56 replies to this topic

#41 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:43 PM

Good grief!  The ball washer and tee marker look fantastic.  I am still trying to figure out Unity and I am average or maybe a tad above average in Photoshop (newb at blender).  The net result is that you guys are making me feel like I can't figure out which mouse button to click!  Ima figure it out though!

Its damn nifty stuff, if you ask me.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#42 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:19 AM

Is that a rough spline around your plot? how do you get away with that and not have a tri warning?

We always surround the entire plot in a very lo res spline then circle individual holes in hi res mesh.

#43 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:27 AM

The hard part is how to share the files and work collectively. I think there are so many parts to making a course great that it either takes a really long time to do well or you end up having to make compromises.

If my only focus is Photoshop Overlay or 3D assets and I widdle away at that for a month or two, the results are going to be better than if I'm trying to churn those things out in one or two nightly cram sessions or with additional Unity/CF distractions.

Even the 3D assets stuff can be shared. Larrykuh and Justin9926 are great at Blender. I've recently used some of Larry's models and re-textured them with Substance Painter.

Ball washer with rusted steel below and painted over
SVCHic5.jpg

Wooden tee marker with paint wear
x0aXZ2s.jpg

Jobs
1. Course Splines
2. Photoshop Overlay
3. Overlay Textures
4. Terrain Contours (possible to subdivide as general, greens and bunkering)
5. Tees/Shot Points/Pins
6. Vegetation
7. 3D assets (could be a team)
8. Miscellaneous - bulkheads, water splines

Realistically, it is probably about a 3 man team. Beyond that, probably too many cooks in the kitchen. Anyway, it's just a thought.

I have a terrible voice and am not tall enough to look cool on the bass. I prefer to hang in the background anyhow.

I'll play rhythm guitar.

Happy to assist with some textures.

Classic Renditions started because the level of detail I wanted could not be achieved on my own. We always work off a single OneDrive account so we don’t need to be in the same location.
We would usually take turns creating the overlay as it was the most laborious task.

#44 prodgers

prodgers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

I seem to be having some trouble getting this to work. No matter how dark or light I make the overlays they just cover up the background and won't let the course image show though. I have the first box blank and set to 0 and no normals selected. Am I missing something? Also, I don't have photoshop but use gimp instead. It seems straight forward but for some reason it's not working.

Edit: So, after spending all afternoon trying to get this to work to no avail, I come back this evening and Voila all is well. Don't know why it works now... Don't know why it didn't then.... Don't really care, I'm saving that sucker. The only issue now is removing textures that I had painted on the overlay before I tried it in the first place. Any ideas on an easy fix for that would be greatly appreciated. lol

#45 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:20 PM

I just started my first course with the Manila height map and overlay recently provided in the "heightmap" thread in the general discussion. Thanks very much BTW for this! Now I was so happy to finally find this topic here and I just want to suggest to pin it in the tutorials section.
Great and valuable tutorials!
Thanks DP!

#46 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

I’d like to second that. I’m currently doing my second course and first attempt at overlay method. I’d like to thank all the Wizards for their tutorials, tips, shared objects, advice etc etc. It’s a great community to be part of, thank you.

#47 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:36 PM

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#48 Dace

Dace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:44 AM

Thank you brother for all the cool videos and info.

#49 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:04 PM

Welp better late than never. I have a lot to learn but I'm delving in.

I need to learn the Stamp/Clone tool in Gimp, which seems pretty simple accept for having it reimport into Unity.

A couple of pics to get started. Just thought I would share part of my travels.

This course in called Inverness of Toledo Ohio. I have 16 holes laid out and a million miles to go but that's whats fun about it.

Question: This is at 8197 True Color, when the course is done, do I leave it at that or do I do what we usually do and change the res. down to 2048 bilinear compressed?

Oh and Matt you said and I've been experimenting with an rough over the entire course, I was a little shy so I just did it around a couple of holes with the grid fill changed to 6 and as you said, no issues so far. I will do the entire course with one rough spline but can I just leave it like that for my rough? On this course, I just have a semi-rough and a rough so is it ok to leave the outer rough with the grid fill change, for the final? I don't see the need to run a rough spline around each individual hole if I don't have too?

What is going on is I started this course a while back and made individual roughs around each hole but I would love it if I could eliminate all of those and leave the 1 rough with the grid fill change? Is that possible to do?

Thanks for any "more" help. lol

dWrH68k.png

RQsslLm.png

• jspirate likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#50 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:00 AM

Looking good Axe.

Your overlay image file that you are using should be 8192x8192. Work with it throughout tweaking stages in True Color. Before final stages and releasing for beta, change it to 8192x8192 compressed.

As far as rough, I would still recommend surrounding each hole with rough splines as you would in the past. Those are the easy ones anyhow?

Reason for this, the stock CF rough setting is higher detail and therefore follows the underlying terrain more closely. 30 yards offline, you'll get into your outer low resolution spline and it doesn't matter because your in trees or off a bit.

I just think it's still nice to maintain contours closer to the fairways.

In the end, I'm just using a regular rough and a low grid fill rough - both with same layers textures and settings, except for the grid fill. Slewin was even recommending 3 types.

#51 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:21 AM

Thank you Matt, just what I wanted to know. You are wise!

L

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#52 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

Ok, this is a stream bed and a rough spline is covering the entire course.Pic 1...

I wanted to carve it out some more and smooth a little but when I "hide" the spline Pic 2 it looks fine. Why isn't the rough spline, hugging the underlaying terrain?

Any help would be appreciated.

NsSvCCr.jpg

This is how I sculpted the stream bed but when the rough spline is dropped it's all screwed up. As in Pic 1

I also noticed when I dropped the rough spline that covers the entire course, I get green mesh popping up all over deplace. Don't know why?

KHXxpFi.png

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#53 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:53 PM

Just don't know why I can't smooth the terrain, I mean, I can, when I hide this spline but as you see from earlier pics, it doesn't take when I drop the outer rough spline.

7kCqMT0.png

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#54 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

I think I'll try putting a rough that doesn't have the grid fill changed. Maybe that will have a better result.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#55 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

Eureka! Now just add water.

yWbQEmQ.png

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#56 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:27 PM

Seems like you're getting the hang of it Larry. You have to "see" that the 6m grid fill will travel like 6m point to point. That means a flat plane of 6m. That's why it won't follow contours for finer details.

I'm using a bunker type setting for my creek on Scioto. Risk there is too many vertices. But, as you see, the grid fill just determines how that mesh gets filled and the smaller number means more Tris and will follow terrain more closely.

#57 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:31 PM

Thank you Matt. Appreciate the help.

Done with designing.