102 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Curious if the developers have decided on this yet?  Also, will there be some variety of adjustments people can make such as lowering their distances to mimic amateur, women's, or senior distances?  

When course forge is released, I'm guessing this will be a vital piece of information to already have available since designers will need to know where to place hazards etc...

#2 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

Definitely something that lacked in links. Should be there. It certainly seems easy enough

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

Because our physics are real time distance is determined by ball speed launch angle and spin. I guess we could allow users to change the default values below tour level for each club

#4 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

A simple question of curiousity by Bortimous. A simple straight forward answer by Andrew.

Take a moment though to think about the question and the answer, I did and I think it provides me some insight into the game. Insights, I continue to find troublesome. Sounds to me that the game plan design has been geared  for fully skilled, PGA Tour type players. Not that the vast majority of players would be against that concept becasue like me, that is how most of us play our golf games, as a fully skilled and attributed player.

Sounds to me like no consideration or plan has been given to a career mode, as some players like that way, progressing from a hack to amateur to semi pro level, learning course management due to your limited skills. Just as not everyone wants to play just the PGA Tour, there are woman out there who would love to play the LPGA Tour, with real LPGA skills and distances on LPGA type courses. How about those seniors among us, who may wish to play a round identical to how we play in real life.

I realize what I believe the developers had in mind when starting this project, a real life simulation of a golf game, expanding on what they saw lacking in other golf games, what they believed should be in a top flight game. I applaud them for that, I'm of a like mind but, don't get me wrong, I want this game to succeed as badly as each of you, I just don't want them to lose sight that not everyone has the same belief, we all desire different game play aspects, options on how to play the game. I also believe incorporating all these different game play options may not be as easy as it sounds, especially since this simple question of curiousity coud change the entire game design developmental plan and schedule should these options be incorporated.

I would hate to see a top flight, state of the art game developed that some find inferior, just like all that have come before it because it's lacking in game play options.

#5 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the reply Andrew. For the click swing, have you guys decided on those distances? To some extent wouldn't those have to have some kind of default number for a perfect strike?

#6 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

The Spirit of Maverick... I wouldn't suggest no consideration has been given, just none has been stated as clear as the reply Andrew made above.

What you ask has been stated in other threads, and I dare say, may very well become a feature that may or may not be included in the game - or possibly something to add in an expansion or later release. A career mode is certainly something that would be an ideal addition to the game, but wouldn't you want to be able to include a list of named players you would actively compete against in the mode.. the list of requests can be endless.

I'm wondering if we're likely to see a Golf game that can be added to, expanded upon with additional official releases. Maybe there could be a way to create or edit further changes ourselves, to design and expand upon what is included. Like you, I would hate to see a top flight state of the art game lack the touches we all seek, but it is listening to the ideas we put forward.. maybe it hasn't been as forthcoming in what actually IS in the game though..

#7 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

This may have been asked before , but will this game have real courses to play or  just the ones that  are made up?

#8 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

On release... no-one has quite told us yet...

There will obviously be many real courses created though, and who knows how many fictional ones too! So it's a yes to your question, I guess..

#9 hoosiermizuno

hoosiermizuno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

100% agree that having the optional to manually adjust the club distances on 3click or other swing modes would be a huge plus. i would think that many would like to input thier own personal distances and play courses as if they were hitting instead of hitting pga distances. a max 6 iron on Links may be 180, while a user may want that to be their personal distance of 165.

I think it would be fun to change club distances to that of yourself if you are a short hitter and then play that courses up tees. my distances are pretty similar to better players, but even guys on tour have distances all over the board with certain irons. the more adjustability and customiztion the better in my opinion.

• IanD likes this

#10 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

here is a post MJ made yesterday

We'll be creating course content too Axe and our aim is to have loads of people competing online together in tournaments if they so wish which simply isn't possible if you just play peer to peer.

Some people seem to like to be force fed what other people think they want but that's not our aim. I've seen what online communities can accomplish when given the tools and trust me, it's usually WAY more fun for everyone involved. 

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#11 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Andrew. For the click swing, have you guys decided on those distances? To some extent wouldn't those have to have some kind of default number for a perfect strike?

I'm wondring if the Perfect Golf swingmeter (especially the 4 click one) may go beyond anything we have been used to in the past. Instead of us specifying in game settings that our 5 iron goes 185, 6 iron 175, 7 iron 160 etc. and then setting power at a percentage of that maximum via the swingmeter, whether Perfect Golf will instead have each club with a standard loft angle applied and then dependant on the characteristics Andrew related to - ball speed, launch angle and spin - determines how your ball flies and how far it goes.

I think this would benefit from folks being able to 'tone down' the settings as we don't all hit the ball like Tour Pro's, so maybe if a parameter to reduce the stock in game maximum ball speed using a slider (from say 80% - 100% of standard ball speed) players could fine tune the game to replicate their own real life game. Then when playing online, you may see someone hitting a 6 iron, but you have no idea how much power (in comparison to stock Tour Pro setting) he imparts at full speed and it may not be the same as yourself, so it doesn't guarantee that if you also hit 6 iron it will end up in the same place.

From my playing of Links online, it was always easy to see an opponent hit a 12/6 snap with a 6 iron and it hit the green, so normally you would follow suit and do the same. The swingmeter displayed the maximum yardage of the club in use even when your opponent was playing his shot, so it was a relatively easy task to see how you would need to hit your shot.

What I have described above would make this part of the game a little more tricky, as there is no guarantee your opponent has his clubs set up like you have yours. So you see your opponent 12/6 his 6 iron and hit the green, you follow suit and go through the back of the green. All because your opponent has settings applied at less than 100% for all his clubs but you don't.

