24 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

When writing a golf game one of the things that has always bothered me from an immersion perspective is that the game is very procedural.  Lets say I am playing a 4 ball better ball with three friends.  I tee off and see my shot, then I get positioned to watch each of my playing partners hit their shots.  Then in the fairway I watch shots from behind each player until it is my turn to play my shot.  This is not how we play golf in real life.  I do not go and stand behind each player and watch him hit.  Instead I go to my ball and watch the players hit from there until it is my turn.  If we are playing ready golf then when we are ready we hit our ball and move on.  This is golf from a first person perspective.  Our approach to multiplayer will allow players to choose between procedural golf and first person golf where you play your round and watch the others play around you. 

Feel free to post your thoughts...

#2 spikel

spikel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

I would love to play first person golf as I find it really does break the atmosphere when I am apparently always standing and watching the player hit from exactly the same distance behind them. I really am glad to hear that you guys truly understand the importance of the immersion as it can really make or break a golf game.

#3 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

First person sounds very intriguing...will be interested in seeing this in action.
Ken

#4 LasseThid

LasseThid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMölndal, Sweden

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

First person all the way...

There's nothing I hate more when playing golf in real life than watching the group ahead all walking to one ball before going to the next.

Also, standing behind someone who is about to hit his/her shot (i.e. in the line of play) is a big effin no no to me. You should stand to the right/left of the player depending on whether they are a righty or a lefty, so if you can do that that, as opposed to stand directly behind them, then that would be really nice.

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz 8GB GPU: MSI GeForce 970 GTX Gaming 4G Sound: Creative Soundblaster Extreme Gamer SSD: OCZ Agility 3 64GB HDD: 1x 2TB, 1x 1TB, 1x 320 GB Western Digital PSU: Corsair CX 600W Chassi: Thermaltake Aguila

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

Agree with all of you, would be nice to go for a little walk while others are up. While on green, it would also be nice to position myself so that I can learn a little bit about the break while others are putting (Would it be a breach of netiquette to walk through somebody's putt line, I wonder?)

Of course, there are things like in-game chat (typed or audio), to help pass the time while we wait.

Will every player, in a foursome, be able to see what the other players are doing at any time? Will there be 3 other avatars together with me in my game?

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#6 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

Sounds great. I would like a smart cam to finish option though, so I can see where the ball has finished up too.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#7 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yes, happy with the options being offered Andrew, thanks.

Hopefully we can open a camera somewhere on the screen and see the resulting landing shots of the other players too..?

Maybe one for the ball to green shot, suggestion..(multiplayer obviously)

- Player A playing to the green first, once his shot has come to rest and the game moves to the next player B, can player A be moved to a safe area directly behind his ball in line with the pin ? It may mean ensuring he is not visible to the other players within the game, but once the shot is taken and the next nearest is up, you won't see players behind you anyway - so having them invisible until the final players is either within the closest distance or on the green matters little.

It means the closest to the green, on the fairway, doesn't get the same time to view his ball sat on the green (if he makes it). But others gain a decent vantage point of seeing the next shots hit to the green and can begin deciding upon his next shot/putt with less slowdown, improving online play.

#8 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

We have ready play in TW's 08 but it doesn't work the way you describe Andrew, it doesn't let you see others hit the ball AT ALL. You just stand there until it's your turn, like your in the dark, just waiting to take your shot.  Now in Regular play, you watch each person from behind them, kind of boring.

I think your idea might be fun...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#9 Olbluiiis

Olbluiiis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSpanaway, Washington

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

My vote is for the ready golf or 1st person golf. I must commend you for even giving players the choice. Most golf games of the past gave you what they wanted for their game and that was it. A take it or leave it approach, so it's truly refreshing to see your plans.  :-)

#10 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

First person perspective all the way.

What we would need to look at though is that a player can't go wandering over to stand at his ball, especially when he would be between the player playing his shot and the hole, thus looking unrealistic and also possibly causing an obstruction.

Would need some sort of FOV (Field of View) from the player hitting that stops anyone standing within that area.

