83 replies to this topic

#41 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:38 AM

Glad to see you're enjoying yourself designing on TGC - It's got a great designer, once you get to grips with its quirks, like the blue and red brushes and when to use each of them.  :)

I'm travelling the other way at present and I'm loving playing PG - I bought it last week!!

I'm even thinking about giving Unity another look soon because I can see me playing PG for a long time to come, and it would be great to be able to play my own creations on it in the future, once Course Forge is released.

I really am having a blast with TGC's course creator. I was losing patience waiting for course forge so I went ahead and purchased TGC for the sole purpose of it's course designer. I haven't played PG in about a month but once it's a full game with the CF I'm pretty sure I'll probably be back with PG fulltime again. I got to tell ya, some of the designers for TGC make some beautiful courses...very impressive stuff.

• karma4u likes this

#42 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

GNCD is a fun and quick tool for creating courses but its very limited, so many courses look and feel alike, i am currently trying something different, can't use CF at the moment because of a few minor issues with testing so i'm killing time with GNCD...no planting apart from a few fences, i'm concentrating on sculpting and contours, especially on the greens where i will have to dial down firmness and green speed to achieve what i want, but i'll get there...I'm 7 holes in, few pics of My WiP..i'll have a look at your grey wolf track later...have fun!

2015-11-16_00009.jpg

2015-11-16_00006.jpg

2015-11-16_00002.jpg

2015-11-16_00003.jpg

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#43 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

Gris, Played your gray wolf track m8, carded -9 reminds so much of my first course in GNCD, you have plenty to learn and that is to be expected, i will say that i really liked your greens, so many at TGC create flat greens that only slope one way, yours were fun and authentic, never change and get suckered in to creating the flat ones you see all the time over at TGC.  you should lay a few dummy holes down and experiment with the tools especially the fuzzy round one, this tool will help you smooth off any unwanted edges with a few clicks, you can also use it to apply subtle elevations here and there and define bunkers, once you get to grips with the tools and what they all do, you won't look back.  

Also i would experiment with the time of day settings in GNCD, a midday sun does nothing to enhance your course, try and get a lower sun without making it too dark, finally... never use the theme you used for gray wolf, steer clear of alpine and rural, no one uses them anymore, your courses will look much better with the other themes....enjoy!

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#44 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

@DoGgz - I'm sure it was watching  an early TGC Youtube video you made that I first learned how to smooth the fairway edges using that fuzzy blue brush. Maybe you could post a link to it for Griz891 if it is still available.

• karma4u likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#45 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

Here's a link to a golf game from some of the original Links development team members.  Unfortunately, it is only available for golf simulators at the reduced price of $1,669.00.  ;)

https://trugolf.com/e6/

-MERACE

#46 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

Here's a link to a golf game from some of the original Links development team members.  Unfortunately, it is only available for golf simulators at the reduced price of $1,669.00.  ;)

-MERACE

Not sure I'd call E6 a golf 'game'. Not seen anyone ever playing it on a PC with a mouse or controller. It's a bit like calling an F1 team simulator a racing game, lol.

#47 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:08 AM

Not sure I'd call E6 a golf 'game'. Not seen anyone ever playing it on a PC with a mouse or controller. It's a bit like calling an F1 team simulator a racing game, lol.

I sent an email to the developers of E6 asking if there is any chance that they would produce a proper golf "game" (i.e similar to an updated Links 2003) for the PC, consoles, or mobile devices sans the real golf clubs. I'll let you know what I find out. ;)

-MERACE

#48 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:13 AM

I think there was once some chit chat on Links Corner forums a good few years back about the possibility of building in some mouse control for their simulator software to allow it to be played on a PC but I don't think it ever got further than that, or at least they never came back with a firm yes or no.

#49 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:22 AM

I think there was once some chit chat on Links Corner forums a good few years back about the possibility of building in some mouse control for their simulator software to allow it to be played on a PC but I don't think it ever got further than that, or at least they never came back with a firm yes or no.

