#41 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 29 June 2021 - 02:09 AM

What a load of garbage. What year is this 1992?

Give it a rest you Links tragics.

• erwildcat, Buck and Justin9926 like this

#42 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:45 AM

Well, the game isn't Links, that is for sure. The swing meter is way too fast on the downswing (can't develop any kind of rhythm), there is no consistency to the short game, and I'm not sure about the putting either. The graphics aren't terrible, but the rough textures are definitely outdated and lack appeal. For this to get any kind of decent look from golfers I think the swing meter has got to be tuned.

If PG were to disappear, I would probably dig up my Links 2003 software and courses and be happy with that until the next iteration of EA's game comes out (and that is making an assumption EA will make it available for the PC, which at this point it looks like it may be console only).

In the meantime, PG will have to satisfy my golf itch. I do dabble with 2K21 from time to time, but it just doesn't always seem to be satisfying enough for me. It was fun for awhile, but then I just get this feeling the game isn't cerebral and realistic enough, if that makes any sense. I think the graphics are good, but again, after awhile there is just this feeling of sameness to every course, no matter what theme a course is made from. I'm not bashing the game by any means, I think it is a good game, but that overall satisfaction just isn't there.

Let's face it: Links 2003 spoiled all golf games for me. Sure wish a bona fide Links 2022 with an updated, modern graphics engine would appear on the horizon. One can fantasize...

• fungolfer, Buck and RobV like this
Ken

#43 Rackme32

Rackme32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:56 AM

It's been around as a simulator for a while. They just decided to port it over to the 3-clickers to see how much cash it would draw. I think you're mistaken if you are expecting big improvements down the road.

Duly noted.  I had no idea E6 existed til now.

Went to Digital Storm and ordered me up a nice gaming machine :)

Intel i3 chip at 3.9G

16 gig DDR4 RAM

GeForce 970 GTX 4gig vid card

240G SSD

1TB HD

Windows 10

It's HERE!!  JNPG runs great with all the bells and whistles at max or close to it...  I still turn 3D render off for the swing, tho.

#44 Volker

Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSehnde, Germany

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:36 AM

What a load of garbage. What year is this 1992?

Give it a rest you Links tragics.

Saying that Links E6 looks like 1992 is not only a joke, it is an insult. Try to manage the settings your PC and it looks beautiful.

• RobV likes this

#45 GodZilla

GodZilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:10 PM

GOG has Links games, maybe they will get them all.

https://www.gog.com/...ort=date&page=1

This Links E6 is just a simulator with a 3 click tool added. I'll stick to a fully developed PC golf game.

• RobV likes this

#46 brokenclub

brokenclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

The tutorials were done by Mr. Jones

#47 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 29 June 2021 - 03:53 PM

just don't care for the ball launcher vs avatar.

the music sucks,lol I guess it would fill in at times but I just don't see E6

getting much playing time verses PG on my machine. now if PG were to go away

it would then be a good replacement I do believe, I will more then likely buy all the dlc that comes along with it just to offer my support 

and who knows it may turn out to be a good game someday. it was the way I looked at this game in the start maybe just as well do the same with this E6 maybe it will make it someday.

• Parboy likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#48 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:39 PM

I'm going to give this some more play time just for the fun of it. It does have that "Links" feel to it, and the sky boxes are nice to have back.

If the developer is reading this forum thread, please seriously consider making a slight timing adjustment to the downswing meter, at least in beginner mode. It's just a bit too fast. The Links 2003 meter was just about perfect and would be worth emulating.
  • fungolfer, Parboy and RobV like this
Ken

#49 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:40 PM

The tutorials were done by Mr. Jones

That would be Chris Jones of Links2003 and Tex Murphy fame.

And move the 3C meter out of the center - it blocks your putting view.

• shimonko likes this

#50 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

I attempted to play it, it did nothing for me. If I want Links, I will just play it. But PG is better than Links. I am having fun with 2K21

• Buck likes this

#51 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:24 PM

Came back after not visiting the forums for a bit and saw this thread...  downloaded E6 Links. 