As they have all the data from Trackman, I'm thinking it might not be so far fetched as it sounds. It would certainly add to the difficulty levels in perfecting a click swing, something which other golf games have always struggled with IMO as it was never long before folks were shooting low 50's scratch in JN, TW, Links etc.

I'm sure in time, as the game evolves and we get to see more of what they are working on, we will start to get a better understanding of how the swing mechanic and club specifications will be applied. I for one look forward to it.

;)

#12 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

I think we have to be careful because after all, this is a game and we could find ourselves asking for drinking fountains that give us Real water...

There are a lot of details that have to go into the game already, we need to keep our eye on the ball and not get crazy... B)

• SJude likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#13 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

As AJ said our physics is based around real world data so it would be pretty easy for us to dial in any players club head speed and launch angle, spin rate etc to give a realistic result.

This approach does the complete opposite of limiting us, what it does in fact is enable any level of player imaginable to play with realistic physics in PerfectGolf.

#14 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

I should have phrased my question more in terms of clubhead speed. When using a click based swing, each club seens like it would have a clubhead speed assigned to it, and all of the over or under swings for that club would be proportional to that assigned value. So what have the developers used for these values?

#15 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

The club distances should be based on the top of the tour level and not average. We should be able to set up a player with Bubba or Dustin distances but there should be some penalty for doing so apart from overswinging the swing meter. 

Something like the more club distance you choose for your player in the initial setup, the more sensitive the swing meter becomes. So if you're a shaking clicker, you better dial down on the distances.

It's usually the tour players in the bottom half of the distance stats that are excellent short iron players meaning you have to play around with the distances to find what works best for you and not just max everything out. :) 

• Davefevs likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#16 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

I think we have to be careful because after all, this is a game and we could find ourselves asking for drinking fountains that give us Real water...

Speaking for TS only, I don't think it would be fair if  you could set your club to a certain max distance, then you could just take a 100% swing every time and no how far the ball would probably go... It's all about adjusting your swing to the club you choose and using only the clubs you have in your bag from the start of the round.

Others may be able to explain better, what I am talking about but I think clubs should be whatever the Pro's use, I don't want to be able to just swing full speed every time, I want to have to adjust my swing to the distance to the pins with the club I have in my bag. Does that make sense?

Of course this is speaking for the Pro Tours, now if you want something different for friendly competitions I guess that's ok but again, are we asking to much?

There are a lot of details that have to go into the game already, we need to keep our eye on the ball and not get crazy... B)

I thought it was going to be more a golf simulation, rather than a game.

Not sure where you're going with the drinking fountains comment.

I don't think we're talking of setting a maximum distance to clubs, more a baseline CHS for clubs akin to the top PGA pro's. Hit in excess of this and the ball will go further. Hit less and the ball will not go as far. We're not talking about capping clubs to a maximum yardage. Like you say, that would everything too predictable.

It seems that PP have this in hand, as MJ says, the CHS for clubs can be dialled to even mirror your own real life stats, which i think is great, as while there are some folks out there who want to hit it like Bubba and DJ there will be those who want to dial things back a touch and have Perfect Golf try to replicate their own game.

;)

#17 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

It is interesting to consider what kind of golfer we will be simulating in PG.  In Links 2003 (although true for any golf sim I suppose), it seems to me the default player's ball flight characteristics are derived from one of the following:

1. ONE particular player's observed/measured numbers for each club

2. An average or some kind of combination of different player's numbers

3. Arbitrarily assigned values

On tour there's probably a 30-35 yard range of driver carry distances from the shortest to longest hitters.  There are also ranges of launch angles, spin, etc...  Each has every club in the bag fit to their particular characteristics as well.

Let's say there are 175 players (total guess) represented in all of the Trackman/ballflight data collected. What kind of player will be represented in the game? Will there be several different ani's/characters offered to choose from?

Are we hitting it like Bubba Watson, Corey Pavin, or Bubba Pavin? haha

If I'm misunderstanding something about the application of the data, I would love to learn more. 

#18 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

i think online play should be equal if u are going to have competitions, thats what ruined tiger woods online. u would go on hoping for a fun game then they other guy hits the green from 420 yards, 100 yards ahead of you.

#19 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

I've no idea of how you suggest the other guy outdrove you by 100yds in TW is unequal, not having played it to perhaps that extent. If someone has the ability to over-drive and hit a perfect swing, then I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone be completely limited.

If the ability to customise your clubs enables those who put the time in practising, to hit better shots that suit their aims, then I'm all for it. If that means having a set of perhaps 15-20 clubs that have 5-6 customised angles, or special clubs, then so be it. However, once any game is started, all golfers will be required to choose their 14 clubs for that particular course, based on what they feel are the clubs they need.

With the real world of golf allowing so many club variations, providing they fall within the boundaries of the event, no Competition is ever equal. Just look at the putters and variations of those clubs alone. Who's to say what design is better, except the guy using the club.

#20 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

In the TW's PC Series (not TWO), after you built your golfer up to pro, there was a basic distance that he/she could hit the ball and using different clubs, shafts etc would allow a few yards difference, more or less.. However, when you were in an online tournament, all distances/power was set to 75% for ALL golfers.. But there were still a few yards difference for types of clubs, shafts etc. but not 50yds difference, most drivers would hit around the 250yd mark depending on the wind...

Also, you would be penalized if you mishit the ball..  This basically left you to use course management and skill, so no huge advantage over others...  Was that the best way to handle it? You tell me...We will see..

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users