#41 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

For anyone who likes games like Diablo III then a free to play game has just dropped on Steam today - Path of Exile.

I've downloaded it (around 5GB) but have yet to try it, though from the trailer and the screenshots, it looks sweet (and did I say... it's free).

Also, for those a little wary of free to play (and the advantages folks sometimes get by purchasing premium items) the developers have this to say:-

Fair to play. Never Pay to win.

We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in Path of Exile.

;)

• IanD likes this

#42 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Also like to put forward a project currently ongoing, all by just one developer. a game called Banished - which is a city building strategy game.

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

If one guy can achieve this, I have every faith in PP giving us a decent golf game.

;)

One final one from Steam that was released yesterday for under a tenner - How To Survive. Not just your usual hack and slash affair, but one with quite a deep crafting system to grow your character as you try to survive the undead.

#43 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

Really enjoying playing Path of Exile. So far only played a couple of the early quests with the Ranger character (an archer who would give William Tell a run for his money), but the AI 'undead' can be quite a handful at times and the graphics are superb.

The download has been well worth every penny. Oh hang on.......

;)

#44 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

Me again, lol.

Here to offer another slice of free-to-play pie from Steam (seeing as we have no Perfect Golf or Course Forge to dirty our hands with). This time I'm offering RIFT, a free download MMORPG set in a fantasy world called Telara. This looks like what I was hoping TERA would be, so looking forward to giving this a trial run.

So if fantasy based MMORPG floats your boat, why not take a look, it won't hit you in the pocket, just in the download data usage, lol. It's not a new title as was about in 2011, but recently went free to play in Jun 2013 and has now just arrived on Steam.

#45 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

Looking at recent posts, its like I have my own thread, lol.

Just dropping back in to say that my interest in ESO has waned, after finding out it will require a $15 p/month subscription on top of what you pay for the game. Makes it a quite expensive purchase for something I wouldn't be playing all of the time, which has put the game on my back burner.

Will have to stick to finding the free-to-play titles on steam, lol (as well as a few paid for titles at competitive prices).

;)

#46 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

Just bought my first smartphone - Nokia Lumia 620, so at the moment I'm downloading lots of free apps and games on this.

After having tried Windows 8 on my brothers new laptop and hating it (as did he, putting Win 7 on it the following day!), I have to say, on a touch screen phone it works rather well, and I'm very impressed so far!!

I'll post back on the games that appeal in a week or so.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#47 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

I was deeply hurt, viciously insulted and then endlessly bored by Diablo 3, Daz, and I would be all over Path of Exile (as you recommended) or even Torchlight 2, if I could. But  there are no Mac versions available for these games.

(Short break right here, until I have overcome my searing rage and seething hatred for these vile miscreants… deep breaths…. there, better now…)  

I'm currently in a no-game state, but my autodidactic entaglement with Unity for prepping courses is equally gratifying. Other than that, I enjoy solving a Sudoku on my PC (evil difficulty), to stop the old noggin from disintegrating completely.

• Dazmaniac likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#48 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

I was deeply hurt, viciously insulted and then endlessly bored by Diablo 3, Daz, and I would be all over Path of Exile (as you recommended) or even Torchlight 2, if I could. But  there are no Mac versions available for these games.

(Short break right here, until I have overcome my searing rage and seething hatred for these vile miscreants… deep breaths…. there, better now…)  

I'm currently in a no-game state, but my autodidactic entaglement with Unity for prepping courses is equally gratifying. Other than that, I enjoy solving a Sudoku on my PC (evil difficulty), to stop the old noggin from disintegrating completely.

K11,

I have a buddy in the very same boat as you. He keeps asking about my current gaming library and when I say things like Path of Exile he asks is there a Mac version? and I reply in the negative and then he retreats to a darkened room, lol.

Have you ever tried DOTA 2 the free MMORPG from Valve?
There is also Iesabel which is currently on 15% discount until tomorrow. Haven't played this but looks the usual RPG/3rd person hack and slash.

;)

• Kablammo11 likes this

#49 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Just bought my first smartphone - Nokia Lumia 620, so at the moment I'm downloading lots of free apps and games on this.

After having tried Windows 8 on my brothers new laptop and hating it (as did he, putting Win 7 on it the following day!), I have to say, on a touch screen phone it works rather well, and I'm very impressed so far!!

I'll post back on the games that appeal in a week or so.

Lez,

I used to have some free puzzle games on my old iPhone (haven't gotten around to putting them on my Xperia Z1 yet) Not sure if they'd be your cuppa, but they are free and can easily be uninstalled if not:-

Trainyard Express

Geared

Cover Orange

iSlash

These should work OK on the screensize of the Limia 620.

;)

#50 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

@Daz - I don't think iPhone stuff is compatible with Windows.

#51 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

@Daz - I don't think iPhone stuff is compatible with Windows.

They aren't, lol and iPhone apps aren't compatible with Android phones, but I now get my apps from Google Play store (for my Xperia Z1), which is effectively the Android equivalent of Apple's App Store on iTunes.