Ya, I sent an email to them a couple years ago and the answer at that time was "no". I'm hoping that they see the potential additional revenue stream with a port to a video game like PP and TGC have with their simulator versions of their video games.

-MERACE

#50 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

Ya, I sent an email to them a couple years ago and the answer at that time was "no". I'm hoping that they see the potential additional revenue stream with a port to a video game like PP and TGC have with their simulator versions of their video games.

-MERACE

Looks great.. thanks for the link.   It would be very interesting if that game came to PC.   I would probably buy it.. haha

#51 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

Gris, Played your gray wolf track m8, carded -9 reminds so much of my first course in GNCD, you have plenty to learn and that is to be expected, i will say that i really liked your greens, so many at TGC create flat greens that only slope one way, yours were fun and authentic, never change and get suckered in to creating the flat ones you see all the time over at TGC.  you should lay a few dummy holes down and experiment with the tools especially the fuzzy round one, this tool will help you smooth off any unwanted edges with a few clicks, you can also use it to apply subtle elevations here and there and define bunkers, once you get to grips with the tools and what they all do, you won't look back.  

Also i would experiment with the time of day settings in GNCD, a midday sun does nothing to enhance your course, try and get a lower sun without making it too dark, finally... never use the theme you used for gray wolf, steer clear of alpine and rural, no one uses them anymore, your courses will look much better with the other themes....enjoy!

Thanks DoGgz, and yeah I found a link on youtube with all of CrazyCanucks tutorials. Man there was alot of stuff I can do that I had no idea about. I'm building another course now using the Countryside theme and the way the course is going so far you wouldn't even know it was the same designer doing it...LOL. I bookmarked that page with all his videos to refer to but I got to tell ya, it's made a world of difference already and it's even more fun now to design. I'll try and get some pics posted of the process sometime this weekend and let everyone have a look at the new design. Thanks again for the feedback!!

#52 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

Here's a few pics from the course I'm working on now from GNCD. I have the front nine pretty much done.

Pic%201_zpsonnkodbc.jpg

Pic%205_zpsowvxetoc.jpg

Pic%202_zpsgirztx46.jpg

Pic%204_zpsknikdk3g.jpg

Pic%203_zps89wgqus1.jpg

• MERACE likes this

#53 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

Finished up my new course for TGC tonight so if anyone plays that game as well it's open for play.

TBC%20at%20Stonebriar_zpsaqtgolas.jpg

#54 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Well, I received the following response from my email to the TruGolf developers:

"Thanks for putting in an inquiry! We would love to develop a game for other platforms besides simulators. Just need the time, very busy with what our current projects. It is always in the back of our minds. Thanks,"

I also noticed that they have produced a couple courses for the online WGT golf game.

-MERACE

#55 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

-MERACE

LOVE those water reflections!

• MERACE likes this

#56 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

I know there's quite of few here that play both PP & TGC so I just wanted to give you a heads up on my new course release over on TGC.

Untitled-1_zps7a5ub2kc.jpg[/URL]

#57 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:22 PM

The first thing that catches my eye, of course, are the reflections.  Never see the 1:1 correspondence between terrain and reflections in PG.  :-\

• Griz891 likes this

#58 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

Yes,  the reflections shown from TGC are better than what we see in PG regards reflecting the terrain, but I still feel for rippled water,  TGC reflections are more like what you would see from a mill pond with no water rippling. 

Where the effect of flowing water is in the game,  the reflection has to have some distortion,  like below:-

2759188-Moon-Gate-Purple-Bamboo-Park-Bei 

• Armand likes this

#59 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

True, TGC is not perfect.  Still, I'd like the reflections to have some basis in reality.  What on earth is being reflected in this screenshot:  http://i.imgur.com/kwpuCGU.jpg

#60 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:18 PM

I just can't believe there isn't some middle ground for PG between:

"pixel perfect exact reflections that eat the CPU alive"

and

"totally generic, no real basis or correlation with the reality of the terrain around the water reflections"

Water and having somewhat correct reflections and wind movement, etc is a huge deal with making something believable to the eyes....and sure should be in a game that invokes the word "Perfect" if you ask me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users