48 replies to this topic

#21 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

Looks awesome....I can only dream of playing the game that looks that good....LOL

#22 Tekray

Tekray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

Just so you know Rehit, game isn't currently working with crossfire, least not on my system :(

#23 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

i am not sure if Unity supports multiple GPU's.
i am looking into it.

there are plenty of other games that will use the Crossfire.

#24 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

the use of crossfire and sli is determined by the video driver.

it will depend on whether the card manufacturers optimize the drivers for the application.
we (the users) could probably lobby for that when the game is released.

#25 spy88

spy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

Mick, I have to say I'm quite envious of those with systems that allows one to truly appreciate PG.  But even with the best available (money being no object), the game is still missing a fundamental aspect that would truly set this sim as the  standard to be compared to.  And what is that you ask?

We've got height and width...no depth.  I can't think of any other single reason to replace my entire system if the game were in 3D.  Can you imagine how the game would look and play with it?  WOW!  I'm hoping that all involved with PG development has this as a goal somewhere, sometime down the road.  It would then set a standard unlike any other.

#26 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

I think you can force a form of 3d with a good videocard and it's drivers.

Personally I always found the 3d tech demos and films to be unconvincing and more like cardboard layer upon layer to create a sense of depth. 

#27 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

Just curious, but for those playing Ultra High on maxed out sliders, what FPS are you getting?

Once I got used to locked 60fps there was simply no way I could tolerate under 60fps so I tweak the sliders to make sure I always get my 60.

It's a game changing smoothness at 60fps
  • ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#28 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

I find anything over 40 FPS to be really smooth but it depends on what your eyes get used to and everyone has a different sensitivity to frames per second.

#29 mack

mack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

I have been playing on a custom high setting using 3 monitors at 5760 x 1080. Visually looks good at this setting.

I tried lowering the resolution to 1920 x 1080 playing on 1 screen with ultra high settings and it does look real nice now. Frame rates were around 50-70 on this setting. Going back to a resolution of 5760 x 1080 with ultra high settings I was getting around 35-55 but definitely not as smooth.

I shot my best score of -2 with 1920 x 1080 resolution too, probably because it plays much smoother. My previous best was +6. You can see so much more of the course across 3 screens though but it does take a bit of a hit on performance as would be expected.

#30 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:48 PM

Just curious, but for those playing Ultra High on maxed out sliders, what FPS are you getting?

Once I got used to locked 60fps there was simply no way I could tolerate under 60fps so I tweak the sliders to make sure I always get my 60.

It's a game changing smoothness at 60fps

This is exactly how I have mine set up.  Have to change my sliders if I get any dip at all.

#31 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

i am getting anywhere from 40-70 FPS with everything maxed out.

that is why i am encouraging people with a PCI-E 2.0 slot to look into one of the cards i posted in my system build.

they are only $99 after rebate and with a dual core 3.0 CPU and up should enable you to use ultra high.

the only other thing is you must have a high end power supply.

basically if you need the PSU and the card you are looking at $300.

not an entire new system.

the game is a 3D game it is just not a true 3D application.

that technology has basically died on the vine already.

the 3D TVs failed miserably and are already out of production.

true 3D is only still viable in the movie industry.

#32 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:57 PM

I find anything over 40 FPS to be really smooth but it depends on what your eyes get used to and everyone has a different sensitivity to frames per second.

If we could lock in less than 60fps (say like 50), I'm sure I'd be ok as the issue of smoothness seems really helped by no fluctuation in the frame rate. Seems like the only way to lock is using vsync at 60, yeah?

Or perhaps some of the GPU tweak tools depending upon the card in use.

#33 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

if your swing meter is smooth at 30-40 you should be good to go.
that is the only really critical thing about FPS.

regular TV standard is 30 FPS
HDTV standard is 60 FPS.

other than maybe a little motion blur the human eye really doesn't notice anything different above 60 FPS.
now if you were filming something and wanted to slow it down FPS is big deal.

they use ultra high speed cameras to film things like bullets in flight at 5000 FPS and up.

this way they can slow it down to something the human eye and brain can comprehend and you get to see a bullet in flight.

#34 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

this article explains it very well...

http://www.3dgaming.com/fps/fps.html

#35 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

@re-hit. I understand what you're saying about getting 40+ fps being "good to go", but I think what maybe you're missing in what I'm saying is that unless the frame rate is locked, the smoothness level noticeably is all over the place in the follow cam.

Only with a locked and stable frame rate have I seen the follow cam always be silky smooth -- this is the stuff that takes the experience in games over the top in terms of immersion, etc.

#36 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

you can lock the framerate using fraps and other programs.

the issue is going to be having a system that consistently provides framerates above the lock you want to set.

the FPS changes from scene to scene.
if you try and lock it at 60 and your system only makes 30 in a certain scene, you are just going to cause crashes.
your theory is well founded but you may find the lock point to be well below 60 FPS.

#37 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

Evolution Studios took flak for locking FPS to 30 in DriveClub on PS4 @ 1080P, but it was an inspired decision.

Looks stunning, runs smooth as you like whatever conditions are being raced on whatever track. Loads of folks were wanting it locked to 60 FPS, which would have meant a probable drop in the level of details seen in game.

#38 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

you can lock the framerate using fraps and other programs.
the issue is going to be having a system that consistently provides framerates above the lock you want to set.
the FPS changes from scene to scene.
if you try and lock it at 60 and your system only makes 30 in a certain scene, you are just going to cause crashes.
your theory is well founded but you may find the lock point to be well below 60 FPS.

Thx. Will play with some of this tonight.

I'm already locked at 60, but curious about trying 45-50 and see how far I can jack up the sliders mainly.

#39 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

it took a little while but i got one with some great god rays.

have a look.

#40 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:39 PM

another with a pretty long putt...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users