Had a quick look on Windows Apps

Trainyard Express = there's a similar free app called Rail Maze

iSlash = there's a similar free app called Sushi Slash

Couldn't see anything for the other two :-(

;)

#52 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

Well Daz nothing's free to play mate, I've been playing Guild Wars 2 since release and or though the game has no monthly sub it has a gem store where you buy gems for cash

to buy extra inventory slots or bank slots and loads of other stuff. And of course TESO will have to compete with WoW so I knew it would be a monthly sub.

What's getting on my nerves is I signed up for beta in January and still haven't been invited

#53 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

Have you ever tried DOTA 2 the free MMORPG from Valve?

There is also Iesabel which is currently on 15% discount until tomorrow. Haven't played this but looks the usual RPG/3rd person hack and slash.

;)

Thanks for the pointers, Daz. I'm not on the market for entering a long-term relationship with a non-golf game right now, because I'm still clinging to the insane notion that the Forge and PerfectGolf are somewhere on the horizon and will be bestowed upon us soon, right? Right?…. right? C'mon, don't stay silent, say something…. right? Hello-o-o-o? Anybody….? Please…  Aw crapola, back to my Sudoku.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#54 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

For anyone who likes their fun behind the wheel on their PC (more sim oriented than your NFS offerings), I can recommend taking a look at Assetto Corsa on Steam.

22% discount with Early Access price. Sim has been in development for quite some time now (made by the same guys who brought us NetKar Pro) and is currently in ALPHA/BETA state. Currently with a handful of cars and tracks available, it will be getting fortnightly updates, with the first one coming 22nd Nov, with 3 new cars and 2 tracks to add to the current content. :)

#55 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

For anyone who likes their fun behind the wheel on their PC (more sim oriented than your NFS offerings), I can recommend taking a look at Assetto Corsa on Steam.

22% discount with Early Access price. Sim has been in development for quite some time now (made by the same guys who brought us NetKar Pro) and is currently in ALPHA/BETA state. Currently with a handful of cars and tracks available, it will be getting fortnightly updates, with the first one coming 22nd Nov, with 3 new cars and 2 tracks to add to the current content. :)

I'm playing f1 2013 at the moment but will probably get Assetto Corsa when it's released. I've got Pcars but haven't  touched it for months. Due to wireless internet I only play offline :mellow:

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#56 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

Wasn't sure if I posted in here regarding some of the sites I regularly check for old, and very low cost games. They also claim they aid charity, so if true it all helps someone out there too.. two sites worth checking on a weekly basis that I'm aware of - perhaps there are more I'm unaware of ?

Humble Bundle

This week, you can get F.E.A.R. I,II & III plus two Batman games for less than $5. All require downloading (recommened Steam), and you can pay more if you wish.

Bundle Stars

This week, there is an abundance of games, Crusader Kings, Enclave etc.. a total of 9 that you can purchase from £3 for the collection.

Got to be worth bookmarking..

#57 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Back to ESO - Elder Scrolls Online.

Still didn't get a BETA invite and the pricing structure they have put in place has moved the game down my wish-list for now, but for those that may still be interesting in some online hack and slash and spell casting, it has been confirmed by Bethesda that ESO will be going online from April 4, 2014

;)

#58 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Per my 11 Dec13 post, I received a BETA invite earlier this week for the forthcoming 'server stress tests' for the PC version of ESO.

Still unsure if I will get the final release version, due to the monthly sub they are looking at requiring, as I just don't play games like this often enough to warrant stumping up a hefty wad just to get online. If it was golf or driving, then maybe I would think differently, but MMO RPG type games I like to play as and when.

On a slight tangent, good news on the Banished front. The game creator has now named a release date of 18Feb14. If you like town building/resource making type of games, maybe worth checking this out.

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

;)

#59 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Daz, same as you.. on my borthday this week I received the Beta Invite for this weekend. Just spent a day downloading the 25gb or so needed .. so I'm all set for doors open.. grinding weapons as we speak..

#60 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Having been an avid gamer for most of my life, the last few years I seemed to have lost the desire and I have only really played Links and a couple of other games. Recently though, this desire has slowly been returning and I'm starting to get into gaming again. The games that have really grabbed me this last week are kind of retro. Firstly Starbound, which graphically looks like an old Snes game - This is still in beta, but already seems really good, and for the last couple of days I've also been playing the HD version of Spelunky on PC. This game is the most addictive I've played in ages, mainly because of the amount of choices and strategies you can make whilst playing, coupled with the fact that the levels are randomly created, giving you a new challenge every time you play. At first I was rather irritated by a ghost that appears and kills you, until I read that this is a timed game, not an 'explore and collect all' type. After changing my playing style to suit this I can now see what an awesome game this really is. I'm not getting very far with it - I'm getting killed a lot, and swearing a lot, but then I'm straight back in for another go!!!! ........ this game is so addictive. B) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users