First of all, while the splash screen loaded and heard, "Looks like I hit the tree, Jim"... I got real excited!    BUT other than the name, this is NOT MS Links!   I can see how some may compare, but for me, I did not find many comparisons.   So that aside, here are some quick notes I took down while playing 9 holes.   Played 3C and will try mouse swing another time.   In no particular order

• Its actually not that bad of a golf game!   I enjoyed it for what it was, a decent golf game with some good, some bad. 
  • Visuals were, ok.   Nothing write home about.   Trees, bushes, 2D grass, buildings were ok, overall environment was fine.   No 3D grass
  • Interface was easy to manage through.  Buttons easily recognizable.  Could not customize the overhead camera, make it zoom in or zoom out, larger, smaller.   Fly by of hole was cool..  (using a drone?) 
  • Resume play loaded flawlessly.   No issues of the quirkiness you find in PG.  Fired right up where I left off. 
  • P2P runs great.  Cool lobby system, tested with my brother.   able to get into a game easily and including a saved game to resume.  
  • I like the way the pin comes out of the cup while chipping.. pretty neat little feature.   Although, chipping itself is a questionable, but then again, as with any golf game you just have to adapt and adjust.  
  • Swing meter is fine...  10Xs better than PGs ancient looking and crawl meter... again, this is based off of 3C and not mouse swing.  
  • Physics are ok...  a few weird occurrences here and there, hitting trees and in bushes, but out of the shots I hit, most were fine.  Had one issue where the ball hit the cup and decided to rebound away from the hole.. 
  • Replay option is pretty darn cool and easy to use. 

Overall, not too bad of a golf game.. I do like having an avatar, so having none was a little strange for me, but I honestly didn't miss it too much after a bunch of shots, I got used to it.   Its ok, you know?   Its like a middle of the road, decent enough golf game.   Nothing too over the top and fancy, and not too bad either...  I'll give it a couple more rounds to see if it stays on my machine or not.   

• ✠ davef ✠ and Mulligan like this

#52 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:30 PM

I agree about the pin coming out and the replay system, otherwise it's no more than a simulator ported to Steam.

A big meh from me.

• ✠ davef ✠, Buck and RobV like this

#53 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 01:05 AM

I took another look at it. Something just doesn't seem right about it. I'm not the best gamer around so the learning curve for me will be a bit steeper than most. I am not sure about the sound either. Whenever my ball lands it sounds like static. I don't like that at all.

#54 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 09:03 PM

I wonder if the Jones Boys are involved. I recall when they were first putting together PG they considered using a "no avatar" model, at least they demoed a version that was shooting the ball like it was out of a cannon.

If the Jones boys are involved then I would think that they would be able to up the graphics, not just a little but seriously update it. I am wondering if the designers are only allowed to work with the Links 2003 designer. Links does look good but imho no near as well as PG. I know that I wasn't too thrilled with it at first look, but I think that if they can get a community of first class designers I could get on board with it. I have been playing around with it and actually because I like 3 click I have been having fun. I am curious, I wonder how much influence American Family has with the game? If they are involved, you'd think that they could invest a little money and come up with a much superior product. I might not be remembering correctly but it seems to me at about the same time Phi Golf came about E6 was also a player in that market. Phi Golf got linked up with WGT but I have no idea about E6. Come to think of it the graphics look similar to WGT. Another thing, I have to look into is getting signed in. It isn't working for me. I have to play as a guest.  RobV. thanks for your critique. This will be staying on my machine. It's a relaxing game for me.

I keep waiting for Crusher to chime in.

#55 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:18 AM

RobV. thanks for your critique. This will be staying on my machine. It's a relaxing game for me.

I keep waiting for Crusher to chime in.

Not a problem.. I know it was not a complete review, but that was a quick go around...  and I agree.. its staying on my machine too..  I'm having fun with it and I'm already used to the meter..  sure, its different, but it should be its a different game.  

That is one annoying aspect of this game... signing in each time you play, but I suppose that was based on the simulator build.. a minor nuisance but would be cool if it auto signed in.  

#56 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 July 2021 - 03:41 AM

There’s a post in the forums over on steam on how you can save your log in info so you don’t have to log in every time. I’m just too lazy to find it.
  • RobV likes this

#57 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:10 AM

5th post down

• ArcadeHack likes this

#58 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:18 AM

Is this game really any better than just going back and playing Links 2003 or TW 08 or something?

I don't see the appeal at all

• MERACE and erwildcat like this

#59 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:55 PM

Is this game really any better than just going back and playing Links 2003 or TW 08 or something?

I don't see the appeal at all

I don't think so at all...  in my opinion, a different golf game...  and yes, we all know you dont like it Buck.   We got it. 

#60 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 05:26 PM

There’s a post in the forums over on steam on how you can save your log in info so you don’t have to log in every time. I’m just too lazy to find it.

Thanks Arcade, found it.

• Settings > Config > Remember Players: On
  • Go to Player Profile
  • Add Player to Roster
  • Click on Edit (pencil icon)
  • Security > Stay Logged In.  

Easy enough.. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users