Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

Here just pin this..

TO GET STARTED DESIGNING COURSES:

Download first _______________. Insert Link.

Download this next___________ Insert Link.

Now Download this__________ Insert Link..

Thanks for pinning this. Oops forgot to say please.. Maybe name the Topic.. Course Design.. ;)

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#42 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

TheOtherRick, please don't "sir" me or you will suffer the same fate as the TheOriginalRick. Well, he's a bit better now, at least, but he still is walking funny. I do not smear emojis into my posts, so please make rome for some drollery in my previous sentence.

1. Can I still download the older, compatible version of Unity (4.5 I believe it is), or am I doomed to Unity 5 and waiting for CF compatibility

You can download an older (free) version, 4.5 or 4.6 - Unity has a link to older versions on its dl page.

2. If the compatible version is still available, can I get the CF plugin?

CF is the IP of PP and access is restricted. You will either get it by invitation through them, like me and some others, or by waiting for its release, about which I do not have an ETA

3. If I can get the CF plugin, can I assume that the CF Libs are also available?

Not integrated into CF proper - since they come in the format of Unity assets, but you will get download links for additional tree packages, water etc.

That would be 192'000 $, please.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#43 TheOtherRick

TheOtherRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

TheOtherRick, please don't "sir" me or you will suffer the same fate as the TheOriginalRick. Well, he's a bit better now, at least, but he still is walking funny. I do not smear emojis into my posts, so please make rome for some drollery in my previous sentence.

THIS AREA CONTAINED AN EDITED QUOTE FROM TheOtherRick THAT HAD ANSWERS FROM Kablammo11

That would be 192'000 $, please.

Check is in the mail. <insert deletable emoticon here> I shall download the free version of 4.6 and wait to upgrade when CF becomes compatible with the latest rendition. Perhaps posting quality work in this forum will entice an invite to try CF from the powers that be. Thus begins my journey into novice golf course architecture. Thank you for your replies K11. <insert additional deletable emoticon here>

Ye Olde Computing Machine
CPU - Intel i5-8600K Six Core @ 3.60 GHz
MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
OS - Windows 10 Home  (64-bit)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

#44 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

Good luck to you, sir!

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#45 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

I have both Unity v4 and v5 installed, and no CF. Creating something and posting it didn't help me any Rick.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#46 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

You can download older versions of unity from their website.

#47 TheOtherRick

TheOtherRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:50 PM

You can download older versions of unity from their website.

I did exactly that. Thanks.

MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4

#48 TheOtherRick

TheOtherRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:17 AM

Ok...Unity 4.6 is now installed on The Dinosaur (my computer). Just a matter of learning how to use it. Piece of cake, right? But here's my next question.

I am assuming that once I do get my hands on CF, all I will use it for is placing the course on the terrain I have built with Unity. Bunker, fairway, tee box, and green splines would be added with GF to lay out the course. Pin positions, tee positions, OB boundaries, etc., ... all coming from CF. Trees, rocks, grasses, bushes, benches, buildings, etc., ... all done with Unity. Am I correct in those assumptions?

And if I am correct with the above assumptions, terrain textures really only matter where actual course items do not exist. Forest floors, water, heavy rough, and such. If I go ahead and make fairways, greens, and bunkers...CF will just "paint" over them? When I "paint" textures on the terrain, is that "paint" just adding a layer by covering the base texture, or is it replacing the underlying texture. What NoPutt did in his video brings that question out. I will be laying a course map as my initial texture, just as he did.

MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4

#49 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

Your preliminary assumptions are correct. 

CF meshes with CF textures will "hover" 15 cm above your Unity terrain texture. A bit like a band aid (CF) stuck to your skin (Unity terrain). If you draw CF meshes, they will not erase the underlying texture.

Your Unity terrain should not be larger than 2000 by 2000 meters. Your terrain or height map resolution should be set to 2049. All this and a lot more is already covered in many threads in the CF section. I urge you to read up on these (if you haven't already) to avoid running into problems.

http://www.perfectparallel.com/topic/1333-unity-questionsanswers-for-beginners/

http://www.perfectparallel.com/topic/1532-how-to-do-a-course-layout-in-photoshop/

http://www.perfectparallel.com/topic/1394-my-first-experience-with-unity-dont-laugh-well-yeah-you-can-laugh/

• TheOtherRick likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#50 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

When I "paint" textures on the terrain, is that "paint" just adding a layer by covering the base texture, or is it replacing the underlying texture. What NoPutt did in his video brings that question out. I will be laying a course map as my initial texture, just as he did.

The textures you paint onto your terrain are blended with your course map, although you can (and most likely will) paint in higher strengths to completely obliterate your course map.

For performance reasons, your course map will be shown without any paint in the distance (beyond the "Base map dist". So if your course map is a line drawing to help you layout features, later it should be changed to mimic the coloring of the painted areas so there is a nice transition between the painted areas and it.

#51 TheOtherRick

TheOtherRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:01 PM

@ Kablammo11 - Thank you for the reply and the suggested reading. I will be checking those threads ASAP.

@ shimonko - My plan was to "paint" over the entire course map with whatever base texture that area of the map would require (heavy rough, pine straw, weedy undergrowth, dirt, etc.). We can revisit this when I start posting about my project.

And to that effect, I am going to be starting a thread that deals with my first Unity Golf Course Design. Any and all questions I have as I make this journey will be posted there. I am sure many will arise. Thanks to all who helped me get started here.

V/R,

TheOtherRick

MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users