#21 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:08 AM

What is it that the API is doing to pick specific pins on a hole-by-hole basis (pin index #), and why can't specific tees be picked in the same manner?

Why couldn't we, as single players, make our own API to do this for a non-PGLS get together such as Joe's case.  What language is the API written in?

#22 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:43 AM

All I gotta say is try designing a course and not being able to test a specific pin, unless you get lucky or as in Practice Mode, you can "Show All Pins" but 6 pins and I can only putt into 1 cup and I can't choose that cup. It's an  unnecessary amount of extra time and work. 

I would like to choose the "show all pins" selection and be able to putt into 6 cups. You think I want to play around for hours sometimes trying to get the pin I want, that has a cup to putt into? That's just 1 green.  Hell no I don't.

I mean insert "WE"  because this effects Every designer in one way or another.

But this IS the best designer I've ever worked with, so most are willing to do what we need to do, to have fun building.

• jmk59 likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#23 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:15 PM

It will require a bit of extra work and don't know if it's really a solution bit you could build the course three times, 1st time with all six pins, 2nd time with the first set of 3 and the 3rd time with the second set of 3.

You'll need to save the decription file under a new name between the builds.  You can then untick the pins you don't want in the build in DEBUG mode before you build.

So if all the players want to play the same easy pin they just need to select the same descripion file with only the  3 pins.

Sounds like too much work for my liking. Maybe somebody can do a little external editor that can take certain pins or tees out of the description file before you launch the game.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#24 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

Sounds like too much work for my liking. Maybe somebody can do a little external editor that can take certain pins or tees out of the description file before you launch the game.

Wow, if that works, that would be the way to do it. Any user would be free to change that however they please. It wouldn't then require anything on the designer end.

#25 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

I don't think just changing the description file will work. Not sure but it would be cool if it is possible. Will have to test.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#26 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

If someone could create a mod that allows this, they would immediately become a hero in the community 😆

#27 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:59 PM

I'm all for anything really and a MOD or API thingy would be great for casual rounds as well but yes it does seem like a lot of work just for my group or 6 guys. Again I will state we don't want to play tourneys (OGT or PGLS), we just have our casual rounds we have been playing for YEARS every friday night. It just kind of sucks that if we play in groups of two or heck maybe even groups of three we might not get the same pins and if your not playing a casual round and it's more like a Major you want everything fair for everybody. 

I am sorry I accused another group or being elitist but everyone knows I can be a bit of an a hole once in awhile. I just want to have fun but also be the same for everybody. The amount of learning though I am getting from watching DPRoberts videos and some others in invaluable so thank you all. 

• axe360 and Stingreye like this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#28 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

I don't think just changing the description file will work. Not sure but it would be cool if it is possible. Will have to test.

The Hole Viewer spreadsheet I made could be tweaked to re-assemble the description file in this manner.  But... I think the tee, waypoint, and pin data is hardwired into the Unity file.  I was re-ordering some of the pin indexes in the description file, but it didn't change anything.  I'll double check this again.

#29 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:17 PM

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#30 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:02 PM

Deleting pins in the description file didn't work as expected.  All pins were still randomly available to be selected.

I think the description file is only used for the GUI overlay yardages, and the scorecard yardages.  The pin info. must be hardwired into the course.unity file.

So how does the OGT and PGLS API interface with PG1 to select pins?

#31 Mwh65

Mwh65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:13 PM

PGLS and there create a game will not work because you also cannot select the pin besides easy, medium or championship plus I think this is only for ladder matches and I don't do that.

JOE,

With regard to selecting pins in createAgame at PGLS ...

https://pgls.golflad...createagame.php

I have now made changes to the script which means you can now select pin numbers, which has replaced the Easy, Medium and Difficult pin selection . Although you still need to select a ladder type you can select "Friendly" instead of "Ladder" which is what you are looking for.

• Joe Habiger and DPRoberts like this

PGLS - Free for all players of Perfect Golf

http://pgls.golfladd.../pgls_intro.php

#32 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

Mark,

When you select a Pin number, does every hole get assigned that Pin number?

For my Hole Viewer spreadsheet, I was going to create the interface to select a specific Pin and Tee for each hole (like as Thur-Fri Masters setup) for my own single player tournaments.  If PGLS expanded the CreateAGame to include these features, we could do this through PGLS.

