#1 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

What's everyone's preferred method of leveling up in online golf games? More specifically, what system of leveling up do you want to see Perfect Golf have? 

• Erik Lugris likes this

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#2 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

I haven't played any online specific golf games, just Links, so I have no knowledge of leveling systems used, but the one thing that stopped me playing the Tiger Woods golf series was the way that the better you got, and the longer you played, the easier the game made it for you!! Surely levelling up should make the game harder, not easier, to keep you challenged. I found that being able to hit bad shots that were punished less because of my skill ratings made me quickly lose interest. I don't want stats that artificially enhance my shots, and suck the ball into the hole like a hoover!! :angry: 

Perhaps that's not the way the online golf games work. I'd be interested to hear more about this. 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#3 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Not sure why PG needs levels. If you hit a bad shot, it's a bad shot. Hit a good shot its a good shot.
Never been a fan of a player having various elements that get modified over time such as power, accuracy, distance, stamina, etc
Just give varying difficulty levels to choose from and I'll play at the one I prefer.
Also not a fan of balls that go +10 yards, shirts that aid accuracy, hats that aid power etc. things make the game too gimmicky and arcade for me.
Still, if and when the game appears, PP will do it as they see fit.
  • Erik Lugris, Doudar1361295165, Davefevs and 1 other like this

#4 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Agree with Daz on the question of levelling, I'd hate to see that in the new game.

• Davefevs likes this

#5 classicrocker824

classicrocker824

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

If there is going to be levels, I would say 10 at the most, not any 250. Start at level 1, as you get better & reach a certain point you level to 2 & so on. Equipment should get a little more power with each level but no increase in accuracy. The shot or putt we hit should be the shot or putt we hit. Also keep power realistic, no 350-400 yard dives. But as Daz said possibly no levels just various difficulty settings. Definetly no hats or gimmicks to increase power/accuracy. Never helped my real game.

#6 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

The game shoud play just like IRL Golf.  I have only played IRL Golf about 5 times in my life. When I hit a great shot/swing I got the same resuts just as if an IRL Pro had hit that shot.

As for Clubs adding distance, do they really IRL?

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#7 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Levelling is for arcade games not for a golf simulation  End of :)

• garynorman likes this
Posted Image

#8 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Not sure why PG needs levels. If you hit a bad shot, it's a bad shot. Hit a good shot its a good shot.
Never been a fan of a player having various elements that get modified over time such as power, accuracy, distance, stamina, etc
Just give varying difficulty levels to choose from and I'll play at the one I prefer.
Also not a fan of balls that go +10 yards, shirts that aid accuracy, hats that aid power etc. things make the game too gimmicky and arcade for me.
Still, if and when the game appears, PP will do it as they see fit.

I've never been a fan of that either. It just makes it much more frustrating starting out because you can only hit the ball 225 yards while higher level players can kill you off the tees. 

I do, however, like levels that unlock clubs and balls. I think that the benefits from said equipment should be small, but definitely still be included. 

• TheLighterDark likes this

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

#9 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

I agree with the posts above in that there should be multiple difficulty levels without the leveling up of attributes.

I would like to see a total attribute limit of say 70 with the choice of using a limited amount of attribute points for each category (power, accuracy, recovery, putting, etc.).  This allows you to design your golfer to what suits your style of play.  I would also like these attributes available when you create your golfer from the start.

-MERACE

• Erik Lugris and garynorman like this

#10 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

If PP are still working on having various brands of clubs in the game, I'm all for the use of a particular brand/model of club having a real world effect in the game that may differ from another. Whether you choose to play at Amateur, Pro, Champ, Elite etc. these will all have a different level of penalising bad shots based on the skill level being played, but it would be nice if clubs behaved realistically as well.

By this, I mean if club tests have proven the difference, try to apply it in the game. So if the stock Taylor Made driver hits 5 yards further than a PING, then replicate this in the game with the stock 100% strength shot. If a slightly of centre hit with a Titleist is 10 yards better than the same shot with a Callaway, then replicate it in the game. Good shots should react the same irrespective of skill level (as should the effect sloping lies have on the ball), but there should be some sliding scale for how bad the bad shots actually react, such as

Amateur = 40% of actual effect
Pro = 60% of actual effect
Champ = 80% of actual effect
Elite = 100% actual effect

The above are just for the sake of my example, so at the easier Amateur level the severity of the bad shot is dumbed down compared to the hardest skill setting.

Also with irons, if we get to choose from blades or cavity, I'm sure the mis-hit 'snap' for the blades would be a little more penal than with the cavity irons.

I sincerely hope that we will be able to select from a various range of brands of clubs and models, and also the same for clothing, shoes and gloves. Not sure how much advancement Joe Harford made with the in game animations, but hopefully this will be one of the updates that we are promised will be more regular than on the previous site.

We can only sit and wait, just hope we're not sitting and waiting too long.

;)

#11 Guest_Legend_*

Guest_Legend_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

I believe that the game, when purchased, offers a 15 day online experience to play other golfers. After those 15 days the person either pays monthly or yearly for an online subscription. I do not believe there should be indefinite free game play.

#12 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:22 AM

Links had difficult modes of play and so did Tiger Woods 2006.  We should not  have the gimmicky garbarge of TWO and WGT.  The game should come with all the equipment. If you want to buy extra clothes for your golfer that's OK with me. NEVER should we pay for anything that makes the equipment or golfer play better. Never should we be offered or allowed any enhancements to the golfer or the equipment.

I will pay for the game and I will pay the yearly subscription (two main expenses - the core of the cash flow for PP).  I might spend extra money for apparel but PP should not follow the arcade trend of 100's of micro transactions that turn a golf game into a farce.

