• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Fistful of Steel

Fistful of Steel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:44 PM

So I was able to play a bit of the new Rory PGA Tour 15 last night with EA Access on the Xbox. Yikes,now I know why EA was so tight lipped about the game even weeks before it's release. Just another sad bare bones effort (a la NHL 15). No team play or turn based play either.

Sure, it looks pretty but that's about it. My first 18 at Sawgrass I hit the pin 3-4 times, putting (and chipping) is an afterthought (basically move the flag to your desired distance and take the same full swing every putt). I played on arcade but even people playing the hardest setting (Tour) are reporting that it's simple to hit the ball straight every shot.
Granted I only played for a short time but I honestly don't know if I will play the full 10 hours I get with Access.

Makes me wonder what the PG team could've done with the budget EA had for their game.

#2 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Just another sad bare bones effort (a la NHL 15). No team play or turn based play either.

No turned based play?  That had been in every single incarnation of the game since the 80's.  Pretty pathetic if it's no longer an option.

I saw a bit of a video on demand from someone on Twitch who had streamed it.  He played a foursome online and you could see all of them on the course hitting their shots at around the same time and then disappearing lol.  The game looked like an early beta with disappearing golfers, tournament structures, bushes, etc.  Looks like, once again, the retail version of PGA Tour Golf is unfinished.  Feel sorry for the people who will be buying it.  I bet it's going to be a flop. 

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

We should probably get this moved to "off-topic" where the other Rory threads are right now, yeah?

• MERACE likes this

#4 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

We should probably get this moved to "off-topic" where the other Rory threads are right now, yeah?

Done!!

Richard

Posted Image

#5 Golden Bear

Golden Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

That was too obvious.  You don't need to play an EA Sports golf game to know that.  EA has never made a decent golf game other than 04.

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this

#6 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

So I was able to play a bit of the new Rory PGA Tour 15 last night with EA Access on the Xbox. Yikes,now I know why EA was so tight lipped about the game even weeks before it's release. Just another sad bare bones effort (a la NHL 15). No team play or turn based play either.

Sure, it looks pretty but that's about it. My first 18 at Sawgrass I hit the pin 3-4 times, putting (and chipping) is an afterthought (basically move the flag to your desired distance and take the same full swing every putt). I played on arcade but even people playing the hardest setting (Tour) are reporting that it's simple to hit the ball straight every shot.
Granted I only played for a short time but I honestly don't know if I will play the full 10 hours I get with Access.

Makes me wonder what the PG team could've done with the budget EA had for their game.

I think it's more of a matter of "look what EA Sports did with the budget They had"...

All the money in the world doesn't mean a company will come up with a gr8 game, as EA SPORTS is proving.

.. Look what PG has done so far, with a very limited budget..  Not "could've done. It's not over yet... ;)

Like it is for EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS just doesn't know it... lol

• Richard, ☠InDaSkies☠ and Golden Bear like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#7 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

Having had 30 mins play, well tutorial and play, it looks like the kind of game that I could pick up and play with my son. He's 9, doesn't understand the finer details of golf, that PG will undoubtedly bring in time (some there already), and I think we could have a bit of fun playing each other. I don't think it will have the longevity that I require to immerse myself in it, but that's not to say I wouldn't play it.

But I've only played a few holes in Prologue, have no idea what other features there are, so will definitely give the 10 hours a whirl.

If I don't get a new 'puter, then roll on the Xbox port of PG, it is the new Links 2003 with mod, brought up to date and bettered....I hope.

#8 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

Been watching alot of streamers playing the game and I have to be honest, the game play looks incredibly easy.  You've got all the aids up the wazzu you need to constantly hit every single fairway and green.   The there is no challenge in putting at all.   With the arc pointing in the fairway and greens, you just can't miss.  The the whole spin control of the ball?  What is that?   I found it odd that you can control your ball's spin after you hit it?  hahaha     Ball Physics look a little wonky or maybe that's the result of the ball spin?  No idea.. 

For 3 Click, the meter automatically adjusts your first click (power) to where you need to be.. in other words, not matter where you are on the hole or shot you are taking, the meter will show you where you need to click for power, so you really don't need to "learn" how much power is needed.    didn't see alot of people playing Tour mode, so I can't comment on that.  

Pros:  Graphically beautiful...  The courses and overall golf environment look great.   The golfer and caddie animations are second to none and love the background crowd, milling around.. that is, if you love the tournament setting.  

