#41 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

All I want is a playable golf game.  I hope there are several difficulty levels as I have never competed above the level of Pro in links or the intermediate level in TW.  Above those levels I am simple to inaccurate at hitting bottom snap to compete.  If not many players will be left high and dry.  

I guess we should ask the question to what expertise level of player is PG being designed for?

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#42 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Wow, ask for suggestions and get some great ones! Many thanks for putting some ideas forward.

Golf is a game and it's fun, why change a winning formula? That's why we don't want anything unrealistic in PerfectGolf by design at least.

The other thing to remember is that different courses in the real game suit different types of player so if we do decide to go down some sort of attribute distribution system, it won't be easy to change to suit the course or conditions, any change to your original distribution would take some time. Dustin Johnson's power for example doesn't give him any advantage on many courses just like Luke Donald's short game prowess is negated by certain courses types.

I think in the next physics build we'll be looking to incorporate some higher than 100% sliders for people wanting to experiment with different trajectories and distances

#43 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

I guess we should ask the question to what expertise level of player is PG being designed for?

I think it should be fun for all levels of player from the casual to the extreme! We're certainly not targeting any particular type of player.

• DennisHarris likes this

#44 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

So... no future add-ons such as

• Perfect Player Adjuster
  • Perfect Club Creator
  • Perfect Swing

:P

#45 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

...so if we do decide to go down some sort of attribute distribution system...

Blammo senses tingling... must... inter...vene.....   I spontaneously dislike the sequence of words "attribute distribution system". Kindly abstain from adding RPG elements. Same sticks, same balls, same conditions... that'll do. Keep it simple! Important attributes like focus, imagination, ambition, perseverance and commitment will be provided by the player base. No need to complicate your own job with artificial frills. Less is more.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#46 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

Blammo senses tingling... must... inter...vene.....   I spontaneously dislike the sequence of words "attribute distribution system". Kindly abstain from adding RPG elements. Same sticks, same balls, same conditions... that'll do. Keep it simple! Important attributes like focus, imagination, ambition, perseverance and commitment will be provided by the player base. No need to complicate your own job with artificial frills. Less is more.

There well may be a place for both - you can play the way you like to play and other people who do like some sort of career progression with RPG elements can have their fun too. It would be my preference to play against people who I didn't know exactly how far their drive was going to carry - variety is the spice and no other sport supports as much variety as golf, why artificially limit that?

#47 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

There well may be a place for both - you can play the way you like to play and other people who do like some sort of career progression with RPG elements can have their fun too. It would be my preference to play against people who I didn't know exactly how far their drive was going to carry - variety is the spice and no other sport supports as much variety as golf, why artificially limit that?

Can't wait for special gloves with +10% distance to show up in the pro shop. In every TW game so far, I had to work my way up, starting as a noob, playing dozens of fake tourneys against really lame AI competitors (and winning by at least 15 shots) to slowly climb my way up to the top level. They wouldn't even let me play from the black tees at the start, no, I had to play from the junior tees. If you really are going to include a career mode, please try and figure out something....  I don't know... less predictable and more creative. And at least promise me you won't ask me to go through this ordeal of sadistically orchestrated mediocrity again in PG, so that my first tee shot on the first hole on the first day of PG can be played with pro gear at pro distances from the pro tees, if so I choose (And I will).

Oh, and no background stories or adventure tales or any somesuch nonsense. And no caddies, baggervanceing my mind into a pulp with trivias. I beg you!

• Tigers Agent likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#48 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

So now you're saying there is a possibility of players adding distance and accuracy through purchasing magic gloves, shirts, trousers, balls etc.

I though AJ had previously replied on this subject matter and stated these elements would definitely not be seen in Perfect Golf. Adding nonsense like this takes the simulation we were led to believe we were getting and turning it in to an arcade golf game.

Any chance some clarification please?

#49 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

The wry smile appears.. and the sound of the sniggering hound is heard.. muffled by the hand cupping the mouth..

Daz, does Mike not suggest in his actual words, there is a chance there may be more options rather than less? Having a simulation and a form of career mode doesn't necessarily mean arcade game.

#50 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

The wry smile appears.. and the sound of the sniggering hound is heard.. muffled by the hand cupping the mouth..

Daz, does Mike not suggest in his actual words, there is a chance there may be more options rather than less? Having a simulation and a form of career mode doesn't necessarily mean arcade game.

I'm all for career mode and added options that may bring.

What I'm hoping not to see is the shirts, hats, trousers, shoes, balls that give the player added increases to certain stats, which are totally unrealistic and arcade IMO.

• Keith likes this

#51 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hypothetically speaking. I am not a rich man. I own one set of very expensive golf clubs. IRL that set of clubs can last a lifetime.

I will use that set of clubs on every course I play.  yes.. keep it simple. offline do as you wish. Online? go back to TW08 and before when

we all had the same attributes. The course and conditions should dictate how difficult the game we play. 

• axe360 likes this

#52 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

It is nice to hear PP are taking a very open approach to the game, of course 'fun' is subjective and one can only define 'fun' for oneself, one cannot define what is fun on another persons behalf as that would be tyrannical. So it is clear that the only way we may ensure that we appeal to everybodys sense of 'fun' is to provide as many outlets as possible.

It seems the team here understand that concept well - thank goodness.