If a player wants to play at more difficult levels he or she should be able to set the those levels whenever they host their own game. Everything should be easy to read in the game lobby and their should be chat in the game lobby.

I agree their should be 10 experience levels. When you reach level 10 you still can choose to play whatever difficulty mode you want, however, everyone see's you are a level 10 before they join your game. They know they are playing someone who got to level 10 because that player put the time in to get there, not because the player purchased ridiculous boosters and enhancements to get to level 10 faster. Bah-humbug to all that junk.

I also believe that the game, when purchased, offers a 15 day online experience to play other golfers. After those 15 days the person either pays monthly or yearly for an online subscription. I do not believe there should be indefinite free game play.

We all NEED to pay to play to keep the company solvent and profitable.   :)

Hi Legend,

I agree with most of what you said, but I would like to pose one question to you and anyone else who feels like stepping in and answering. 

Firstly, let me get things straight. You said you want 1. the game to come with all of the equipment 2. nothing should be paid to acquire equipment. 3. there should be 10 levels with no boosters/enhancements, etc. 4. users should be offered 15 days online for free to experience the program. 

I like the ideas, but what's stopping someone from just registering a new account each time their 15 day trial runs out? They already have all the equipment. Would there be advantages to being a higher level? It's these kind of questions that we need to ask early on and let PP see in order to create something that works upon release, and not something that has to be constantly fixed post-release. 

Dazmaniac will chime in with a great response, I'm sure. ;)

n2o7ldH.png

#13 TiAnO

TiAnO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

I think that there should be something like levels. When I started to play golf, I played a lot worse than I do now. This is due to training, not to hats or shirts. Clubs have an influence on the game but it's not that big. If I play a very fast swing and use soft shafts, I will have different problems from a player with slow swing and stiff shafts. I would very much like to see these kinds of questions put to the players in this game.

So, yes, I think there should be levels. Not many, but they should be there.

They should take time and practice to reach and not some special gear or clubs.

Reaching higher levels should have an effect on the decisions a player must make in order to get the best set of clubs for his game, the tees he has to play from, the handicap he plays from, etc.

• Erik Lugris likes this

Still proud to be a member of PGA-Tour-Group in TWO and very much looking forward to finding something like that here!

#14 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I think that there should be something like levels. When I started to play golf, I played a lot worse than I do now. This is due to training, not to hats or shirts. Clubs have an influence on the game but it's not that big. If I play a very fast swing and use soft shafts, I will have different problems from a player with slow swing and stiff shafts. I would very much like to see these kinds of questions put to the players in this game.

So, yes, I think there should be levels. Not many, but they should be there.

They should take time and practice to reach and not some special gear or clubs.

Reaching higher levels should have an effect on the decisions a player must make in order to get the best set of clubs for his game, the tees he has to play from, the handicap he plays from, etc.

I think every is agreeing on leveling of some sort, but what would the point be? What would happen when "leveling up"?

n2o7ldH.png

#15 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Many players, I'm not one of them, like to have career modes (which are basically extended tutorials) and quite a lot like to go for achievements. Thinking back to Links, there were no levels and not even different brands of clubs (not sure if PG wants to play the licensing game anyway) and it still worked fine. 

Whereas I understand and respect the fact that some sort of levelling might appeal to some players, I personally see no use for it at all.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#16 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Many players, I'm not one of them, like to have career modes (which are basically extended tutorials) and quite a lot like to go for achievements. Thinking back to Links, there were no levels and not even different brands of clubs (not sure if PG wants to play the licensing game anyway) and it still worked fine. 

Whereas I understand and respect the fact that some sort of levelling might appeal to some players, I personally see no use for it at all.

I like something that visualize how much time I've put into the game, and the skills that have resulted from that time investment. I think levels are a good representation of that. 

n2o7ldH.png

#17 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

As the game will undoubtedly have some form of handicap calculation that can be applied from the player's stats, I see no reason why this figure alone, next to a player's name, can't represent the player's ability to everyone within the level they are currently playing, whether they are playing in handicap, or scratch competitions, or just simply trying to arrange a friendly, fun round. Players would instantly be able to see whether they are going to be out of their comfort zone, or playing ability, before committing to a game with these players.

Paying for clubs, balls, and apparel has obviously already been taken by the PP team, as there are already categories for these within their online store. As the intention of PP was always to produce a realistic golf simulation, I am sure there were no plans for arcade elements to be added to the game, as has been the case with other online golf games. I see no reason though, why people who enjoy these features can't also be catered to within separate 'arcade' competitions. The MOP's for game creation can easily have the option to flag 'arcade type' equipment as allowable or not, so that everyone could have the option to play this way if they so desire. I see no reason that both arcade, and ultra-sim players could not both be catered for within one game/sim quite easily.

• Erik Lugris likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#18 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Acrilix, I agree with you, leveling for me is all about online career mode, it is about getting out of the amateur ranks into the mini tours, and ultimately the big tours and the majors.  The MMORG version will obviously mean very few players reach the highest levels, but that is why there should be a local career mode as well as a country club mode where you are competing with your own group of friends inside your own country club 

• Erik Lugris and Unique like this

#19 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

I would like to see wins and losses and maybe you could level up based on your win percentage.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Silverstone ST1500 1500W ATX
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
1x LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner
1x LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Player
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

#20 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Acrilix, I agree with you, leveling for me is all about online career mode, it is about getting out of the amateur ranks into the mini tours, and ultimately the big tours and the majors.  The MMORG version will obviously mean very few players reach the highest levels, but that is why there should be a local career mode as well as a country club mode where you are competing with your own group of friends inside your own country club 

I like that idea. Definitely thinking in the right direction.

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Silverstone ST1500 1500W ATX
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
1x LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner
1x LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Player
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users