#21 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

A tier system is not an idea to shy away from either, in my opinion. WGT took huge advantage of this early on and created a working system. Obviously, I understand that this isn't WGT, but I feel like they, as well as many other online golf games, have a lot to draw from. 

For example, each tier should have requirements:

1. Rookie - Rounds played: 0. Scoring average: >90. 
  2. Amateur - Rounds played: 250. Scoring average: 76-90. 
  3. Professional - Rounds played: 1,000. Scoring average: 68-76. 
  4. Perfect Golf Professional - Rounds played: 5,000+. Scoring average: <68. 

Users could play tournaments based off of their tier. Scoring average is reset upon "tiering" up. Additionally, I think there could be several other requirements for achieving the next tier, such as birdies made, hole-in-ones, match play victories, tournament victories, etc. That way it wouldn't only be about an input of time, but an output of skill. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#22 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

When I play on the OWGT, I like the fact that I can play against a range of different swing types, skill levels, with each player having a handicap relevant to their own trials and tribulations in the game. Bit like real life really!

#23 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

I hope these suggestions, if incorporated, are all options I can disable.

Just my opinion, but these things are gimmicky.

If I buy the game, I want to decide if I'm going to play Amy, Pro, Champ, or whatever level. I want to make the decisions myself. Unlocking stuff, earning skill boosts, level achievements, etc etc are gimmicks imo. They are the exact reason I never liked TW and loved Links. In TW I had to earn points or whatever they were called and then decide what to spend them on, in Links I only had to decide how I wanted to play, and had all options available to me if I wanted to use them. That works just fine for me, thank you. My play improved with practice, not with the things I could unlock. I do not want to be forced to reach a certain ability or level or points so I can play at a different ability.

This is not a knock on anyone's suggestions btw, I respect them all. Just how I feel about the whole "Leveling" issue.

• Mav78 and Davefevs like this

#24 Guest_Legend_*

Guest_Legend_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Leveling Up.  That needs to be defined cleary by as many members as possible.  My idea of Leveling Up is simply to show your Game Play Experience.

#25 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

If you want a decent career mode then you have to have leveliing, thats why I never bothered with career much on Links. Having said that I won't go online with Tiger Woods until my stats are all 100%, there's no point. That can take ages to level my char right up, so may want to keep that in mind. Obviously being a sim game I dont expect to be hitting many 400 yard drives either lol

• greenOak likes this

#26 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

I hope these suggestions, if incorporated, are all options I can disable.

Just my opinion, but these things are gimmicky.

If I buy the game, I want to decide if I'm going to play Amy, Pro, Champ, or whatever level. I want to make the decisions myself. Unlocking stuff, earning skill boosts, level achievements, etc etc are gimmicks imo. They are the exact reason I never liked TW and loved Links. In TW I had to earn points or whatever they were called and then decide what to spend them on, in Links I only had to decide how I wanted to play, and had all options available to me if I wanted to use them. That works just fine for me, thank you. My play improved with practice, not with the things I could unlock. I do not want to be forced to reach a certain ability or level or points so I can play at a different ability.

This is not a knock on anyone's suggestions btw, I respect them all. Just how I feel about the whole "Leveling" issue.

Totally agree with you, Bluenoser. Couldn't have said it better.

Juergen

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (1GB RAM)

Samsung SyncMaster T260HD & T2770 (Resolution: 1920 x 1200)

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#27 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

How are clubs going to be available? Will it be by tier, or experience points?

#28 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

How are clubs going to be available? Will it be by tier, or experience points?

There seems to be an overwhelming majority that agrees that clubs should be available from the start. Any leveling up is just for aesthetic purposes. 

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

#29 Guest_Legend_*

Guest_Legend_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

There seems to be an overwhelming majority that agrees that clubs should be available from the start. Any leveling up is just for aesthetic purposes. 

I agree totally.

#30 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

I agree totally. The levels 1 though 10 are simply to show how much experience a person has accumulated playing PerfectGolf.  Let's say a beginner at level #1 joins a game with a level #4 player.  He right away knows that the host of the game has more experience - it's just that simple.

The more experienced player may choose to make the settings for that round far more difficult than the beginner is use to playing. Thus giving the beginner a chance to play a more difficult game or NOT join the game due to the more difficult settings.

