#41 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:28 AM

all I was saying is if someone can use it and would do the work for you, it would go towards the cost of GM, so why your telling me you wouldn`t abuse that courtesy, I have no idea what your talking about, of course what you do is entirely up to you.

#42 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

The courtesy is that someone else owns the license and PC I use it on. It's nice enough they allow me to use it for purposes not related to the work I do for them.

• TheBigYin519 likes this

#43 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:40 PM

Joe, do the LIDAR files need to meet certain specifications to work in Global Mapper?

#44 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

I've followed Joe's instructions. Everything is good until I open the file in Wilbur. The image displays subdued browns and tans, nothing like the more vivid colors in the video. Then, after I've saved it as a PNG Surface file, the image seems to be completely blank when I open it in Photoshop. See screenshot.  Any ideas what I did wrong? http://i.imgur.com/iJRCovI.png

#45 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:29 PM

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#46 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

OK.  Thanks, Joe.  You're right about zooming out to see the image better.  I do see it better, but it doesn't have the vivid colors of your example in the video.  Then, as I said, when I open the surface file in Photoshop, it all goes white.  Thanks again.

#47 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:39 AM

Good news.  I reached the end of video #2 successfully.  I think my problem earlier was the quality of the .las files.  I'm not even sure where I found them.  This time, I found better files to use. 

#48 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:46 AM

...and success! Made it to the end of the 3rd video without any problems, except for not having CourseForge (obviously).  Good tutorials, Joe.  The only problem area (for me) was finding and downloading .las files.  Otherwise, I learned a lot from the tutorials.  Thanks.

• shimonko likes this

#49 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

Yeah so sorry about not getting back as I was very busy with a wake to go to that night and a funeral yesterday for my step daughters grandma. I seen your image and yeah it didn't look good.

I'll see if I can make another video of the process I use to get the right lidar tiles from the lidar site I have and then everyone can have access to the site. Would be nice if everyone shared lidar file sites so more people can build quality real courses. With tons of golf courses per state why would anyone keep all the stuff to themselves? That would be a bit piggish if you ask me.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#50 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

I agree it would be helpful to have a list of sites.  That part of the process is still frustrating at times.  Other than that, Joe, the video tutorials were a big help.  Even entertaining at times.  :P

#51 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

I'll see if I can make another video of the process I use to get the right lidar tiles from the lidar site I have and then everyone can have access to the site. Would be nice if everyone shared lidar file sites so more people can build quality real courses. With tons of golf courses per state why would anyone keep all the stuff to themselves? That would be a bit piggish if you ask me.

I can't imagine anyone not sharing elevation data sites--I've seen no evidence of that over the last 18 months I've been here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users