Photo

Perfect Golf Development

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

So where are we with this? any nearer a release? I'll need a new PC which will cost bucks, though my recent venture in to 'live cam artistic performance' may well scoop me up enough bread to fulfill such purchase - if you've got 'something' no matter what it is, best to try and make sheets with it eyyy!! 

#42 Golfpro1286

Golfpro1286

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:57 AM

Can't wait for this!!! Really hope it is as easy and good looking as the videos make it look...

#43 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the ideas kablammo. I have messed with unity a little but when I golf holes in my head I just start sketching lol.

I have two fictional designs mapped out and drawn to scale on paper. One I actually posted to Linkscorner about 8 months ago just to gain feedback and whether I should attempt in APCD but I decided against it because so much depended on using the real plot of land I had chosen and it's true elevations. This for me was always tricky in APCD and honestly what I'm looking forward to most in CF. For me the terrain importer is going to be a make or break tool because I personally find it fascinating to create a fictional course on an already existing piece of land with real world issues like sharp elevation, ledge, signature trees, and water issues.

I am also very proficient in Photoshop which is great, and have tried doing height maps and course maps and such in there.

I don't see the terrain importer as being the issue for what you want, rather the availability of fine enough elevation detail without the course being locally mapped for elevation.

I thought I'd start becoming familiar with Unity tonight by bringing my local course into it via Bing Maps. I couldn't find it documented how often Bing sampled elevation, but it seems like every 30m is pretty typical in unpopulated areas (this is a unpopulated country area in Australia).

So I sampled elevation every 30m. I was thinking later every 15m might have been optimal, but I don't think the difference would be earth shattering.

You can see from below it's good enough to get the general lay of the land, but I'm going to miss those smaller swales and green undulations.

msxavw4.png

• Erik Lugris likes this

#44 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Nice work, shimonko..

I have gotten many Dems from the USGS site for REAL Courses in the past and we were only able to use Google Earth which IMO never had as good a resolution as Bing Maps. So this is a plus..

However, we never really could see undulations on the greens and fairways and you can't with Bing Maps either.   Mostly what the Terrain Importer(that was developed by the Tiger Woods community) gave you was the  rough elevations and then you do the terrain work for each hole from what you can see in photos etc. if there available.. Shape the greens, the bunkers, the fairways etc yourself.

Of course, this is a all new system so maybe we will be able to get better Dems, that would sure save a lot of work..  So that when you import the Dem into Unity, it may have the greens as there are on the course, without having to shape/add undulations or elevations   to much, yourself...

We always had to flatten this, smooth that, raise this and so on.. Which was a fun part of designing also.. So I hope it isn't all automatic..lol

And since the USGS site has changed how you get Dems, I don't know... Not sure if we will still have to use them to get the elevations or not, if we do, we can email them and they will tell us how to get Dems now, as they have told me before but it was kind of complicated for me.. Now the Dems come in many chunks, not just 1, like they used to. But it is doable.

I am impressed though, from what you have accomplished so far... :)

Looking forward to all this...

Hope I didn't go to far off course/thread...

• Erik Lugris likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#45 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering, the PP guys do exist......

1425628_548011971947545_1246114942_n.jpg

Here taking time out to celebrate the birth of one of the team's (Heinsy) baby boy. Congrats.

Now quit slacking and get back to work!

:D

#46 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

USGS now has downloads available for much of the US at 3m or 10m intervals. Terrain importer will take these files overhead and elevation and give u a height map and ortho rectified image that aligns to it. Many of the courses we have built have come from free 1m data.

#47 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Nice. I guess I can't be too disappointed by Australia's (2011!) 30m data as it seems most other places in the world only have 90m data. 
@axe360, lots to talk about, I'll create another thread in the CourseForge area if I can think of what to call it.

Edit: continued here

#48 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

To Andrew and shimonko, sounds gr888888!!!!!

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#49 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Watching the broadcast from yesterday I come up with a question about "in game/on the green"

... Will there be something  close to the Break Line Indicator that is avbl in Links 2k3 ?

IMHO that is the best IRL/on green/experience I've seen so far ..... I might have missed the subject in the broadcast ... if so I'm sorry ....

#50 Erik Lugris

Erik Lugris

Founder, CEO

• Administrators
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

I completely agree with Daz.  Andrew and I will have a chat with Ivan and Futch to see about getting a steady stream of info in regard to dev happenings.   Maybe we can get Mick on them :)

• fungolfer likes this

Erik M. Lugris

Founder

Perfect Parallel, Inc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users