59 replies to this topic

#21 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

Really cool to see you jumped on the train, Brian!

I remember puhman's site and loved the course reviews. And your courses always got top ratings. Will be no other here i'm sure...

Is this one really done without an overlay?

• BSilvernail likes this

#22 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:08 PM

I remember puhman's site and loved the course reviews. And your courses always got top ratings. Will be no other here i'm sure...

No, it's not. People are just blind :D.

And that's the reason why it looks so good.

#23 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:18 PM

These color nuances made me instantly feel must be overlay. But you never no these days... new techniques popping up everyday. This old baby has one good thing. It keeps us creative.

#24 scajjr29

scajjr29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:56 PM

Got to play it a couple weeks ago and it plays and looks great (especially in 4K).

Sam

• Joe Habiger and BSilvernail like this

Desktop- MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro cooler, 32Gb DDR4-3600, ASUS 6900XT LC Hybrid, Corsair MP600 1Tb PCIe 4 NVMe (x 2), 850 EVO 1Tb, Corsair 750Gb SSDs & Hitachi 3Tb HDD ,EVGA 1000PG PSU,Monoprice 27772 32" 4K HDR monitor x2,Windows 10 Pro x64, Salient Arch Linux

Laptop- Eluktronics (Clevo) P670RS-G  i7-6700HQ, 32Gb DDR4, 512Gb & 256Gb NVMe SSDs, GTX 1070 8Gb graphics, 17.3" 1080p G-Sync, Win 10 Pro x64,

XBox One X 1Tb w/2Tb external HDD, PS4 Pro 1Tb w/1Tb external HDD

#25 BSilvernail

BSilvernail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Florida

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:43 AM

The course does use an overlay, but it is done selectively. The fairways, rough, waste areas and areas under trees utilize the overlay. The tees, bunkers and greens use custom PG textures. I wanted to give those particular shapes a nice clean edge, which is why I went that route.

• Buck likes this

#26 BSilvernail

BSilvernail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:12 AM

I enjoy all of modern course types...

...but I would be lying if I didn't admit that the 3DG is a really nice addition, particularly with how well it's been implemented in some of the recent 3DG releases.

The realistic look it adds is pretty amazing.

(I'm still blown away with how different it looks - performance aside - on NVIDIA vs AMD cards)

I've debated about adding 3D grass to Black Diamond, but haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet. My main concern is with performance. The frame rate is very good on my system for most of the holes, but there are a few spots where it will dip into the mid 30's. I've played quite a few PG courses that include 3D grass and the technique is definitely improving. I'm very excited by DPRoberts latest posts, which look exceptional. 

• Buck likes this

#27 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:34 AM

Also, not sure if anyone else is doing this, but with how great the newer course releases have become I actually found myself not playing some of the very early ones anymore. 

It's gotten to the point where I've been culling out some of them and straight up deleting them.

I'm very much a quality over quantity person in this regard though.

It's probably why the TGC "play a GAZILLION COURSES" feature really never has done much for me.

I've been rather depressed lately at the thought that I'm probably becoming somewhat obsolete. It's really hard not to take a good look at the things that are being cranked out now without the feeling that you are falling well behind the curve. My #1 priority was to learn 3D grass but the few attempts I've made to understand it so far have been kind of futile. Once things start to go outside of Course Forge and Unity and into other programs of greater niche and complexity, that's when I begin to struggle a bit.

The good news is I'm finishing up this UI design course I've been doing for almost a year... I'll need to find work as my WSOG freelance gig seems to be over, or at least is on indefinite hiatus, so I don't really know what the immediate future holds. I still have so many more things I want to do.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#28 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:50 AM

I've been rather depressed lately at the thought that I'm probably becoming somewhat obsolete.

Obsolete?

No way man!  I'm sorry what I wrote gave off that impression as I didn't intend that whatsoever.

3DG or not - when courses are great, they are great, and most every one of yours I can recall has been great (truly).

