#21 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

What would be really useful would be a series of video's similar to the ones  Acrilix did for APCD.

I found all of them incredibly useful and much more informative than the dry online stuff for Unity.

I learn much better visually than I do any other way.

Posted Image

#22 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:24 PM

What would be really useful would be a series of video's similar to the ones  Acrilix did for APCD.

I found all of them incredibly useful and much more informative than the dry online stuff for Unity.

I learn much better visually than I do any other way.

Stephen, isn't that what K-11's doing in the 'Show and Tell' topic. It's probably not as polished as what Acrilix did for APCD, but it's an unfinished product and K-11 has jumped in with both feet to learn it. I agree with you, that at some point a set of well constructed and detailed videos would be very appropriate and should be 'pinned'. But it seems that others are using what's currently available to start their learning process. It's impossible to have complete, detailed and comprehensive videos for a 'moving target'.

As Daz would say, 'patience grasshopper'. :D

• Stephen Sullivan likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#23 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

As Daz would say, 'patience grasshopper'. :D

Richard

I'm too old for patience  ;)

Posted Image

#24 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

It's impossible to have complete, detailed and comprehensive videos for a 'moving target'.

I totally agree. I always preferred my target stationary when I used to do Compound Archery about 10 years ago B)  

Posted Image

#25 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

Richard

I'm too old for patience  ;)

LOL, I've got 20 years on you, you 'snot nosed' kid!! :D Stick around, you'll eventually grow into it out of necessity.

Richard

Posted Image

#26 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

I still think that PP's goal should be to make their course architect as easy as possible. Sure, have options to do more difficult things. This back and forth about "How hard is hard", though entertaining, isn't what my original post was about.

Completely disagree... why, so we can have to weed through 10,000 courses that are just terrible and not worth playing?   That was basically one of the main reasons why I quit that other game.   5% of the user made courses were worth playing and the rest all look the same, horribly designed and a complete waste of time.... talk about losing patience.   

• NoPutt and Sid like this

#27 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

Stephen, isn't that what K-11's doing in the 'Show and Tell' topic. It's probably not as polished as what Acrilix did for APCD, but it's an unfinished product and K-11 has jumped in with both feet to learn it. .....

No Richard, it's not and it's certainly not a step-by-step tutorial. NoPutts videos are much more in that vein (and his speaking voice is so much more charming than mine) - my video are just showing the whole environment in action, focussed on synergies rather than specifics. Unpolished? Why, yes of course. I could try and do polished, but here's the rub: It would be a bit too soon, that's my take on the matter at least, to produce detailed, technical tuts for an app... that is not available yet. And won't be for months to come.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#28 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:47 PM

No Richard, it's not and it's certainly not a step-by-step tutorial. NoPutts videos are much more in that vein (and his speaking voice is so much more charming than mine) - my video are just showing the whole environment in action, focussed on synergies rather than specifics. Unpolished? Why, yes of course. I could try and do polished, but here's the rub: It would be a bit too soon, that's my take on the matter at least, to produce detailed, technical tuts for an app... that is not available yet. And won't be for months to come.

I kind of like you voice :). Agree it isn't polished, but you do provide a lot of interesting and important information. I also agree that comprehensive step-by-step is premature just like it is for the game itself. Between you, No Putt and others, I'm almost ready to give it a go myself. I just haven't gotten the nerve up yet. Someday!!

Richard

Posted Image

#29 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

Even if someone just pinned this... !. download this. 2 download that. 3 download this..  That's it. Tuts to come later..

Now mind you I'm not going to look at this until and if we get WASDFV key's so I can check out what I design, in the game, without having to actually play the game. That's just me. but the first thing I was going to do was download unity and I downloaded unity 5 instead, then found out thats not the right one (its not supported). 

I also downloaded CF and the library but couldn't get the lib to download, got some error I think either because I didn't have Unity loaded or because it was in .rar file...

Anyway, point is, I was already turned off then remembered I was waiting for some better cam key's so just said forget it.

I understand I don't want it handed to me on a silver platter and when I am serious about it, I will figure it out but if someone just pinned the first few things you need to download and in what order, it might be very helpful to those who want to give it a try.. ;)

Again, Don't worry about me, when the time comes I will figure it all out, if I want to.. But just to give folks a couple of things they need to download just to get what they need to start would be helpful.. Tuts I agree will come much later on..

• TheOtherRick likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#30 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

Now mind you I'm not going to look at this until and if we get WASDFV key's so I can check out what I design, in the game, without having to actually play the game.

Axe,

Unity & Course Forge allow you to roam your layout using the WASD keys (or other mapped keys on the keyboard). You don't fire up PG (as we are unable at the moment to push the designs to the game) but you can roam your plot and view holes from any angle you wish.

;)

#31 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:53 PM

Now mind you I'm not going to look at this until and if we get WASDFV key's so I can check out what I design, in the game, without having to actually play the game.

Axe,

Unity & Course Forge allow you to roam your layout using the WASD keys (or other mapped keys on the keyboard). You don't fire up PG (as we are unable at the moment to push the designs to the game) but you can roam your plot and view holes from any angle you wish.

;)

Right. And until WE can and have the cameras to go over every inch of the course IN THE GAME when we want to, I am not interested.

I make a bunker, I will go and check it out IN THE GAME as soon as I'm done, make corrections if necessary, then move to the next one.. I will not design an entire 18 hole course in Unity/CF THEN go back over it inch by inch IN THE GAME.. I finish each thing before I move to the next..

I'm not putting down PG, this is just my style of designing and not every one else's and that's ok, I'm just speaking for myself..  Anyone else who want's to design now, more power to them.. I love it..

