn't do it.  Both well funded enterprises.  So I do not know what the answer is. 

I am completely happy and thankful with what we have.

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#40 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:08 AM

The social site is a horrible mess. Probably only good for buying courses (good luck with that) and simulator stuff.

It looks like clubs have been abandoned. There doesn't seem to be any way to request forming a club.

Must be wonderful for new players and a great excuse for a refund.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users