#22 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:55 AM

Now that I understand whats happening here (I pretty much had an idea...brilliant stuff), it seems that everything needs to be covered with
a spline. Great for real life courses I think, but it seems that terrain painting is taken out of the equation.

What I like is to use splines for the fairways greens teeboxes and fringe. But after that, the rough
is left open for terrain painting which I love to do. I guess a small amount of rough spline over to get those cool mow lines,...then morph to terrain painting beyond

Rob

#23 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:05 AM

You can still leave some areas to paint. I've done that for the water banks. But, in general, you are outlining the entire course. It actually amounts to a much quicker process. I feel I can terrain paint with more variety and speed in Photoshop. But, you'll lose the finer detail. 

Terrain overlay looks better down the line/hole views and as the ball flies. Some up close views may not appear as detailed as the traditional CF layers.

Outer green spline encompasses several holes and amounts to my "Rough" layer (limit on size of that is Unity balking at over 64,000 tris so some trial and error on what you can do but eventually you kind of sense if you've gone too big. That's why you also add in random circles filling dead space. That's not seen if it's the same layer as the outer spline. )

O3Kfs7t.jpg

#24 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:14 AM

ha,...you just missed my edited post above...re-read 9:55 pm post

:)

good stuff

#25 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:23 AM

Cool. Well, it's a good tip for others because it wasn't exactly stated in the videos on that.

Yes, a hybrid technique would work. You'll just have some color tweaking to get it right.

But, there's no reason you can't terrain paint in Photoshop. After Scioto, I think it would be beneficial to try and create a fantasy course by painting the whole thing in Photoshop. Could use desert satellite overheads or canyon like areas as color palettes to stamp around, etc...

#26 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:21 AM

Is that a rough spline around your plot? how do you get away with that and not have a tri warning?

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#27 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:25 AM

If not, in my ideal world, I would collaborate on Photoshop overlays and make high quality assets. I have no great interest in creating splines, tweaking LIDAR and planting trees.

A team approach to some of the more "well known" courses might be really cool.

I like this idea a lot.  

20 years PS vs me scratching the surface with GIMP...   I might be able to do half of what I see it the tutorials but it will take me forever. 

My main interest lies in the playability of the course, getting the slopes, hollows, bumps, bunkers and greens right. Playing the course hundreds of times is part of the deal. Planting trees and grasses is not my favorite and 3D stuff is okay, but  spending my days with GIMP is not my idea of fun.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#28 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:44 AM

Is that a rough spline around your plot? how do you get away with that and not have a tri warning?

Keep adding circles of rough or deep rough splines inside your big one until the virtices error disappears. Like these pictures.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Because they are the same mesh its blends and looks like one big mesh in game.

• DPRoberts likes this

#29 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

Keep adding circles of rough or deep rough splines inside your big one until the virtices error disappears. Like these pictures.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Because they are the same mesh its blends and looks like one big mesh in game.

And remember that the grid of the spline can be much less accurate than in bunkers or fairways.

#30 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:17 AM

If you follow some of the outer lines, at most one spline outlines about 3 holes. You need to add extra splines like Stingreye shows.

#31 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:40 PM

fU4DmcT.jpg

unity opened...I cant believe it..here are mow lines painted on the terrain in unity.  Higher resolution, good for fantasy courses.

plenty of options whether using the overlay technique or not

Rob

• RobC and DoGgs like this

#32 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:19 PM

Now you’re just showing off! Hehe

Looks great Matt. Awesome work and thanks for the videos.

He is and I approve - LOL

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#33 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:42 PM

If not, in my ideal world, I would collaborate on Photoshop overlays and make high quality assets. I have no great interest in creating splines, tweaking LIDAR and planting trees.

A team approach to some of the more "well known" courses might be really cool.

I like the idea of a "designers collective".... we all seem to have things we do best, things other people do better than us, as well as parts of the process we enjoy more than others. It might be fun to see what can be done if all of us pool our strongest assets together into the sum of the parts to produce something pretty f-cking amazing.

I'd certainly be willing to participate.

It'll be like a band. I'll be the drummer :)

• DPRoberts likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#34 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

The hard part is how to share the files and work collectively. I think there are so many parts to making a course great that it either takes a really long time to do well or you end up having to make compromises.

If my only focus is Photoshop Overlay or 3D assets and I widdle away at that for a month or two, the results are going to be better than if I'm trying to churn those things out in one or two nightly cram sessions or with additional Unity/CF distractions.

Even the 3D assets stuff can be shared. Larrykuh and Justin9926 are great at Blender. I've recently used some of Larry's models and re-textured them with Substance Painter.

Ball washer with rusted steel below and painted over
SVCHic5.jpg

Wooden tee marker with paint wear
x0aXZ2s.jpg

Jobs
1. Course Splines
2. Photoshop Overlay
3. Overlay Textures
4. Terrain Contours (possible to subdivide as general, greens and bunkering)
5. Tees/Shot Points/Pins
6. Vegetation
7. 3D assets (could be a team)
8. Miscellaneous - bulkheads, water splines

Realistically, it is probably about a 3 man team. Beyond that, probably too many cooks in the kitchen. Anyway, it's just a thought.

I have a terrible voice and am not tall enough to look cool on the bass. I prefer to hang in the background anyhow.

I'll play rhythm guitar.

#35 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:59 PM

Matt, what about lead guitar :)

That ball washer looks really nice with that logo.It almost looks like a photo of an actual ball washer.

• DPRoberts likes this

#36 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:00 PM

It's been done before with great success,

WPsP95E.jpg

So the team is set, Matt, Matt, and Justin/Larry, can't wait for the release of_____ _____ _____ 2019

I have no specialty, but play an awesome Kazoo!

• DPRoberts likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#37 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

Matt, what about lead guitar :)

That ball washer looks really nice with that logo.It almost looks like a photo of an actual ball washer.

I would happily lead a Blender/3D assets team. Substance Painter really jives with my brain. It's a bit like Photoshop on steroids for texturing. With a good model and UV layout, texturing as above is under 5 minutes with a good plan. It's all best as 1 texture sheet so I did have to redo the UVs from your excellent model.

Coolest thing is a bunch of built in edge effects and wear effects that are constructed based off of the model normals.

#38 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:13 PM

It's been done before with great success,
WPsP95E.jpg

So the team is set, Matt, Matt, and Justin/Larry, can't wait for the release of_____ _____ _____ 2019
I have no specialty, but play an awesome Kazoo!

There's plenty of room on the Blender team for you Neal. We need someone to head up the animations department.

#39 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:13 PM

I'll be stood in the queue for tickets to the first gig, lol.

#40 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:15 PM

Finally, Sharks with laser beams!!

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users