#53 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

From my point of view I want to be able to play like a tour pro on PG. however if PG can give us the flexibility to set ourselves up with individual 'swings', I.e. hit a high draw as default, that would be great. Whether that is achieved by setting up your feet, ball to feet, plane, shafts etc, or by specifying in the GUI with sliders, I don't really mind. What it should mean is that hitting non-default shaped shots should be less forgiving.

Maybe it's the laziness of me in Links, but it is too easy to click the quick-draw (McGraw!!) and quick-fade buttons on click. Finding the better way to do this is what will make this game the ultimate simulation. Having said that we shouldn't penalise those players who wouldn't understand what various things like ball position, club face open etc do to the shot either.

Options is what we want!!

#54 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:34 AM

I think it's safe to say if there were any kind of player attribute system in the game, there would be an option to NOT do that.  I'm not too worried about that.

I like to think of the possibilities to recreate distance differences among stock players in the game.  Again, please make the overswing meter more usable.  It is fun AND realistic to not hit the same distance off the tee.

BTW my earlier guess of 20-25 yards difference of avg driving distance on the tour was a bit off hehe.  Currently there is a 36 yd difference from top to bottom in average driving distance on the tour.  Last year at the end of the season it was 46 yards!

#55 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

I'm all for career mode and added options that may bring.

What I'm hoping not to see is the shirts, hats, trousers, shoes, balls that give the player added increases to certain stats, which are totally unrealistic and arcade IMO.

Good to hear Daz, lol.

Like you, I'm not a personal lover of those things and still cannot see anywhere Mike has suggested those things. Using words like RPG, doesn't necessarily mean the concept is to buy equipment though.. it could simply be a way to develop the Golfer.

For Example ; Some form of rewarding a player who chooses to play this mode, after perhaps the Golfer reaches the end of each season he ages. This could involve using the seasons experience points accummulated, in any manner of improving attributes for the following season. Bearing in mind, some attributes if not maintained, may drop.

In the real life, this is a form of going back to the Driving Range or Gym to improve your own specific areas. It's not too far away from a RPG element in how you're Golfer has the ability to adjust things but not totally change everything. That could be where the decisions made at the Golfer creation are more important.

As we suggest though, good to have options...

• greenOak likes this

#56 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

If I may add something more, perhaps in line of what Mike was thinking when he stated ;

I like this idea, as I've stated above in how having Golfer attributes can make this work.

By having different Golfer Attributes,  none of this will see the exact same shot from the tee or any part of the course. Putting may be something totally different, but the only usual benefit gained in watching another golfer putting, is seeing the break on a roll toward the cup. Knowing how hard to hit the putt isn't something that should become easier for the person closer to the hole, because you watched another golfer. On many golf games, we often gain benefits in this way seeing how to recreate the same shot from the previous golfer.

Perhaps a change from the above, still keeping in mind what Mike stated, is to remove the visuals of the shot details from other golfers. Maybe call it Tournament Mode, where no-one sees anything but the golfer swing and the result. No meters are displayed or power bars, therefore you may only gain a visual in how your opponent used a full swing or a three quarter..  but no specific marks on the swingometer.

I only wanted to add this extra comment to ensure those reading understood there may be many ways to introduce something they don't like, mainly because of the way they feel it's being introduced.

• greenOak likes this

#57 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

So now you're saying there is a possibility of players adding distance and accuracy through purchasing magic gloves, shirts, trousers, balls etc.

Easy there, Daz: In all due fairness, and assuming this is directed at MJ, he really never-ever said that. I made this quip about magic gloves in my post just to illustrate my unease of what a very poor attribute system might end up as -  and I did not base it on any official statement made by those in the know. No way they are ever going down that path - they may be completely incapable of publishing Mac formatted apps, but they most certainly are not afflicted by poor judgment.

@IanD: "season experience points accumulated"... "to improve attributes"...? Really? Bad dog, Muttley! Bad Dog!

If that happens, somebody kindly add an "OFF" switch when the game ships, I'll have none of that!

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#58 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

That's right I didn't say that!

I do however wonder why everyone in real life doesn't use the same clubs  and equipment though? :rolleyes:  - ideas on a postcard to Blue Peter, London, HYU7UH6

#59 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

For someone who has used trackman out in the field I see where everyone is coming from. My college college team was hooked up to it outdoors and when we were done the statistics were incredible. Low ball hitters, high ball hitters, players who hit the draw or fade, and different spin rates.

What I really took out of this was how certain guys on the team are naturally better at certain golf courses and even particular holes with specific pin positions. It would be great to see this in the game because it would put emphasis on course management, something that has been limited in almost every golf game ever made.

In addition I am also very curious to see how things will be handled around the green. There are endless options in real golf so hopefully this can be replicated in the game. I know it is a lot to ask for, but if you don't ask for it you'll never have any chance at getting it
  • mjhamilton113 likes this

#60 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

That's right I didn't say that!

I do however wonder why everyone in real life doesn't use the same clubs  and equipment though? :rolleyes:  - ideas on a postcard to Blue Peter, London, HYU7UH6

My apologies.

I wasn't getting at folks not being able to use various clubsets, just don't want the goofy power-ups that some games offer. As for why folks don't all use the same clubs IRL, as far as the Pro's go, it's all about the money - isn't that right Mr McIlroy, lol.

But, the interpretation of a comment like 'career progression with RPG elements' can easily be taken for including clothing/equiment that offers boosts to a players attributes as he levels up.

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users