John

I should have looked at the PGLS site first - you already have the select a Pin for each hole.  Thank you very much!

#33 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

Thank you, i'll have to try this and maybe it will work for our purposes.

EDIT, works great buy why do I get 3 courses when I only want to play one..lol, might be a ladder thing I don't know but that will work thanks.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#34 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:47 PM

Marks CreateAGame setup page (linked above) looks to be what we need for very specific single player (or groups) tournaments.  I'll try to set-up last weeks Masters pins and weather for Thur-Sun, and post.  This is something Ted Ball and I tried to do last year using the Recorded Rounds method - it was just OK as far as immersion.

#35 Mwh65

Mwh65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:43 PM

EDIT, works great buy why do I get 3 courses when I only want to play one..lol, might be a ladder thing I don't know but that will work thanks.

If you mean in createAgame itself, you will likely have other games you have setup. Only one though can be active, which will be the one that shows in PG.

#36 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:35 PM

So in theory, I could set up all 4 days of the Masters and have them ready to go, but only activate the day I want to play?

Using the Hole Viewer spreadsheet is making this very quick and easy - I'm already half done setting up all four days at both Georgia Pines and AGOL_2019.  I'll post a power point shortly.

Decided to only set up 4 days at Georgia Pines.  Below is the link to my power point set up data.

https://mega.nz/#!j9Yz0AyY!uXf7mGQGrpVEZ0WD1MSaK1hEu8iqMWLSP3BoYp5k6-c

Edit: after I set this up at PGLS and activated the tournament, it shows up in my Public Tournaments.  In order for it to Start, I need 1 other playing partner (AI or real person - does it think this is Match Play?).  If you use an AI partner, gimmes needs to be set at 2 ft.

Also when setting up multi-day tournaments, it would be helpful if we could name the tournament, such as 2019_Masters_Thur or 2019_Masters_Sun.

#37 Mwh65

Mwh65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:23 AM

Edit: after I set this up at PGLS and activated the tournament, it shows up in my Public Tournaments.  In order for it to Start, I need 1 other playing partner (AI or real person - does it think this is Match Play?).  If you use an AI partner, gimmes needs to be set at 2 ft.

You have setup 4 rounds of PGLS 18, which means the minimum number of players is 2. I could add a "Single Play" option which would allow any number of players.

BTW, one of the above rounds isn't set as a "Friendly" :-)

• highfade and Justin9926 like this

#38 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

I know - the edit feature (to the right) allowed me to change that to Friendly, but it doesn't save my changes.

Edit:  with all of Marks updates, this is a great APP to play single player tournaments where you want to set exact conditions and pin for small groups of friends, or if the Career Mod ever gets finished.  Thank You Mark!

#39 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

You have setup 4 rounds of PGLS 18, which means the minimum number of players is 2. I could add a "Single Play" option which would allow any number of players.

I would love a single play option to test play a course with specific tees, pins and prevailing wind settings 

• Justin9926 likes this

#40 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:35 PM

I would love a single play option to test play a course with specific tees, pins and prevailing wind settings 

Mark has set up 2 of your 3 wishes through the CreateAGame APP.  You can set the specific pin-per-hole, wind direction, wind strength, time of day, weather conditions, and all of the other set up choices you see in-game. Tees are limited to all one kind (I was going to wait awhile before I ask Mark for Tee-per-hole option  :ph34r: ).

You can set up, name, and keep multiple tournaments at once (4 days of the Masters?).  Your tournament appears under the in-game Tournament - Public tab, and only you can see it until you invite others to play.  To me, this is like giving everyone assess to the OGT & PGLS Tournament App that we all have been asking for.

Mark also just added a full scorecard feature (Courses tab) that shows the yardage for every Pin-Tee combination (like my Hole Viewer).  His Pins aren't color coded for Difficult, Medium, and Easy like mine.

Edit: Mark is updating the CreateAGame faster than I can ask for features - pins aren't color coded, but they show if they are Difficult, Medium, or Easy. https://pgls.golflad....php?f=2&t=3642

Edited by jmk59, 28 April 2019 - 08:11 PM.

• highfade likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users