389 replies to this topic

#341 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:44 PM

Birdie, I'm wondering if you have fixed any of the issues reported after you released the first preview version. For example, adding collision properties to trees and drops when balls are hit in to hazards. If I remember correctly there were a couple of tee boxes that had trees directly in front.
I am waiting for these fixes before playing your course again. Thanks.

I already fixed some stuff in the meantime. I know it often takes a bit longer when in between I try other things too. But it's also great fun and also my personal interest to get a little more familiar with other tools by doing so.

#342 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:54 PM

Birdie, great work. I love your persistence.

I have no clue about how you've accomplished that. I am curious, though, did you ever try and import the .blend file?

Simply importing the blend file doesn't work with this kind of stuff. At least not in Unity 5.2.3f. For newer versions there exists an Alembic importer and the stuff I mentioned and things should be more straightforward there. And we simply have the problem with the scripts not working here. Else it also would be quite simple in our version too.

#343 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:25 PM

To fill the empty space a bit...

Still having fun with this one. But mainly testing this and that. Reshade raytracing is on in some of these screens where the fps are a bit lower. But no problem, the RTX3080 will be released before this course is finished...

DoEoeCk.jpg

5wOJhak.jpg

hMlbBzS.jpg

vQUIwqT.jpg

s3cj97f.jpg

fxO2twj.jpg

JVbjbh2.jpg

TdPXg6U.jpg

57oZoiL.jpg

• JoeF, xooze, bortimus and 5 others like this

#344 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:41 PM

Lovely as ever!

I'm very happy you released the work in progress version when you did.  We enjoy it to this day.

If you ever see fit to push another minor update as progress goes along, please absolutely do so!

• Birdie likes this

#345 xooze

xooze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:24 PM

It looks so real, just beautiful.

• Birdie likes this

#346 Niblick47

Niblick47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:02 PM

Any news on progress on this beauty?

• Buck likes this

#347 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

I'm still working on the course nearly everyday or night and still really enjoy it. I just wanted to show some really cool height blending and splatmapping shaders these days. They are not labeled for our Unity version but with some tiny edits they do work and I think they spit out exciting results. Hopefully tonight I can share some bits.
  • Mike Jones, Ian, fungolfer and 4 others like this

#348 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:59 AM

Preview build 2 should be ready soon... 

• Ian, xooze, BSilvernail and 3 others like this

#349 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:01 AM

Preview build 2 should be ready soon...

Can’t wait to see the progress!

#350 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:28 AM

YES!!!

Awesome

#351 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 02:14 AM

Some Trunk 'n Golf from the upcoming preview...

r6MDkDd.jpg

• JoeF, xooze, sideshowbob and 2 others like this

#352 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 20 December 2020 - 08:43 PM

I'm wondering if you have collision properties and drops in the next preview.  

RTSM - Pro

#353 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 11:41 PM

No drop zones and still not everything colliding as I still change vegetation. Generally a lot of areas didn't get nearly no attention since the first preview. I made a lot of testing and practicing in textures, materials and retouching stuff in Blender. So this is just a bit of a showcase if one likes to check it out. I never stated it as a beta or even alpha so don't expect things to behave like such. Let's call it a preview of some single features. If you want a full featured course better don't check it out.

#354 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:39 AM

Faking finals on an unfinished course with Reshade and raytracing applied to kill fps.

rLAMAWW.jpg

AqOoThN.jpg

iJMnnmk.jpg

nPT1GaI.jpg

GsC3a4i.jpg

0BSBGKn.jpg

• BSilvernail and sideshowbob like this

#355 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:54 AM

Birdie, gorgeous images. That last one is surely a photo of the diorama you've been building.

Question about the third image down with Harry in the bunker. Do you think it's not possible with the lighting/shadowing to get the same shadow effect on your bunker edge? Harry casts a long shadow to the right. Surely, the bunker mesh should do similar. It's something I've wondered for a while but not spent too much time trying to solve.

#356 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:11 PM

I will have a look for the shadows when on my PC next time. I think I had them casting from the edges farer in the past but I'm not sure if it was only when the directional light was at a very low angle. You're definitely right, it looks a bit wrong.

#357 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:22 AM

By lowering the directional light's angle from 36 to maybe 18 degrees you definitely get a stronger shadow casting from the bunker edges in this spot. But at the same time it makes other parts on the course maybe look a little wrong from the another side. It probably would require some adjustments again.

I think we are also used to make the edges or falloffs very soft to prevent texture stretching. When i made some tests with follow active quads unwrapping on the bunker edges i could produce much steeper bunker edges without stretching. With a top view unwrap this is for sure not ideal. So the shadow definition also depends a bit on the geometry. Some of my palm trunks are now part of the underlying ground mesh and they cast correct shadows. That's a bit of an example that it depends a bit on the angle or height of the geometry.

lxhcQeN.jpg

• Crusher likes this

#358 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:01 AM

That’s amazing! Pushing the limits of PG!

#359 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:13 AM

Amazing detail! Nice job!

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

xqc8g0-2.png

πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                                                       πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#360 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:56 PM

Thanks! And sure when posting screens i try to post not the worst spots of the course. But the longer it takes the easier to find nice spots. Went back to school now, watching MJ and DPRoberts videos about tee markers and hazard/dropzones. I focus on this and hope to have it done in a few nights. I have also nearly seamless transitions from custom materials to the last residents of CF meshes (the greens) now so this should also look less gappy in the next build.

So far, Merry Christmas and stay healthy everyone!

• balaceanca81 and SReesor like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users