#11 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Daz, what you suggesting we can't do, was what I tried to suggest we could do above...

Is there really a need to show any other golfers at all though, until it is their turn ?

#12 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

First person but both sound intriguing and different than any other game ever made

#13 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

How about in first player mode when it's your shot you don't see other players. But when it's their turn you view from a sensible location near your ball. Eg. If you're ball is 2 feet in front of the hitter then the camera positions you in a realistic position.

#14 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Daz, what you suggesting we can't do, was what I tried to suggest we could do above...

Is there really a need to show any other golfers at all though, until it is their turn ?

Who knows. Some folks what the moon on a stick as far as Perfect Golf is concerned. They want it to be everything Links TW, JN, WGT, CPG etc. was and then a whole lot more.

Some folks have already asked to actually see other players on the course when playing, to add immersion. This is why I posted what I did (and I will admit that I hadn't read yours prior tot posting).

;)

#15 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

It's nothing new to be able to watch other golfers take their turns on the golf course, TW;s PC has been doing it for years and its always fun to watch the other player as he hit their ball and to follow their shot to see where it goes... Would be like playing by yourself it you couldn't see the other golfers when they swing...

The thing is, when your in the fairway you DON'T get to watch the other player swing, from where your ball is on the fairway, you only see him swing from behind him, which is better then nothing.. This is why I like Andrews idea.

I just don't know if I would call it "Ready Play", that's what TW 08 called it and like I said, most people didn't like that style of Ready Play...

• mjhamilton113 and karma4u like this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#16 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Who knows. Some folks what the moon on a stick as far as Perfect Golf is concerned. They want it to be everything Links TW, JN, WGT, CPG etc. was and then a whole lot more.

Some folks have already asked to actually see other players on the course when playing, to add immersion. This is why I posted what I did (and I will admit that I hadn't read yours prior tot posting).

;)

Yes Daz, I am one of those who want PG to be as good or better then TW's 08, seeings how it is an old game but had a lot of excellent things. I hope PG is as good and better then that was/is...

Trust me, I will be comparing PG to TW 08 from the get go and that will include comparing TW CA to PG CF,, ;)

• karma4u likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#17 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

There's nothing I hate more when playing golf in real life than watching the group ahead all walking to one ball before going to the next.

We have those same darn herders at my home course too... lol

1st person sounds very interesting Andrew---

#18 Harald

Harald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNuremberg, Germany

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

For me also 1st Person sounds perfect and maybe then PP start a Build to test it ;)

I7-6700k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream 8GB,16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200, Enermax Revolution87+ 850 W ATX 2.4, SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Eizo Color Graphic CS270 - 27", Win 10 Pro (64bit)

#19 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

This view from your own ball will work fine for the good players always hitting the fairways. I can imagine though that for many people's shots, I will be staring at undergrowth and will see absolutely nothing!!  :lol:

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#20 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yes, happy with the options being offered Andrew, thanks.

Hopefully we can open a camera somewhere on the screen and see the resulting landing shots of the other players too..?

Maybe one for the ball to green shot, suggestion..(multiplayer obviously)

- Player A playing to the green first, once his shot has come to rest and the game moves to the next player B, can player A be moved to a safe area directly behind his ball in line with the pin ? It may mean ensuring he is not visible to the other players within the game, but once the shot is taken and the next nearest is up, you won't see players behind you anyway - so having them invisible until the final players is either within the closest distance or on the green matters little.

It means the closest to the green, on the fairway, doesn't get the same time to view his ball sat on the green (if he makes it). But others gain a decent vantage point of seeing the next shots hit to the green and can begin deciding upon his next shot/putt with less slowdown, improving online play.

Actually this mode is basically designed to be like an FPS, once you have hit you are free to move around the golf course. You will not be moved to a specific place.  You are in the game and where you are is where you are.  You may have a button that will move you to ball but this would only be available when it is your turn to hit perhaps...The reason we are discussing it now is that it affects how we manage the multiplayer.  Such as approach requires the server to control all the clients so it can tell each client where each player is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users