115 replies to this topic

#61 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:18 PM

I also added a lot more 3d grass stuff with high fade values around a lake and some rivers which was for sure not wealthy for fps, especially in addition to my LOD0 "adventure".
I could gain back quite some fps by resizing a lot of the speedtree atlases in use, for example the leaf ones from trees and their corresponding normal textures. I even resized some from 2048px to 256px. My course size also went from about 500mb to 450mb through this action and I didn't notice a big difference in the visuals. For sure the closer to the ground/player textures I keep at a higher reso.
Maybe worth a try if you are using speedtrees.

#62 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

Nice look...I am struggling with it framerate wise with that much grass...

Rob, it's actually less here than you see on your Spanish Bay. I'm only rendering out 20 meters.

I'm working on a random project but will see if I can redo Scioto and submit something within next week or so that uses this style. Because it blends so much better, I think you can have it fade out by 20m and the believability is still present.

I'll try and post some shots in better lighting. I was messing around with too many things at the same time.
  • Buck likes this

#63 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

DP, the shot is a little dark to clearly see it on my phone here at work. But can't wait to see it on my monitor tonight. Probably another groundshaker!
And time for an in-depth-striptease...

This could definitely be the final piece to the 3DG puzzle. Not that you need anything to make your course look better.

I'll post a few more thoughts after work today. It's really not magic on what I'm doing. It's getting something to work correctly that I couldn't get working earlier.

Unfortunately, it does mean a little Blender work. But, not painful and so worth it!

#64 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:04 PM

Unfortunately, it does mean a little Blender work. But, not painful and so worth it!

Interesting. No clue how you did it. I was guessing you changed some shader code.

#65 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

Interesting. No clue how you did it. I was guessing you changed some shader code.

That's how I wanted to achieve it but the way Stix has written the coloring/texturing of the grass is too bizarre for me to solve. It's bounced over 3 different files and I'm not bright enough to solve with zero coding background. But, I tried for a week. Ultimately, I'd like to do it this way...(I have a simulation of it using Shader Forge and can mimic the CF terrain overlay using world space position but yet to translate this back into the Stix code)

For now, the undereducated man's approach is actually just unwrapping from a projected view in Blender and scaling to the same overhead image you use in Unity for the terrain overlay method. Then, using Simple grass, Value based density and using the overhead in the Color (RGB) slot. If your image doesn't show grass, you have to add an alpha channel, colored white. This then shows all grass at full height settings. Could also be a black and white for varying heights, I believe, but I've not experimented (black=no height, white=full height in height settings).

I'll post a bit more later but figure you can get started if you wanted to experiment.
  • NoPutt likes this

#66 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

That's how I wanted to achieve it but the way Stix has written the coloring/texturing of the grass is too bizarre for me to solve. It's bounced over 3 different files and I'm not bright enough to solve with zero coding background. But, I tried for a week. Ultimately, I'd like to do it this way...(I have a simulation of it using Shader Forge and can mimic the CF terrain overlay using world space position but yet to translate this back into the Stix code)

For now, the undereducated man's approach is actually just unwrapping from a projected view in Blender and scaling to the same overhead image you use in Unity for the terrain overlay method. Then, using Simple grass, Value based density and using the overhead in the Color (RGB) slot. If your image doesn't show grass, you have to add an alpha channel, colored white. This then shows all grass at full height settings. Could also be a black and white for varying heights, I believe, but I've not experimented (black=no height, white=full height in height settings).

I'll post a bit more later but figure you can get started if you wanted to experiment.

Thanks for this written preview, DP.
I think I better wait until you have something for the crowd. UV editing is something I only did in the most basic ways so far. And as I have a nice planting flow atm I better keep this running a bit...

#67 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

Still trying to make do with our lowly PG1. Loving the blending that is occuring with the overlay providing grass blade colors. Experimenting with rake line normals as well. 

NftUJQo.jpg

qNrzyrf.jpg

Both are in game screenshots

• Arsam, luetze, Keith and 7 others like this

#68 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 04:02 PM

Looking really nice DP!

#69 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

Absolutely great stuff!

#70 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:03 PM

fbM5iRd.jpg 

• Keith, Justin9926, shimonko and 5 others like this

#71 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:52 PM

I'm Flabbergasted, that is some fabulous fescue.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#72 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:20 PM

He is one step ahead of PG2...

#73 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:26 AM

i think you have figured out the grass problem DP.Best ive seen.

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#74 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:32 PM

I've got to figure this out before I become obsolete!

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#75 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:39 PM

@DPRoberts

You really are an asset to this community.  Without your explanations and videos the other designers might find course design too routine. By offering this kind of help you are giving them new challenges, which ambitious people love to have in their lives.

Kudos! :)

Five Star Rating

48969896118_af71d277ed_o.jpg

#76 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:24 AM

Trying to cheer y'all up that are wishing for something you can't have. PG1 is still where it's at...

(unretouched photos from game...no bloom, just the way I've got the lighting and HDRi working)

op5Vb24.jpg

niaIVSR.jpg

• Keith, balaceanca81, Buck and 4 others like this

#77 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:10 AM

Nice!  :)

• Buck likes this
Ken

#78 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:20 AM

Nice indeed

#79 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:06 PM

It appears that you have adopted Skunky's inclusion of a pano to add depth and immersion.  Looks good.

• DPRoberts likes this

RTSM - Pro

#80 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:33 PM

It appears that you have adopted Skunky's inclusion of a pano to add depth and immersion. Looks good.

Definitely. You need to find just the right combo to match your peripheral terrain. The background stuff can get too large as well. But, once you do, it feels pretty real.

I also took DZ73 advice and lowered it to 8 bit. You can't perceive a difference and saves on file size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users