#41 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Ya know how those sandbaggers will fish a newbie into a skins game.  lol   ;)

One very good reason not to go down the levels route

#42 Guest_Legend_*

Guest_Legend_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

One very good reason not to go down the levels route

:D  Very true Barry!  I think I remember a few people being hustled during real-money rounds and using PayPal back in the early days of Links 2003.  :ph34r:

#43 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

So is it going to be free , besides the fact you have to buy balls ,and high end clubs?

#44 Guest_Legend_*

Guest_Legend_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

So is it going to be free , besides the fact you have to buy balls ,and high end clubs?

No one from PP has said we are going to have to buy clubs, balls or any gear at this point.t?

#45 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Levelling...levelling what? Skills, course access, tournament access? There are lots of things levelling could be in PerfectGolf but ultimately the best levelling should be your actual skill level, just like in real golf.

I like a system much like iracing in that you all start off with the same equipment and skill level but as you progress with your real skill you can buy better cars/tracks and improve your ranking so as to race on those tracks in online races, just substitute cars for equipment and tracks for courses. Performance matching would make it possible for people of similar skill level to compete against each other without the need for handicaps.

Lets face it, in real life you can buy performance with better clubs/balls/swing tuition or even getting equipment simply more in tune with your swing. I'd like to mirror that in PerfectGolf but only to a point. If you would listen to the equipment manufacturers, by the time you've added up your real life distance gains from hot balls, massive headed drivers, better spikes, souped up graphite shafts, super tacky grips and non slip golf gloves we'll all be hitting it 400 yards from the tee!

Doesn't quite work out like that does it  :lol:

#46 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

I like a system much like iracing in that you all start off with the same equipment and skill level but as you progress with your real skill you can buy better cars/tracks and improve your ranking so as to race on those tracks in online races, just substitute cars for equipment and tracks for courses. Performance matching would make it possible for people of similar skill level to compete against each other without the need for handicaps.

I'm a little confused here. Is this just pertaining to a tournament/career mode, or will we be unable to purchase certain courses or play them unless we are good enough players? I play all my Links golf online, but most of the time the only thing I want to compete with is the course itself. I'm not particularly good, and I tend to make the game as hard as I can to simulate a real golf challenge. I'm not really interested in beating other people, just enjoying the challenges that each course brings. I would be disappointed if there were courses that were unavailable to me to play with my friends online, just because I hadn't reached a certain level of skill with the game.

• Davefevs likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#47 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

If you would listen to the equipment manufacturers, by the time you've added up your real life distance gains from hot balls, massive headed drivers, better spikes, souped up graphite shafts, super tacky grips and non slip golf gloves we'll all be hitting it 400 yards from the tee!

Doesn't quite work out like that does it  :lol:

Very true Mike, but there is nothing to stop a complete novice golfer going out and purchasing the most up to date clubs, clothing, shoes, balls etc. and then heading for the course.

So I would hope that if we are to get the choice of different clubs, clothing, shoes, balls etc. that we can have access to it all from the get-go, especially as far as playing Perfect Golf from the third party tour point of view, like the OWGC at apcd-courses, and not have to reach a certain level in career mode to open up Callaway or Taylor Made etc.

I would hate for friendly online games see all players using stock clubsets because no-one had yet managed to reach Level 5 in Career Mode and unlock PING clubs, lol.

• Davefevs likes this

#48 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

It's one thing if PP can get some cash from manufacturers for introducing brand name clubs into their game. I would understand the commercial necessity of such a feature in that case.

Barring any such arrangement, I think that what should separate the good players from the rest are..

- their choices when selecting and performing a shot

- their experience

- their imagination

- their commitment and ambition to compete

- and the time and effort they are willing to invest into getting better at the game

That's what made the difference in every golf game I played in the past. I don't remember any brand name gear in Links (Haven't played it for quite some time, though, ever since the Macs went Intel at it wasn't ported). Default stock clubs are sufficient, imo. Cosmetic alterations, different club heads, shaft and grip colors, can be an optional feature for those who care for that kind of thing, but the in-game performance of the clubs should be irrelevant. And player levels with skills attributes as well. Any duffer can buy pro gear nowadays, but he will always be outplayed by a pro using amateur equipment. Golf is played between your ears.

• George_Weaver likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#49 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Very true Mike, but there is nothing to stop a complete novice golfer going out and purchasing the most up to date clubs, clothing, shoes, balls etc. and then heading for the course.

Well IRL the general golfing population don't get access to the very latest clubs, shafts, clothing etc. They are usually reserved for tour players and are only available through the tour vans that travel from tour stop to tour stop.

#50 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

I just hope that we have different Swing Difficulties, say you use the  TS style, Novice TS should be much much easier then Expert TS, I hope that that the tournaments are swing difficulty specific.

So that if I have chosen to play the Expert TS difficulty, then I should ONLY be able to join a tournament for Expert swing difficulty ONLY..

Novice Swing Difficulty should Only be able to  join a Novice Swing Difficulty tournament.

I don't want Novice Swing Difficulty joining an Expert Swing Difficulty tournament.. The Novice Swing Difficulty player, would have a huge advantage..

TWO would not listen to that, I hope PP does..

