176 replies to this topic

#41 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:09 PM

A bit harsh considering there aren't that many top gun designers who make the entire plot realistic.

Not my intention to be "harsh", so, sorry if I've stepped on any toes. Let me be clear about what I meant: there are a few designers who do "zero" perimeter work, meaning they plant the course proper and add absolutely nothing outside the course boundary. This leads to many areas on these courses that just plain look ugly and it completely takes away from the immersion of reality of playing that course.

I get, as Skunky stated, that a designer doesn't want to completely fill out the entire course plot with objects that destroy frame rates. But clever 2d and 3d work can be (and is) done that fills the holes of emptiness surrounding a course without hurting frame rates yet doesn't leave gaping holes with nothing outside the course proper. It takes some effort and let's face it: some designers just don't want to do it and think it isn't necessary.

I think that's where the addition of a pano might make a big difference. I don't know where the pano actually fits in, but if it's placement allows a designer to plant within the course boundary alone and 2d/3d objects outside that area aren't needed that would be a significant change to designing with Course Forge. Or, perhaps minimal 2d/3d work would be all that's necessary along with a pano to enhance courses.

Again, apologies to any designers that might be offended by my earlier statement. That wasn't my intention...

• Joe Habiger, Buck and Stingreye like this
Ken

#42 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:11 PM

@KenR

I thought you were being honest and very fair.  

It was completely reasonable feedback.

The follow cam is used by many I would presume and it really can be a bad look when there's essentially "nothing" outside the course boundary.

• KenR likes this

#43 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:23 AM

I get it, I'd love it if all the courses we got had a nice margin of realism around them, but in my case the reason there's no 3D stuff is that I can't do 3D.  I just don't want you missing out on courses that are otherwise enjoyable to play because the designer lacks some know-how.  A lot of them are still basically beta.

#44 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:12 PM

EL6WmsJ.jpg
tpc sunmmerlin with new background.
  • KenR, bortimus, Charles and 1 other like this

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#45 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:54 PM

EL6WmsJ.jpg
tpc sunmmerlin with new background.

Wow!!!

#46 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:00 AM

EL6WmsJ.jpgtpc sunmmerlin with new background.

Wow!

Is that accurate to the area around the course?

#47 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:45 AM

its very close to the natural terrian around las vegas.
hZJo3R5.jpg
heres another.
  • luetze, KenR and balaceanca81 like this

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

#48 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:03 AM

But is it not accurate to what’s actually around the course?
Like is it just generic desert stuff that is sort of similar?

#49 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:09 AM

of course ,its just a desert scene,that works very well.no its not the actual background for summerlin,but it looks like it.

#50 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:17 AM

heres a couple from kingswood.
5Vg3hBw.jpg
fTQfQvP.jpg
  • KenR, balaceanca81, erwildcat and 2 others like this

#51 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:40 AM

Is there a way to edit the pano to make it more...I think saturated is the right word?  It looks good but a bit dry compared to the game graphics.

#52 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:05 AM

not that i know of,if you figure out how to do it let me know.your talking about a 16k 385 meg,32 bit photo.resampled in photoshop to 8 bit, 8k,just to make it work in unity.so im afraid the only way to make it look better is to pay 50 dollars for a 30k photo,not sure its worth it.

#53 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:33 AM

Skunky, you're hitting your stride. These images are looking better and better each week.
  • luetze, Skunky and Charles like this

#54 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:21 AM

not that i know of,if you figure out how to do it let me know.your talking about a 16k 385 meg,32 bit photo.resampled in photoshop to 8 bit, 8k,just to make it work in unity.so im afraid the only way to make it look better is to pay 50 dollars for a 30k photo,not sure its worth it.

When you change HDRI's mode to 8 bit in PS, the file is normally editable with saturation etc.. HDRIs are not editable what comes to saturation, but 8 bit images are. So you can do what ever you want with the image. There is definitely no reason to buy anything more accurate!

I liked the way backroud was. Golf courses are green and deserts are dry. Very nice!

PS. 8K HDRIs work in Unity so you don't have to convert it to 8 bit. It's a much smaller file though when in 8 bit format, so it's often wise to convert.

• Skunky and DPRoberts like this

#55 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:51 PM

When you change HDRI's mode to 8 bit in PS, the file is normally editable with saturation etc.. HDRIs are not editable what comes to saturation, but 8 bit images are. So you can do what ever you want with the image. There is definitely no reason to buy anything more accurate!

I liked the way backroud was. Golf courses are green and deserts are dry. Very nice!

PS. 8K HDRIs work in Unity so you don't have to convert it to 8 bit. It's a much smaller file though when in 8 bit format, so it's often wise to convert.

so drop, does unity except 32 bit,or just 16 bit.

#56 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

nUYaw1a.jpg
heres a final adjustment,lower saturation,which can be done in game with slider.should have this released in the next couple of days.
  • Mike Jones, KenR, yesrushdt and 5 others like this

#57 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

Looks really nice Skunky!

(god I wish he had the reflective water patch still though...grrr)

#58 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

That looks fantastic.

#59 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:14 AM

Nice...

Ken

#60 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:35 AM

I totally agree Ken.

There are some courses that look really bad outside the boundaries of the course itself, which is seen all the time if you use the Follow cam

I've played follow cam for ages in many golf games but it ruins the immersion and also the look the golf course and designer was going for. If you play follow cam and don't keep a course because it doesn't have many trees way in the distance because the camera is a frickin mile up that's YOUR fault, I know it's mine but I do like the follow cam..... 

Personally if your not going to keep it probably then just don't download it at all and save some bandwidth.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor