Photo

Is This Still Planning on being Released before the End of 2013?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 ERASERhead1

ERASERhead1

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

So... from what we've seen so far coupled with the responses it looks like we should NOT be expecting this to be released 4 months from now at the latest.

However, I still haven't seen an 'official' answer to the question, so I guess there's hope.

It may be in their best interest to update the site then if that release date is getting pushed back.

#22 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:12 AM

Sounds like a plan yes... when would you like them to change it to..?

:P

#23 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

IMO there is no way on God's green earth that we will see a full game released before the end of the year.

We'll be lucky to have a working BETA of Course Forge by then at this rate, lol.

The original plan was always to have a released game by mid 2014, but I'm thinking we might even see that slip back.

I tend to agree with Daz, but a lot will depend upon what people consider a full/finished game to be. I'm sure the plan is to keep updating and adding to the basic engine over a period of many years, so what is initially released may not in many people's opinions BE a 'finished' game. PP have already said that many features that I would consider necessary to think of it as a full game have not even been decided yet, so I think my personal idea of the full game is still a good two or three years away. I think the first release is going to be more along the lines of Custom Play Golf than of TW or Links in its depth, and will only offer the bare minimum required to play an online game. I would imagine that even the time needed to put in place a stable online environment allowing careers and country clubs will itself take many months of work, and I think people expecting to be able to play this by the end of the year are probably dreaming. I think the end of next year may be more realistic.

I do hope that the updating of Perfect Golf is primarily financed by the online subscription method though, as over time, this will encourage people to get involved, rather than feel like they are being ripped off -  as with going down the Tiger Woods road and having to re-buy the same game year after year with only cosmetic improvements added. I think the perception of the company will be just as important as the game in defining its ultimate success, and is why many of us would like to see more effort spent on good communication and not just on game production, to keep the enthusiasm and drive needed, within the community.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#24 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

However, I still haven't seen an 'official' answer to the question, so I guess there's hope.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers - (314)

BY EMILY DICKINSON

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#25 ERASERhead1

ERASERhead1

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Sounds like a plan yes... when would you like them to change it to..?

:P

I wouldn't want to see this turn into another DayZ standalone is all I'm saying.

Oh, and the poem is pretty.

"Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane." Morgan Freeman. Shawshank Redemption - 1994.

#26 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

We are pushing as hard as we can.

• Unique and WayneH like this

#27 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I can bulk up and help fella's... you'd know I was in the room... I'd be quiet though... :P  just a few rustling crisp packets..

#28 Kelson

Kelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Something Mike said earlier in this thread makes perfect sense to me:

The downside of having a large publisher involved is that it's most likely you would lose a lot of control over the game and end up with some watered down version of the original concept, so sometimes it pays to be patient in order for us to develop the game that you guys want to play.

I used to work for EA Mythic, and I saw first-hand how a large company like EA can step in and totally destroy the original concept of a game. So I am being patient, and waiting on a product that the developers believe in.

• Carnoustie and Tazz like this

#29 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Something Mike said earlier in this thread makes perfect sense to me:

I used to work for EA Mythic, and I saw first-hand how a large company like EA can step in and totally destroy the original concept of a game. So I am being patient, and waiting on a product that the developers believe in.

I saw this happen with Links 2K3.  I was on the Beta testing team and concentrated on my love, the AI Players.  They had them so good that I wrote them saying you could not tell the difference between an AI Player playing against you or if it was an IRL Player.

Then MS demanded that the game be released early and the programmers had to back up two or three versions to get to one that was fairly bug free for the release and it destroyed many of the AI PLayer improvements.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#30 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Time needed is always the most frustrating thing about any development. For a small team it is a bigger problem, but I agree that it is the very fact that it is being produced by a small team of 'golfies' that also gives it the best chance of being what we all hope it will be. :) 

#31 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

Agree with Lez.

If this project was in the hands of EA, we would be seeing a release in the next few weeks, with bugs a plenty and loads of content missing or not working as it should.

Thank heavens for small mercies.

;)

#32 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

They probably underestimated the workload and the complexity of their own project, which is very much a staple feature of software development. Expect deadlines to keep sliding into ever more distant futures.

Also, right now, they are absorbed by their unspecified East Lake-Fedexcup-thing, which means that the game and the Forge have been put on the back burner atm. That can't be helped, they do need to pay their bills somehow, so they can only afford to "push as hard as they can" during downtime.

This Forum in its current state of comatose limbo is pretty much pointless without red admin posts, though. They really should either commit to it - or quit keeping it online. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#33 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

This Forum in its current state of comatose limbo is pretty much pointless without red admin posts, though. They really should either commit to it - or quit keeping it online. 

Over-dramatic sensationalism!

Some people are good communicators and some aren't. It is what it is, and what it will be until someone with an enthusiasm for talking joins the team. I don't think many of us here appreciate the silences, but closing down the forum?  :o  :wacko: 

• Davefevs, Lukas and IanD like this

#34 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Undramatic rationalism. This forum is currently as pointless as a perfect sphere.

If the admins can't be bothered to make use of their own creation, I'd say it's time to pull the plug. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#35 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Undramatic rationalism. This forum is currently as pointless as a perfect sphere.

If the admins can't be bothered to make use of their own creation, I'd say it's time to pull the plug. 

Don't know whether you mean the forums as a whole or just this thread?

Wouldn't say it is pointless at all. I will admit, I am one of the fire stokers when it comes to lack of communication from PP (which is mainly AJ and MJ) but there are plenty of other threads on the go that are basically full of chit chat between the community with no input needed from PP at all.

Pointless?

I think not.

#36 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Threads like "what other golf game are you playing now?" or "What's your song right now?" or somesuch... um... slightly unessential things? Even I am reluctant to adhere to my own diagnosis since right now I'm still posting here, probably trying to ease the tedium by commenting on the subplot of a subplot. But none of this is really productive or relevant, not even these here words. This Forum blatantly fails at being the buzzing and humming central plaza of an exciting new golf game and the hub of lively, engaged communication between enthusiastic developers and their vibrant community. Hence: pointless.

But you go ahead and enjoy this forum, Daz, by all means.

• Richard and nightowl like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#37 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

hell still wondering if we will even see a game before next fall.

there just does not seem enough going on here

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#38 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

I will admit, the forums have slowed a bit but PP did answer quite a few of my questions, at least.. I do agree though, that an occasional, high all, things are moving right along would be nice.. That's why I would like to see the Homepage, that used to show some pics of a course and some other things, (now is blank)  be used for news from the Dev's, if only to say, were still on course...

Patience all...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#39 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

The likes of AJ & MJ tend to post in bursts. I'm hoping they are just extremely busy both on the game and getting East Lake ready for broadcast.

I'm expecting another burst after 22nd Sept.

#40 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'm expecting another burst after 22nd Sept.

...at which point we will be informed that they indeed did perform some graphics services for some broadcaster for the Fedexcup finals at East Lake in Atlanta, but that NDA's made it impossible for them to tell us earlier what we pretty much know already. PerfectGolf and CourseForge were put on ice for a month, but at least this job fedexed some cash into the till, so: good for them. That sort of information burst will not make the needle twitch away from the zero mark on my excitement meter. 

Oh, and congrats to Mr. Jim Furyk on his superb 59 at Lake Forest. But how dare he sign for such an unrealistic score? Doesn't he know that this sort of Arcade Golf is being frowned upon around here?

• egl1219 likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users