• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

I think they nailed the name Perfect Golf,

now if they had called it Perfect Water,

I may have something to complain about.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#62 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

I think they nailed the name Perfect Golf,
now if they had called it Perfect Water,
I may have something to complain about.

My golf game frequently involves water
  • Mulligan likes this

#63 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hehe, Mine too, I keep a variety of splash

sounds handy when designing. Hopefully one

day we will be able to have a skipping contest,

I plan to excel in that.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#64 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

I agree with Buck. If TGC can have reasonable reflections without a reduction in frame rate it seems like PG should as well.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#65 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

True, TGC is not perfect. Still, I'd like the reflections to have some basis in reality. What on earth is being reflected in this screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/kwpuCGU.jpg

I wasn't defending PG reflections in my post, just highlighting that while TGC has better reflections they are a tad too mirror line.

It's one annoyance I have with PG that the stock reflection that is applied has no relation to the surrounding terrain and looks bad.
  • nightowl and Griz891 like this

#66 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

How much is the frame rate hit?  To my knowledge, no one has provided actual numbers.  Is it (roughly) 5 fps, 10, 20? 

#67 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

Are we able to skip the ball on the water's surface?  I doubt it ... but hopefully it comes to us one day.  :)

#68 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

For the most part I don't mind PG's reflections at all. The one exception is when you get those like nightowl posted with the giant tree trunks?!

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#69 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

For the most part I don't mind PG's reflections at all. The one exception is when you get those like nightowl posted with the giant tree trunks?!

They aren't reflections at all - It's just a really unconvincing fill of colors that is consistently "wrong" looking.  Also note how the sky colors aren't even close a lot of the time too...(which you'd think would be low hanging fruit...)

To me, the Water & the lack of any thickness to the rough grasses (the 'ol volumetric grass thing) are the big standouts where the game is falling short visually still.

• nightowl likes this

#70 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:30 AM

I'm wondering if the requirement of having a DirectX 11.0 compatible graphics card is the reason reflective water is an option in TGC and not PG?

-MERACE

#71 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:15 PM

Or is reflective water the reason why I can't above 15 - 20 fps at the High setting in TGC while I can run PG at Ultra High with everything maxed out?

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#72 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

Or is reflective water the reason why I can't above 15 - 20 fps at the High setting in TGC while I can run PG at Ultra High with everything maxed out?

I can run TGC at the highest settings and still get about 60 fps. Using Nvidia 970 GPU.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#73 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

I can run TGC at the highest settings and still get about 60 fps. Using Nvidia 970 GPU.

I'm using an Nvidia 960.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#74 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

I can run TGC at 60fps in 4k with room to spare. Water doesn't seem to be holding it back on my system.

#75 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:53 PM

I'm not holding my breath that anything will change.  IIRC, the developers mentioned having to prioritize things (i.e., integrating the new animations took precedence over making reflections look better) -- though, notably, without committing to making reflections look better.  I won't belabor the point (more than I already have) except to point to another ludicrous example:  http://www.perfectpa...ing-on/?p=48560

Regardless, I'm pleased with the many improvements to PG during EA.  It's the best golf sim available, IMO -- and will only get better!  :)

#76 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

I'm not holding my breath that anything will change.  IIRC, the developers mentioned having to prioritize things (i.e., integrating the new animations took precedence over making reflections look better) -- though, notably, without committing to making reflections look better.  I won't belabor the point (more than I already have) except to point to another ludicrous example:  http://www.perfectpa...ing-on/?p=48560

Regardless, I'm pleased with the many improvements to PG during EA.  It's the best golf sim available, IMO -- and will only get better!  :)

Yes - definitely.  It's the real deal as far as golf games go.  No doubt there.  I think the devs understand that the only reason we are always pushing for more is because it's just so damn good to begin with.  Seems counter intuitive to think that way but it's true...

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#77 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:59 AM

AMD A10 4.4gh

R9 280x

8gb Ram

Asus gamer MB

TGC chugs at detail 4 and 5 in game but performs better in GNCD

PG performs well enough on high settings in game,but course forge and unity is chugging real bad after only 9 holes built, it's so bad i am considering  leaving my latest track as a 9 holer, it seems to get slower after each hole, god knows what it will be like if i do get to 18.

• Griz891 likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#78 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:36 AM

I'm pretty content with the course designer for TGC. Course Forge, the more I keep hearing about it and all you need to learn, the less interested I am. Just what DoGgz is experiencing with it so far, sounds to me like it's going to be hard pressed to design a course with the stress it puts on your PC. Not to mention having to learn how unity works. I just don't feel very confident that myself or my PC is going to be able to handle it. The GNCD works great on my PC and it's alot of fun to mess around with which keeps me occupied for now. Winters in Montana....You have to have some kind of hobby to pass the time....LOL

#79 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

I guess it depends on ur spec griz...my cpu is what holds me back i think!  but when you look at whats going on in unity and CF surely i should be able to have it running pretty well considering my spec, or is it a case of unity not being optimised enough to cater for anything but high end machines.   I fondly remember creating a few courses with the course architect in PGA 2000 and its not a million miles away from CF, saying that i think unity is the problem, and nothing to do with CF, either way it does not bode well for people looking to create, unless of course you have a high end machine.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#80 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

I guess it depends on ur spec griz...my cpu is what holds me back i think!  but when you look at whats going on in unity and CF surely i should be able to have it running pretty well considering my spec, or is it a case of unity not being optimised enough to cater for anything but high end machines.   I fondly remember creating a few courses with the course architect in PGA 2000 and its not a million miles away from CF, saying that i think unity is the problem, and nothing to do with CF, either way it does not bode well for people looking to create, unless of course you have a high end machine.

I remember designing on PGA2000. My computer has a Nvidia GeForce 750TI so I doubt it would do the job for CF. Your probably right, it's probably Unity that's dragging things down. I thought TGC's course designer was equipped with unity, or is that just the game?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users