Pretty straight forward to me and no gimmicks. 

Someone else mentioned a record of wins and losses.  I think that should be part of the player's history as well.  It's always fun to see your win/loss ratio and those of other players.

Assuming that each level takes more than five minutes to reach, I'd suggest that there be several accolades around the site and in-game to be obtained. I'm thinking trophies mainly. 

n2o7ldH.png

#31 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

I hope that if we are to be given options as to what clubs and clothing we can make use of, content is not locked until a certain tier/skill level is attained.

I'm all for putting virtual prices on equipment and clothing, so that you may have to earn some virtual PP dollars to allow you to buy the latest Callaway driver but I don't think certain clubs should be locked down because of level.

Like in real life, there is nothing to stop a total novice at the game going out and buying a Taylor Made R1, the same club being used by a 10 handicapper who has played the game for 4 years.

#32 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

I agree totally. The levels 1 though 10 are simply to show how much experience a person has accumulated playing PerfectGolf.  Let's say a beginner at level #1 joins a game with a level #4 player.  He right away knows that the host of the game has more experience - it's just that simple.

The more experienced player may choose to make the settings for that round far more difficult than the beginner is use to playing. Thus giving the beginner a chance to play a more difficult game or NOT join the game due to the more difficult settings.

Pretty straight forward to me and no gimmicks. 

Someone else mentioned a record of wins and losses.  I think that should be part of the player's history as well.  It's always fun to see your win/loss ratio and those of other players.

I understand what you're saying, but experience does not equal a good player. Just because I've played 500 more rounds than you does not mean I'm a better player and you'll be embarrassed if we play a round.

Nor would having plenty of experience be any indication that the settings will be difficult. If you ask me, all that does is scare potential newbies away from long time players, where they might learn some tips.

#33 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Doesn't everyone own a special pair of pants (not trousers) that adds 50 yards to your drives on a Sunday morning? Must just be me then lol

#34 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Doesn't everyone own a special pair of pants (not trousers) that adds 50 yards to your drives on a Sunday morning? Must just be me then lol

I own a pair that make me look like I've added 50 lbs. :lol:

• Brucey Mc likes this

#35 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

50 yards in the wrong direction!

#36 Guest_Legend_*

Guest_Legend_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I understand what you're saying, but experience does not equal a good player.

I can live without career experience. I'm just interested in playing competitively, so wins/losses are most important to me.

#37 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

But honestly, I can live without career experience. I'm just interested in playing competitively, so wins/losses are most important to me.

I think that this is the cast for most players. On the other hand, Experience, tiers, levels, etc. also provide a huge incentive to keep people playing. I would have never stuck around TWO or WGT for as long as I did if there was not something to look forward to. 

n2o7ldH.png

#38 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

In most cases the experience level would indicate a strong player.  Remember too that you would see the difficulty-settings before you joined a game. I personally would like to know how many games the other player has won/loss, experience and difficulty settings before I joined their game.  Makes sense in real life too if a person was playing skins. Ya know how those sandbaggers will fish a newbie into a skins game.  lol   ;)

But honestly, I can live without career experience. I'm just interested in playing competitively, so wins/losses are most important to me.

Well, I offer up again, experience has nothing to do with it. Nor does wins/losses. If an Avg player plays a lot of not so Avg player and has 150 wins vs 45 losses, does that mean he's a good competitive match for you? Hardly.

I don't see what's wrong with the way it worked now in Links and TW. You played Ama, Pro, Champ, Elite (They had other names in TW but you get the idea). If I play Champ, I look for Champ ability players to compete against. I really don't see how his/her win/loss total is going to affect whether I want to play him/her or not. If they play Champ Ability the same as I do, that's good enough for me. I wouldn't play Champ ability if I wasn't comfortable at it and I doubt they would either if they're looking for head to head competition.

#39 Guest_Legend_*

Guest_Legend_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Whatever works for each of us is all that matters. I'm just excited we have a new game on the horizon!

#40 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

So it is going to be a pay type game? Where you have to buy a sub. I personally don't think that's the way to go. Why not run it like WGT, trust me the company will make money

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users