#21 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:57 PM

Yes but my feeling is that PC/Console players are likely going to keep access.  Otherwise just kill off the PG name and use the already released with a better userinterface Trackman Virtual Golf.

You can see the skinned PG1 in this video.

I will say the new UI does look nice.

Well even Skytrack members are going to "keep access" as you will apparently have the option to renew.  I just think that all resources will be used to benefit TM and commercial uses which is exactly what they should do.  That's where the money is.  Why waste any time building a career mode for PC/console guys?  Why waste any time further enhancing ANYTHING to do with a control method other than a simulator setup (and even there - very specifically the TM hardware)?

This is what I said from the time the whole TM deal became public and I still fully expect it will be the case.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#22 schmidt61059

schmidt61059

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:00 PM

I hope I'm not just being stupid here, but I don't quite understand the original post or what's going on. I bought the PG annual subscription back in, like, March. Does this mean I have to "renew" before June 18 to keep using it after that point? That would suck. Or do I just have to renew when my year is up?

And generally this news, if verified, really sucks. Contra the discussion, I DID go with PG/Skytrak for the software, mainly because I could then play my home course, which I had roughed out in Course Forge using lidar and satellite imagery. It needs some tweaking, but it's very realistic already. I'd REALLY hate to lose access to that, and I'd REALLY hate to fork over the massive license fee for TGC, even if TGC 2019 promises to be better.

Finally, I'm interested in the source of the original post. Where's this news coming from?

#23 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:26 PM

I hope I'm not just being stupid here, but I don't quite understand the original post or what's going on. I bought the PG annual subscription back in, like, March. Does this mean I have to "renew" before June 18 to keep using it after that point? That would suck. Or do I just have to renew when my year is up?

And generally this news, if verified, really sucks. Contra the discussion, I DID go with PG/Skytrak for the software, mainly because I could then play my home course, which I had roughed out in Course Forge using lidar and satellite imagery. It needs some tweaking, but it's very realistic already. I'd REALLY hate to lose access to that, and I'd REALLY hate to fork over the massive license fee for TGC, even if TGC 2019 promises to be better.

Finally, I'm interested in the source of the original post. Where's this news coming from?

News came from Andrew himself in an email to me.   Since you're a current subscriber, you will have the option to renew just before your year is up.  I believe Skytrak normally sends out renewal emails?

The June 18th deadline is for new JNPG Skytrak customers only.

#24 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

Well even Skytrack members are going to "keep access" as you will apparently have the option to renew.  I just think that all resources will be used to benefit TM and commercial uses which is exactly what they should do.  That's where the money is.  Why waste any time building a career mode for PC/console guys?  Why waste any time further enhancing ANYTHING to do with a control method other than a simulator setup (and even there - very specifically the TM hardware)?

This is what I said from the time the whole TM deal became public and I still fully expect it will be the case.

Andrew did say to not ask about the career mode.... :)

In terms of time and resources for various LM integrations, that's already done, including the TM Virtual Golf integration.   So, using my rough estimates of total JNPG sim subscribers, that's 600X$250 per year.  Equals $150,000 per year gross before steam and partner fees.  No doubt it doesn't compare to TM unit sales but that's a nice little stream of income year after year.... 

#25 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:47 PM

Why waste any time building a career mode for PC/console guys?  Why waste any time further enhancing ANYTHING to do with a control method other than a simulator setup (and even there - very specifically the TM hardware)?

I'm guessing here, but maybe Mike & Andrew retained the rights to developing the PG/PG2 PC users version on their own time/money (with access to some or all of the resources being used for PG/PG2 sim users versions).  :huh:

-MERACE

#26 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:13 PM

I'm guessing here, but maybe Mike & Andrew retained the rights to developing the PG/PG2 PC users version on their own time/money (with access to some or all of the resources being used for PG/PG2 sim users versions).  :huh:

-MERACE

If that's the case then we can expect JNPG2 sometime around early 2025.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#27 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:50 PM

If that's the case then we can expect JNPG2 sometime around early 2025.

As the saying goes...”good things come to those that wait”. 🙂

...and instead of “whistling while you wait” you can be playing TGC 2019 Featuring PGA TOUR. 😉

-MERACE
  • RobV likes this

#28 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:42 AM

It's not about career mode, one does JNPG2 for PC and console because most of the hard work has been done - becoming efficient with Unity, and CG, the physics tweaking, the teething problems integrating with steam, google analytics, weather,  configuring servers. Costly mistakes have been learnt from. Hundreds of courses exist, a very usable course editor exists. That's a substantial asset to work with. There's a customer database of existing users out there in the 10's of thousands, many will pay for something fresher or better. It's how EA Rory sold so many despite being very average. There's a constant supply of new gamers and Console is a huge new market. You don't make money on the first release, too much in R&D costs, you make it on the less intensive subsequent releases.

#29 Trip

Trip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

I'm very disappointed with this news because it means that skytrak users will probably not be able to use PG2. 