My uncle and I literally just played Spyglass tonight - had a blast!  Great great work!!

Don't despair and please don't quit - unless other things, understandably, have to take priority.

Life comes first - always.

#29 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:57 AM

Don't get too despondent Matt.  I've redrawn The Lakes a dozen times and I'm pretty sure it'll only be for my benefit.

#30 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:22 PM

I enjoy all of modern course types...

...but I would be lying if I didn't admit that the 3DG is a really nice addition, particularly with how well it's been implemented in some of the recent 3DG releases.

The realistic look it adds is pretty amazing.

(I'm still blown away with how different it looks - performance aside - on NVIDIA vs AMD cards)

I have to admit that I have turned into a 3DG snob. Been avoiding the courses I've already downloaded that do not have 3DG and also enjoy the courses with panos, which adds another dimension to the course.

• KenR, erwildcat and Buck like this

#31 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:58 PM

I have to admit that I have turned into a 3DG snob. Been avoiding the courses I've already downloaded that do not have 3DG and also enjoy the courses with panos, which adds another dimension to the course.

Now that I have a GPU that can deal with the 3DG and not ruin my FPS, I can understand your position for sure and largely agree.

I also want to say that really “any” ok level NVIDIA card seems to handle the 3DG (resolution dependent as always).  Even my uncle running just a 970 at 1600x900 or there about has no issue with 3DG.

My issues were running a lower end AMD card - emphasis on the AMD part.  That said, I’d bet a newer/higher end AMD card (like 5600xt/5700+) could probably muscle its way through.  

It might not “look” right though.  For some reason, the grass literally looked different on the AMD card vs NVIDIA, performance stuff aside.

#32 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:12 PM

I prob should have looked closer to see the overlay here, the standard looking bunkers threw me.  On a side note i have no preference for overlay or 3DG.  Some real world courses are just boring to play in a sim/game sense ( almost all trump courses are boring as hell ) if its fun to play then its a winner no matter how its designed.

• GolfGuy72_2000 likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#33 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:23 AM

course layout, design and playability for me trump 3DG- no pun intended DoGgs :lol:

• DoGgs and GolfGuy72_2000 like this

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#34 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:37 AM

A few things I've seen and read elsewhere on the site have not helped my disposition.

I think more than anything else I'm just frustrated at not being able to work on anything, new or old.

#35 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:16 AM

Happy Birthday, Matt!

All the best i'm sure from all of us still around here!

And lets wish the fun in designing comes back this year!

#36 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:42 AM

Oh, you noticed, lol.... yeah, I got to play the real thing today, which was a nice novelty for someone who usually has a winter birthday :)

• KenR and Tresclub like this

#37 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:59 AM

Happy Birthday Matt- hope you had/having a good day

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#38 clint

clint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:38 AM

Happy Birthday!

#39 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

I've debated about adding 3D grass to Black Diamond, but haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet. My main concern is with performance. The frame rate is very good on my system for most of the holes, but there are a few spots where it will dip into the mid 30's. I've played quite a few PG courses that include 3D grass and the technique is definitely improving. I'm very excited by DPRoberts latest posts, which look exceptional.

Due the the limitation mainly being CPU for any system with an nvidia 1060 or better, it’s really almost free FPS for 3dgrass. The shader is very efficient and uses GPU that typically goes unused in this game.
  • BSilvernail likes this

#40 BSilvernail

BSilvernail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:04 AM

Due the the limitation mainly being CPU for any system with an nvidia 1060 or better, it’s really almost free FPS for 3dgrass. The shader is very efficient and uses GPU that typically goes unused in this game.

Thanks for the information. Beyond performance, another concern I had regarding 3D grass was it blending well with an overlay. It looks like DPRoberts has solved that issue with his latest techniques. I will certainly look into creating a 3D grass version of Black Diamond once the course is complete.

• erwildcat likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users