#21 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

I'm pretty close to having the "structure" of how I want this to work.

When I get to the point that what's left is just filling in all the databases (very tedious), I think I'll open this up to our community for help with the data mining.  It would greatly speed the process and get us to where we all want to be - a Career Mode.

At some point, I'll need help from someone that knows EXCEL macros on a MAC.

• Greensboronclion likes this

#22 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:58 PM

Really looking forward to it John and at this point I am basically playing recorded rounds at RTSM Amateur level and have lost all desire for tournaments as I got no chance to compete in them at this point. I might give tournaments a shot again in a week or so but just not into it right now. The career mode will get a lot of people playing again IMHO. Thanks for all your efforts.

#23 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:11 AM

I'm pretty close to having the "structure" of how I want this to work.

When I get to the point that what's left is just filling in all the databases (very tedious), I think I'll open this up to our community for help with the data mining.  It would greatly speed the process and get us to where we all want to be - a Career Mode.

At some point, I'll need help from someone that knows EXCEL macros on a MAC.

John, I'm not sure what your macros will be doing, but if they are copying and moving data around, you might not have too many issues.  If you're opening, saving, closing files, then there will definitely be some differences.  If you're running Active-X contols, etc., then you might have big problems.  :wacko: 

I don't have a MAC, so I probably won't be of much help.  If no one else steps up to code/test, this page might be of use:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/mac.htm

#24 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Armand.  I was hoping you'd find this topic of interest and give me some feedback (value you're opinion).

#25 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

extremely interesting :huh:

#26 ollybobbles

ollybobbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

Praying we get our hands on this prior to the Open. I have been playing Carrah Loch (the closest we have to Carnoustie) and wondered why it has dirt areas rather than bunkers - strange decision to say the least. 

Anyway, fingers crossed for access to this in its 'so far' state ... appreciation is as high as can be.

#27 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

Soon, Olly...very soon.

I'm just finishing putting the latest roster and weather data into the Open database file.  Ted's going to look it over for me, then we're a go.

#28 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

Lots of possibilities with this John and I can see a lot of recorded rounds for events being loaded into the Mega site for use with the Career.  I have switched from 3C TP to RTSM Amateur at PGLS in anticipation of the career mode as that is how I will play it to start and over time to Pro level.  I think your career mode could be a real game changer to playing this game.  Just my 2 cents.

#29 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

Will this be for dummies?  hope so  :P

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#30 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

Its not quite a Career Mode yet, Greens.

What I'm about to upload shortly is the framework for a career simulation based on re-playing any of the 4 Majors (Grand Slam Golf?) from 1960 to the present.  Its simple in that very little information has to be saved and archived ( finish order and money won).  The save system should be easy to implement.  At present, all 4 databases (Majors) are complete except for all of the weather data.  The new feature (reason for update) is a way to move data from any database into the Main Module.  Additionally, all of the pairings and tee time rules ( group of 3 off 2 tees, group of 3 off 1 tee, and group of 2 off 1 tee) now work correctly, along with the variety of different cut rules.

Also, I don't know if I'm stating the obvious, but the way I constructed this its meant to be played 9 holes at a time.  It allows for a start off the 10th tee, but more importantly it allows for course condition changes between your front 9 and back 9.  Its the whole point of the detailed weather data.  When hole-by-hole scoring is up and running, I think I'll run this spreadsheet from my second monitor or a second laptop.

Whats not done yet?  A Dynamic scoreboard that links everyone's score to their tee time.  Right now its Static and can be played two ways.  Don't look at it before you go play, then come in and post a score - its like you're in the first group on the course.  Second way is to look at it before you go play, like you're  the last group of the day.  Hole-by-hole input (your scores) isn't immersive in either instance.  A Dynamic scoreboard brings hole-by-hole scoring back into play.  Every time you enter a score for the hole you're on, the scoreboard would update and re-shuffle positions based on who's out on the course, and what hole they're on.

Also not done yet is the Predictive Scoring method (as opposed to the current Historical method).  This allows for play in present and future tournaments were no results exist yet (like the upcoming OPEN).  Getting this working properly is a per-requisite for any Career mode, like a FedEx Cup career.  I put some scores and finish order data into the 2018 OPEN database based on my Predictive model, just as an early test.

I've also started putting together the database for a FedEx Cup career mode, but its third on the list of things to do.  Lots of things left to do.

#31 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

DoGgs - if you make RL&SA I'll hold your hand and personally walk you through each step.

• DoGgs likes this

#32 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:45 AM

While we're waiting for Ted to give the files a once over I thought I'd share some results from the Scoring Analysis part of the Predictive Model.

When I plotted the average score of the entire field, for each US Open and (British) Open, over a 60 year span it looks like a "shot-gun" plot - no pattern at all.  Then I plotted it as a running 11-year average and I started to see the same pattern in the data for all 4 Majors.  Below is the plot.

[attachment=1474:Scoring Analysis.gif]

I think the scoring average decline in both plots is due to equipment advances (club and ball), and the USGA/RA attempt to level these with rule and equipment spec changes.  The oscillations might be due to courses rotated back every 8 to 10 years.  The peaks in the US Open correspond to the Shinnicock year (2004, 1995, 1986).

#33 ollybobbles

ollybobbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:54 AM

The graph showing the scoring averages is incredible in similarity between the two Opens. The advancement in equipment, the general fitness (both physical and mental) of players and, as you say, governing body tweaks, have all led to a marked reduction in average scoring. Truly fascinating.

#34 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:14 AM

The Masters and PGA show the same trend, just not as pronounced.  The full set of curves are the new Tabs at the end of each Majors database.

#35 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:46 AM

OK folks, new updated files are up at MEGA.  Just grab the 7zip file - it has everything you need including the correct sub-folder for Careers.

I've populated the 2018 Open with the correct roster, latest weather forecast, and changed it to a 1 tee start.  There are also scores (how can that be - the tournament hasn't been played yet?).  I used a test version of my Predictive model, and ran 10 simulated Opens to populate it with my predictions (top 15 anyway).  If you run it as 0% Random (Historical) it will give you the exact finish order that I listed them in.  Best to play at 1% to 5% Random.

Ted's updating the first page with the new instruction.  I'm hoping the new process is much easier to follow.

John

LOGIN

Enter this email...

jnpgrecordings@gmail.com

and this password...

driveforshow

PLEASE LOGOUT

• LeazesNDR and Greensboronclion like this

#36 ollybobbles

ollybobbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:30 AM

Haven’t looked yet but I am about to.

Just wanted to thank you for your considerable time, effort and knowledge.
I am excited to embrace this way of playing and I’m sure it will give hundreds of hours of enjoyment for many of us.

Thank you very much.
  • LeazesNDR likes this

#37 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

DoGgs - if you make RL&SA I'll hold your hand and personally walk you through each step.

Maybe in PG2 if i get access to a map, i do enjoy making the links courses, is this career going to be easy to work with? some us ( me ) may need a tutorial..... ;)

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#38 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

Here's a quickie tutorial if you couldn't get off the ground.

1.     Go to Recordings Quick Login
  2.     Go to PG Career Mode folder

3.     Download PG Career Mode.7z 
          Extract all files. This will create folders

or
 3a.     Download Career Databases Folder zip
 3b.     Download Main Module .xlsm
           Unzip and put both files in a PG Career folder         

4.       Open Main Module
  5.       Click Enable Editing on top bar
  6.       Click Enable Content
  7.       Go through STEP 0 and STEP 1
  8.        If you want to play The Open skip STEP 2
            (Your tournament is already open)
  9.        STEP 3 Hit NEXT
10.       Read through the text. There are clear instructions to set up your tournament and weather.
11.       Hit Round 1 at the bottom of the weather page
12.       Play your rounds and enter the scores in the scorecard at the top.

Have a look around and ask questions here if you're stuck.

I'll do a graphic tutorial soon with updated instructions.

• jmk59 and DoGgs like this

#39 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

Bugs and/or fixes and Questions/Answers (after awhile, I'll move this to the top of the thread).

1.Your personal data (difficulty level, swing method, ball, etc) wasn't transferring to subsequent Conditions pages. Now it does.  Zip file updated, and Main Module updated.  Quick-fix - go get only a new Main Module file. TY Olly.

2. Not really a bug, just an observation.  Downloading the Majors databases as a folder takes a long, long time (all the extra content under the Majors sub-folder that the zip7 doesn't have).  Use the 7zip, all in one, folder or download the individual majors (US Open, Open, Masters, PGA) as a single file.  If you need the 7zip software, its in the PG Career Mode folder, at the top.  TY Greens.

#40 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

I cant download the career databases as it stops at 99% or less all three times.  Figured I would pass that on before I try again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users