JNPG is currently the best software available for skytrak. I tried several other options before my recent renewal. I would consider a GC2 but given this news I doubt it will be useable with PG2 either - if they're cutting out skytrak why leave GC2? Skytrak is first to go because it's not sold by PP. 

I'd actually consider a GC quad - i tried one out yesterday - but there's no way I'm using FSX. That was an insane decision.

#30 SFR

SFR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

Remember that Skytrak had made their unit so you can't do anything with it without paying a yearly fee that could go up any time they want.  No other software will work without Skytrak getting a chunk of the pie.

On a GC2 the bluetooth info can be used for many other software options and no need to split up profits.  I may be wrong but I think the new Quad is in the same boat as skytrak where you may not be able to use it on other software options unless they open it up.

This may just make the old GC2 units more in demand as they are still one of the best options out there.

#31 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

GC2 also carries no obligation to give support with it for PG, either by Foresight or PP. That's not the case with SkyTrak. That will be a big cost for them given the teething problems people have with SkyTrak.

#32 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:32 PM

OGT simulator community provides a lot of support for GC2 and Skytrak.

#33 Trip

Trip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

I think the new Quad is in the same boat as skytrak where you may not be able to use it on other software options unless they open it up.

Sky golf  control the licensing on skytrak but have opened it up for several different sim options, including PG. The PG option has been removed by PP's new owners, not sky golf.

Foresight's GC Quad only works with Foresight's FSX software. FSX is not as good a simulator as PG.  (It also costs about 10 times as much.) Even if it were better than PG there's no way I would pay that kind of money for a hardware unit knowing I was at the mercy of one vendor for decent software. 

#34 grumpter

grumpter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:13 AM

$150k per year in gross sales is not much for a 1 man operation without much upkeep let alone any business with multiple employees. It would seem to me there is more value added to a company to make it a value added add-on rather than a source of profit. But what do I know? I get told to jump off of cliffs before a thread is locked and posts are deleted.

#35 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:57 PM

Enjoying E6 golf with the Tittle x and waiting for access to the 12 courses. Just don't know why PG cant make a deal for  users to use Tittle x and a yearly sim pass. At $250 - $300 a year. I think their revenue would quadruple from users who don't have the room or funds for a full blown sim. Been saying it from day one they need their own proprietary hardware. This was a kick starter campaign  about 1 1/2 years ago.

https://www.kickstar...ordable-golf-si

https://golfsimulato...-golf-simulator

#36 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:38 PM

Enjoying E6 golf with the Tittle x and waiting for access to the 12 courses. Just don't know why PG cant make a deal for  users to use Tittle x and a yearly sim pass. At $250 - $300 a year. I think their revenue would quadruple from users who don't have the room or funds for a full blown sim. Been saying it from day one they need their own proprietary hardware. This was a kick starter campaign  about 1 1/2 years ago.

https://www.kickstar...ordable-golf-si

https://golfsimulato...-golf-simulator

Good idea.   Anything to add to revenue is a good idea IMO.  Trugolf e6's is widely used in $50K-100k commercial simulators (Fullswing Golf, Trackman, etc..)  and in modest home simulators as well.   I would suggest you pm and/or use the contact page below and message Andrew about it.   Can't hurt...

#37 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

REMINDER:

Deadline to purchase Skytrak JNPG sim package is June 18th.

#38 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

Last day for new Skytrak users to buy into JNPG annual sim pass.

#39 Krep26

Krep26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:29 PM

FYI, For anyone that doesn't already have JNPG for SkyTrak, but want the option at some point, you only need to subscribe to the basic $99 JNPG Range option. Then you can upgrade or downgrade your subscription at any point after on your renewal date. I only say this because in my case I'm just about to order my SkyTrak, but wanted to lock in my ability to upgrade to the full JNPG subscription when I get my SkyTrak. Probably doesn't apply to many people, just wanted to share what I found out today directly from Andy with SkyTrak.

#40 BrianZ111

BrianZ111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

FYI, For anyone that doesn't already have JNPG for SkyTrak, but want the option at some point, you only need to subscribe to the basic $99 JNPG Range option. Then you can upgrade or downgrade your subscription at any point after on your renewal date. I only say this because in my case I'm just about to order my SkyTrak, but wanted to lock in my ability to upgrade to the full JNPG subscription when I get my SkyTrak. Probably doesn't apply to many people, just wanted to share what I found out today directly from Andy with SkyTrak.

I went to SkyTrak support chat and asked this exact question and they told me I would not be able to upgrade or change my subscription after the deadline.  I would be locked into whatever I had when renewing.  I don't know who I chatted with.  I expected that would be the case so I didn't save the chat.  So I bought the $250 subscription even though I'm probably not going to use it much over the summer months.  Hope for your case that the guy I got on chat was wrong.  Let me know how it goes.  If you're able to upgrade I'm going to contact them again and see if I can get downgraded for now and get $150 back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users