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#51 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

I just hope that we have different Swing Difficulties, say you use the  TS style, Novice TS should be much much easier then Expert TS, I hope that that the tournaments are swing difficulty specific.
So that if I have chosen to play the Expert TS difficulty, then I should ONLY be able to join a tournament for Expert swing difficulty ONLY..
Novice Swing Difficulty should Only be able to  join a Novice Swing Difficulty tournament.
I don't want Novice Swing Difficulty joining an Expert Swing Difficulty tournament.. The Novice Swing Difficulty player, would have a huge advantage..
TWO would not listen to that, I hope PP does..

That could be one option. But why restrict yourself if a fair way, I.e. handicapping system can allow us all to play together? It is possible to run competitions within competitions as well.

I'm guessing that each Country Club can define its own rules? I would prefer to play with all swing types and abilities.

#52 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

That could be one option. But why restrict yourself if a fair way, I.e. handicapping system can allow us all to play together? It is possible to run competitions within competitions as well.

I'm guessing that each Country Club can define its own rules? I would prefer to play with all swing types and abilities.

Because, if PG has say, a TS with 3 Swing difficulty levels and a 3 clik meter with the same, then the live tournaments should make available 3 tournaments, 1 for each Swing Difficulty.  Thats fair.. Some people like to play on easy and some don't. Like I said, if you throw in the players who like an easy swing difficulty with the players who like an  Expert Swing difficulty all into the same tournament, then how is that fair to the guy that is playing the toughest swing difficulty possible? Of course the guy playing the Easy Swing Difficulty would have a unfair advantage..

I just hope this game offers an expert level of play with an expert swing difficulty for those of us who want that. Of course, I want the folks who like an easier Swing to have that too..

Just my thoughts as we start a new venture... Choices for all.. Of course private clubs should be able to do as they wish...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#53 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Agree with Dave - this is something that should be controlled by Country Clubs and not forced on the masses. :)

#54 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

Agree with Dave - this is something that should be controlled by Country Clubs and not forced on the masses. :)

Come on Bluenoser, where did I ever say I wanted  to "Force something on the masses"?

I only meant that players should have choices..

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#55 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I would like to make sure that everyone understands where I'm coming from. 

I am a team player, all I hope for in this game is that we all have ChOICES! At least as many as are reasonable for all. I want Everyone to be able to enjoy this game when it comes out...

I want choices for the folks who like a nice easy round and choices for those who like an intense round and for all in between. I hope that this happens here.. :)

Peace...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#56 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

I would like to make sure that everyone understands where I'm coming from. 
I am a team player, all I hope for in this game is that we all have ChOICES! At least as many as are reasonable for all. I want Everyone to be able to enjoy this game when it comes out...
I want choices for the folks who like a nice easy round and choices for those who like an intense round and for all in between. I hope that this happens here.. :)
Peace...

That is fair enough, and you are perfectly entitled to want to play in events that allow equality based on swing-type / level.

From my viewpoint, I've enjoyed playing on the OWGT where a handicapping system is used and allows us all to compete in a net score type event.

Lets hope we can all be accommodated!

Also, what might seem like a nice easy level to some, might be a real challenge for me. In links, I made the move from pro level to champ a few years ago, because pro became a bit too easy. I was regularly shooting 6-10 under par and that seemed a bit unrealistic so I moved up to champ. I think my OWGT handicap was -7 or -8. However on champ, although I was able to play around par or just under it was a real struggle, where it became more about scrambling for par. On some courses or some levels it became difficult to break 80, this coupled with an ageing PC and hence a choppy swing meter I lost a bit of enjoyment.

I had a couple of years off and am back playing pro. Handicap has gone back to -8.....but what I've realised is that I'm having fun again playing with some old friends and new ones (@bluenoser). I'm sure a setting level somewhere between pro and champ on links would be perfect for me.....but also envious of those on my tour who play Elite with a minus handicap.....legends!
  • axe360 likes this

#57 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Come on Bluenoser, where did I ever say I wanted  to "Force something on the masses"?

I only meant that players should have choices..

C'mon axe, where did I ever say "you" wanted to force anything? My comment was that it shouldn't be forced through the game, and should be controlled by country clubs.

You're overreacting in a huge way.

#58 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

C'mon axe, where did I ever say "you" wanted to force anything? My comment was that it shouldn't be forced through the game, and should be controlled by country clubs.

You're overreacting in a huge way.

Fair enough Bluenoser, I've been known to overreact at times. All good...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#59 Guest_Legend_*

Guest_Legend_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Pretty simple to me. We have clubs and balls that do different things, spin, power etc.  Those should be part of the game and not mini-transactions. 

One speed for both swing types but very difficult playing conditions is what I would prefer.

• Davefevs likes this

#60 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

I think I would  pay for a 1 year subscription and that's it! No  micro transactions..

We used to pay around 50 bucks for a Full Installation of TW PC, with inflation, I would be willing to pay closer to 75 bucks for the year for a Full Installation.

I don't want to get only some things and have to sacrifice others because the game won't run smoothly over the internet if we had a Full Install..

I would like gr8 graphics along with gr8 game play, I want the "whole 9 yards"...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users