389 replies to this topic

#241 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:27 AM

Very interesting. Would be outstanding for sand belt/waste bunker type courses. Does the shader based mesh change impact the physics at all?

I would be interested in substituting the PP transition shader in a bunker with this. Essentially, induce irregularity to the bunker edge.

I don't know for sure if the physics are affected. At least it seems not. I was also hoping the player would stand on the displaced mesh but it seems he doesn't. I renamed the meshes/parts to "Spline xxx" and assigned a mesh collider (earth). Did i miss something? Maybe it was just the physics of the underlying PP layer.

But if the displacement is subtle it somehow looks as if the shoes and ball are actually a bit "sunken" into the sand. I was able to play the ball normaly on a few shots i made.

I think you can do funny things with it on bunkers too. Best would be if we also could really blend the textures.

#242 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:34 AM

Welcome to the jungle...

fHSIst1.jpg

O8NNRkz.jpg

iBlrsA9.jpg

9gvlINh.jpg

• Justin9926, IanK, Dropzone73 and 1 other like this

#243 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:34 AM

What terrain tool are you there Birdie?
This may work with my Pinehurst experiments...

#244 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

In Unity I I used the standard terrain tool. I have Terrain Former but didn't use it in this area. What you see here is displacement/tessellation by shader on a copy/obj of a standard PP spline mesh slightly adjusted in Blender. Just lowered the boundary ring of vertices a bit for example. Still is the problem the more you displace the more the player sinks through the displacement. It's not "solid" atm. I saw a cgcookie video about how to convert a shader's displacement to mesh but I'm afraid that's a little too much...

#245 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:49 PM

https://youtu.be/McALCOr39rY

#246 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

WOW!!!....Thats way over my head...Too much for me I'm afraid

Looks good tho

#247 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 02:34 AM

Alright, golfer can now stand on these roots and doesn't sink through the mesh anymore. Offering some funny shots...

WfbgDg7.jpg

x6jB3Mu.jpg

jw2V4tR.jpg

Gqtaqj5.jpg

• LeazesNDR, Keith, balaceanca81 and 7 others like this

#248 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

Impressive stuff Birdie!

#249 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:39 PM

Some time ago I said I have the feeling we just scratched the surface in terms of visuals.
For all the other parts... Your behind the wheel Mike... 🙏😋
  • Volker and Stingreye like this

#250 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:05 AM

Some time ago I said I have the feeling we just scratched the surface in terms of visuals.
For all the other parts... Your behind the wheel Mike...

Yes, using a game engine editor such as Unity or U4 was the best choice to enable talented people such as yourself to experiment and push the boundaries of the visuals. It's a sandbox and a lot of fun to play around with. 

#251 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

Yes, the older this sim the more I feel it's a great sandbox. Especially compared to other golf sims around. That it's possible to really bring materials to life with displacement and use these here is a huge thing. I was dreaming of this... And speaking of "other parts" (missing), there's really not much anymore I'm missing personally as I'm mainly a single player... Wife or son would simply kill all mp games I try to play in daytime... So I'm mainly hoping this sim simply continues to exist. Maybe the ability to add some more post processing is what I really would like to see implemented.
But still a superb combo, no doubt!

#252 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

More like a litter box that never get's changed.

Sure, we can try fancy sprays, but it will still have the smell.

TRY THE NEW AND IMPROVED TRACKMAN LITTER BOX ONLY $10,000

HACKER HARRY NOT INCLUDED.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#253 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:06 PM

Wow, those pics are incredible!

#254 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:18 PM

And speaking of "other parts" (missing), there's really not much anymore I'm missing personally as I'm mainly a single player... 

The part I’m still bummed about is the avatar.  It’s so limited and so bad...

I really wish the customization of that and more gear/equipment had ever been fleshed out.  It’s amazingly dull to have everyone in a round looking exactly the same, save for some incredibly barebones options..

#255 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:48 PM

The part I’m still bummed about is the avatar.  It’s so limited and so bad...

I really wish the customization of that and more gear/equipment had ever been fleshed out.  It’s amazingly dull to have everyone in a round looking exactly the same, save for some incredibly barebones options..

Unfortunately the course designs have severely eclipsed the interface of this Sim. If you can actually refer to it as an interface. There have been very few advancement since PG was introduced years ago.Sad but true. I have very little hope any major improvement  will ever be realized by any of the still faithful supporters of this undertaking that at one time appeared to show tremendous promise.

#256 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:01 PM

More like a litter box that never get's changed.

Sure, we can try fancy sprays, but it will still have the smell.

TRY THE NEW AND IMPROVED TRACKMAN LITTER BOX ONLY $10,000

HACKER HARRY NOT INCLUDED.

A little beneath you I think Neal  :(

#257 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:31 PM

Just some more JNPG1 spray...

#258 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:08 AM

There are glaring problems that come to light when introducing computer players into numerous courses in both match as well as stroke play. I am not sure if the problems are within PG itself or are caused by the courses designed. I will mention that this even occurs in the pay to play courses. An example of this nonsense was again on display today when me and a computer player were playing against two other computer players in a matchplay contest. The course was Matt Rose's Resevoir  on the 5th hole. Both opponents hit their approach into the water hazard that guards the green. The game correctly noted that both players were in the hazard. Instead of having to take a drop with penalty, both players were standing in water up to their knees and hit the ball close to the pin with no penalty assessed. How about this; I am unable to designate whether a player is either right or left handed. This is true with either real or computer players. Left handed is not possible. Maybe the basic physics of this Sim need attention, before we worry the eye candy extras. Transferring the game from WiN7 to WIN10 did not solve any of these issues.

#259 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:32 AM

A little beneath you I think Neal  :(

It is, but needed to vent my frustration with the abandonment

of the Simulator Guys, CF improvements, and PG1 .

• LeazesNDR, Buck, IanK and 1 other like this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#260 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:38 PM

Just want to add some info regarding the tessellation shader i mentioned. I now could manage to get all variants in the included v5legacy.zip to work. You just have to replace all "unity_ObjectToWorld" entries in the distance shader and in the cginc with "_Object2World".

Now the distance based tessellation also works for example.

• DPRoberts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users