73 replies to this topic

#61 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 06:43 PM

I've stated before and will again: personally speaking, I am not buying a $500 console to play a golf game, no matter how visually appealing it might be. Would I be tempted? Sure, but I just couldn't justify the cost for one game. So far there has been no indication EA's new game will ever be available for the PC, and that is disappointing, because the PC market is begging for a new golf game with up to date "next gen" graphics. I would like this game to also have a course creator, but could live with a model where I have to purchase individual courses or course packs. We did it with the old Links game, and I could do it again. First though, the game would have to be available!
  • BSilvernail and Mic Fleetwood like this
Ken

#62 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:11 PM

I see no reason to let $500 ($400 if you get a PS5 digital) get in the way of enjoying what could end up being the best looking golf game -- ever

Hopefully gameplay matches up - we shall see.

Consoles have INCREDIBLE resale value.

Don't dismiss buying one and giving it a try when the time comes.

I would also add that the XBX/PS5 generation are absolutely BANGING values when comparing how much PC hardware is required to play at 4k/60 or even 120.

They are selling that hardware at a loss it would seem (or close) -- it takes more than double those prices on the PC side to even approximate the performance.

• Tigers Agent and Greensboronclion like this

#63 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:13 AM

I will be shocked if EA's new golf game includes a course architect. I just don't see it happening. It doesn't fit with their business model of focusing on the majors. Including Augusta National alone will sell a lot of copies. But, no matter how well these courses are recreated in their new game, will it get boring after a while playing the same limited number of courses over an over? I'm sure for some people it would. If the game is success, I imagine they will either sell course packs for future majors or just sell a new bi-annual version of the game.

Personally, I prefer a golf game with a course architect any day over a game without one. It adds more variety, even when the architect is a bit limited like the one for PGA 2K21. Sure, there are lots of course designs that aren't worth your time, but there are plenty of gems as well. Giving the end user the ability to be creative is always a good thing for your game's longevity. Would Perfect Golf have survived as long as it has without the Course Forge? Doubtful.

Honestly, I don't disagree with anything here - at all

I think the best news is that both games/franchises are proceeding ahead.

It's actually much better to have both.

I think what's happened is that I'm just at a stage of life where I prefer a reasonable library of amazing first party courses.

My other issue on the 2k21 side is that none of the RCRs really "feel" like the actual courses (to me) due to the restrictions of that designer.

I hope they find a way to open that up and make it much more versatile - ala Course Forge

• KenR, BSilvernail and Greensboronclion like this

#64 BSilvernail

BSilvernail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Florida

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:00 PM

Honestly, I don't disagree with anything here - at all

I think the best news is that both games/franchises are proceeding ahead.

It's actually much better to have both.

I think what's happened is that I'm just at a stage of life where I prefer a reasonable library of amazing first party courses.

My other issue on the 2k21 side is that none of the RCRs really "feel" like the actual courses (to me) due to the restrictions of that designer.

I hope they find a way to open that up and make it much more versatile - ala Course Forge

Quite true. Competition between EA and 2K in the golf game market should help push both products to be better. We've seen what happens when EA has a monopoly on a series such as the NFL and the lack of innovation in the Madden games. As Ken mentioned, I just hope EA decides to release a PC version of their new golf game. Their recent track record on the PC for sports games hasn't been great. If their golf game is coming out in the spring, I would think we would start to see screenshots or videos of it sometime soon.

• KenR and Buck like this

#65 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:31 PM

I see no reason to let $500 ($400 if you get a PS5 digital) get in the way of enjoying what could end up being the best looking golf game -- ever

Buck, you've mentioned this before and while I just don't see this happening for me individually, I'm in the "never say never" camp when it comes to some life choices. So, we'll see; but EA's game would have to be stupendous both graphically and in playability/features for me to change my mind. The simplest answer to this is of course for EA to put out a PC version.

I would think we would start to see screenshots of videos of it sometime soon.

Hopefully this will happen soon. I think many enthusiasts are looking forward to seeing what EA has up it's sleeve with the new game, especially in regards to graphics.

• BSilvernail likes this
Ken

#66 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:19 PM

The simplest answer to this is of course for EA to put out a PC version.

Oh man - do I wish they would..

Sadly I don't see it happening.

They are pretty consistent these days in that the PC releases have to be the "very very popular" franchises.

#67 BSilvernail

BSilvernail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Florida

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:59 PM

It is unfortunate. Today's consoles are basically PC's, so you would think it would be relatively straight forward for EA to port their golf game to Windows. Plus, who does golf mainly appeal to? I would say it is generally older gamers like us, many of who mostly play on the PC. I'd be curious to know how the PC sales of PGA 2K21 compare to the console sales.

• KenR and Buck like this

#68 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:25 PM

It is unfortunate. Today's consoles are basically PC's, so you would think it would be relatively straight forward for EA to port their golf game to Windows. Plus, who does golf mainly appeal to? I would say it is generally older gamers like us, many of who mostly play on the PC. I'd be curious to know how the PC sales of PGA 2K21 compare to the console sales.

Absolutely

It's ever weirder given how much MS themselves are pushing cross platform and cross purchase with XB & Windows now

• KenR and BSilvernail like this

#69 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:21 PM

Delayed another year.

Now not coming out until spring of 2023

https://twitter.com/...7577769991?s=21

#70 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 06:44 PM

Little bit of a disappointment, hope this means PC might be added to the platform list.

Still hoping with the MS push on PC gaming to see a rejuvenation of Links.
  • Buck and Slattery like this
Ken

#71 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:39 PM

Little bit of a disappointment, hope this means PC might be added to the platform list.
Still hoping with the MS push on PC gaming to see a rejuvenation of Links.

Me too.

My playing partner now being in his mid 80’s means “any change is hard”…
Something new on PC would be best

#72 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 03:40 AM

Well, I have no idea if MS would really revive Links, but I thought Flight Simulator was dead and gone too, so who knows? The exciting thing about it, the new engines driving games (sims - have to watch it there  :D ) like FS, Forza, Red Dead R., etc. are amazing in the graphics department, so imagining a Links revival with next gen graphics on the PC along with all the goodies we got with Links 2003 just kind of makes one salivate a bit at what Links could be today. As many have wondered here, if only someone at MS would get the ball rolling with the right individual perhaps it could happen. Won't hold my breath, but.... wouldn't it be great?

• Buck and RobV like this
Ken

#73 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 04:55 AM

It would indeed be great Ken

One other thing that the MSFS revival showed us all is that a ton more performance and scalability (up and down) is possible with some different approaches to things.

I have to think that if any amount of major developer resources were pointed at a golf game, we could have incredibly awesome graphics and immersion.

EA Rory looked really great a full 7 years ago now.

My fingers are crossed for someone (maybe it will be EA in 2023?  -- maybe 2K23 this fall?) will finally give us a true next generation golf game through and through.

I love PG and it's good looking for what it is...

But boy does it fall short graphically from what's thrown around on AAA games these days.

• KenR likes this

#74 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 07:41 PM

Indeed...
Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users