This is just my Personal preference.. ;)

When  and if PG gets to that point, I may look at it until then I can still design for TW's 08, so I'm happy...

It's all good Daz and thanks m8.. :)

Peace

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#32 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:52 AM

I think what they are saying is we have to wait for a finished version of CF. Sure, you can play around with Unity, but until CF is released consider it a hobby that may in the end be unfruitful (but you'll learn Unity, and that will be useful in the future). Sorry...I wish I had that much free time (especially with the frequent changes in Unity versions I've heard of). I'll just have to wait for CF to develop a real course (or maybe first the Pastures at Huasna). ;)

Keep swinging!

#33 TheOtherRick

TheOtherRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

Even if someone just pinned this... !. download this. 2 download that. 3 download this..  That's it. Tuts to come later..

Now mind you I'm not going to look at this until and if we get WASDFV key's so I can check out what I design, in the game, without having to actually play the game. That's just me. but the first thing I was going to do was download unity and I downloaded unity 5 instead, then found out thats not the right one (its not supported). 

I also downloaded CF and the library but couldn't get the lib to download, got some error I think either because I didn't have Unity loaded or because it was in .rar file...

Anyway, point is, I was already turned off then remembered I was waiting for some better cam key's so just said forget it.

I understand I don't want it handed to me on a silver platter and when I am serious about it, I will figure it out but if someone just pinned the first few things you need to download and in what order, it might be very helpful to those who want to give it a try.. ;)

Again, Don't worry about me, when the time comes I will figure it all out, if I want to.. But just to give folks a couple of things they need to download just to get what they need to start would be helpful.. Tuts I agree will come much later on..

I am interested in getting into course creation and Axe360 is dead on point here. I have no clue where to start with what. A pinned thread about what a course designer needs and where to get what he/she needs would just make too much sense. Does the free version of Unity 5 suffice? Does Unity simply build the land and CF makes it into a playable course? Is CF just a Unity plug-in? I am truly clueless and a pinned thread would clear these questions up as well as spark interest with others.

Ye Olde Computing Machine
CPU - Intel i5-8600K Six Core @ 3.60 GHz
MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
OS - Windows 10 Home  (64-bit)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

#34 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

I don't think there is anything to pin at the moment.

All that I know is that a small part of Unity will need

to be learned in order to design a course with CF.

It just seemed prudent to go ahead and learn

and be comfortable with the basics so as not to

be overwhelmed by having to learn CF and Unity

together.

I downloaded Unity version 4.5.5f1

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#35 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

I don't think there is anything to pin at the moment.

All that I know is that a small part of Unity will need

to be learned in order to design a course with CF.

It just seemed prudent to go ahead and learn

and be comfortable with the basics so as not to

be overwhelmed by having to learn CF and Unity

together.

I downloaded Unity version 4.5.5f1

I forgot that you don't have access to the CF yet.. I do..

It sounds simple in that you only need like 3 things to get started. Unity, CF and CF libs pack..

So pin something that say's hey, you need Unity and vers. number. CF and CF libs pack.

Also could include the links to those 3 things, so it's all in one spot..

Then of course, it's up to you to learn it.. Then you can surf around to find out things, that's just a give. But it's not asking to much to pin the items needed...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#36 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:10 PM

Does the free version of Unity 5 suffice?

Yes, but Unity 5 is not supported by CF yet, it only just came out. Earlier versions are. The free versions do suffice, Unity 5 free will no doubt be added.

Does Unity simply build the land and CF makes it into a playable course?

Basically, yes

Is CF just a Unity plug-in?

Yes. You can't run CF without having Unity installed.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#37 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:12 PM

Course Forge is a Unity plugin and Unity is easy to work with, if I can do it so can anyone else. I'm don't have the brightest bulb anymore so it's not hard and there are so many tutorials out there (Esp on YouTube) that there is no excuse for anyone of you not to be able to build a course.

EDIT... Oops Kaboom beat me to it..lol

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#38 TheOtherRick

TheOtherRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

K11...thank you sir for the answers I sought. I could not quote your post because your entire post was an edited version of a quote from me. Now here are the three $64,000.00 questions...

1. Can I still download the older, compatible version of Unity (4.5 I believe it is), or am I doomed to Unity 5 and waiting for CF compatibility?
  2. If the compatible version is still available, can I get the CF plugin?
  3. If I can get the CF plugin, can I assume that the CF Libs are also available?

Ye Olde Computing Machine
CPU - Intel i5-8600K Six Core @ 3.60 GHz
MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
OS - Windows 10 Home  (64-bit)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

#39 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

See, so a simple 1,2.3 pinned topic could solve all these questions...

What happens TheOtherRick is you will get an answer to your very basic but much needed questions but others will have to be lucky enough to stumble upon them, here..

There are folks out here that could have already done this since they already figured it out.. Yeah, maybe they want us to figure that out too but really, it's not like anyone would be giving up some big secret.. When I decide to try my hand, I will figure it out and if there has been no pinned thread by then, I will pin one to help others get started...

Trouble is, I may never do it.. lol

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#40 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

I forgot that you don't have access to the CF yet.. I do..

It sounds simple in that you only need like 3 things to get started. Unity, CF and CF libs pack..

So pin something that say's hey, you need Unity and vers. number. CF and CF libs pack.

Also could include the links to those 3 things, so it's all in one spot..

Then of course, it's up to you to learn it.. Then you can surf around to find out things, that's just a give. But it's not asking to much to pin the items needed...

I forgot that you do have access to CF. 

But can I assume that you cannot use the version you have?

I would be pulling my hair out in frustration if that's the case.

I have only seen CF in action through K11s' and Mikes' videos

and like many I must be patient until release. Wish I could help

but unfortunately I'm pinned myself.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users