Overall... makes sense it looks alot like past TW games and reminds me of a little of the Golf Club.  End result for me is, No PC = don't have to worry whether or not I want to buy it.  

#9 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

reminds me of a little of the Golf Club. 

...very little like the Golf Club (Tour Mode maybe).

I'll know better next Tuesday.

-MERACE

#10 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

Ok I played it - what do I think? Graphics are far less impressive 'in game' in fact when I loaded up their version of TPC Boston it was just plain ugly IMO.

Menus and options are few and far between, there is no way I found to turn off the tournament atmosphere crowds grandstands etc for example nor a way to turn off the annoying post shot animations after each and every shot. 

The gameplay left me a little cold although I did find a way to turn everything off and play ' hard' more if you like. It's not really fair to comment too much more after just an hour of play but right now I feel that PG and for that mattter TGC are both far better golf games.

• Richard likes this

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

@Mike:  Nice to hear you popped into Rory to check it out!

Couple thoughts right away I've been having...

#1.  I wonder if the PS4 version is going to look better and smoother, as has been the case in a variety of games that are on both XBONE & PS4?   This question peaks my interest also in regard to PG, not just other games.

#2.  What do you think of the Sawgrass vs Florida renditions?

#3.  Do you feel there are any things that Rory has executed better or differently in a way that you like, relative to PG?

#4.  Perhaps a follow on to #3 -- Anything you saw or liked that peaks your interest for adding or tweaking to PG?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you might have!

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:05 AM

Seen some early review scores by the gaming sites (IGN, GamesRadar, Metacritic, TechnoBuffalo, PlatsationLifeStyle) as the release for Joe Public draws nearer.

Some good, some not so good.

Will be interesting to see what the folks here who are getting the game make of it.

#13 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

I played it tonight and confirmed my suspicions from their quiet social media build up - the game's been rushed to meet a release date. Two crashes within 30 minutes, bare bones menus, missing a lot of features from previous games.

Was interested to see how they handled naming the different skin colors on their character generator - they played safe and called it Skin 1, Skin 2,... But then was shocked their only black skin as the last skin of about 16 choices, with an ugly face compared to other pretty white boy faces.

Animation's had a lot of work put into it and looked nice. Spectators gave the game lots of atmosphere but they just didn't come across as golf spectators. Possibly because all men were in trousers rather than cargoes? I played as Kaymer, but he didn't look German. Nobody looks more German than Kaymer.

Graphics - some nice touches but overall not too impressed.

Playability - even on pro mode I felt like it was giving me lots of assistance, like they wanted new players to feel good. Even after a few unfocused hours playing TGC I still can't chip or putt, PG I score poorly with the motion swing, but EA's game it just felt too easy.

#14 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

Playability - even on pro mode...

Did you customize the pro mode to be at all the hardest settings?

Apparently that's absolutely needed if you are sim oriented at all, as we are here in the PG world

#15 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

I have tried it on the pro mode ie everything off and on career mode and i must really suck because a bogey is a good score for me. The killer for me is the way you seem to have to slam the control stick forward to get anywhere near 100% for the shot distance

#16 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:26 PM

I don't own a console, so I've been using Twitch to watch users play the RM game.  It does look pretty sharp.  (I'm sure the development budget is large enough to allow many of the extra goodies.)  The water looks even better in RM than TGC, what with the waves crashing on the beach.  Wish PG could approximate the look (of the water, that is; all in all, I think PG looks quite good).  Looking forward to the next PG update.  :)

#17 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

Did you customize the pro mode to be at all the hardest settings?

Apparently that's absolutely needed if you are sim oriented at all, as we are here in the PG world

No, I just assumed pro mode just meant it had no assists and didn't spot those customisations. That explains a lot though.

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:54 AM

No, I just assumed pro mode just meant it had no assists and didn't spot those customisations. That explains a lot though.

Yeah - Frustrating.  It really sounds like there needs to be a "simulation" level that's above "Tour" that has *all* the aids off.

It's nice to be able to do it, but unless it's one of the preset modes it is a non starter for online players

#19 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:59 AM

What's all this 'chatter' about "the other golf game". Geez Louise, there is not other golf game. Just kidding. :D

Richard

Posted Image

#20 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:20 AM

I hear you, Richard.  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users