Photo

Alpha/Beta version... Looking for community input!

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 HeavySwinger

HeavySwinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

I would suggest a mix of paid and unpaid alpha testers.  The paid ones would get discount and or special benefits like the kickstarter had.  I especially liked the in game custom player (special clothing or whatever) only available to the kickstarters/beta testers.  My focus would be on the golf game testing.

Larry

#42 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

I suggest the Developement team select all players to do the beta testing. I also would suggest that at least 1/2 (if not all) of the beta testers be folks who contributed to the kickstarter. (Naturally if that is possible). I would also suggest a combination of Links and Tiger Woods players/designers be included as part of the testing.

Beta testing would be most efficient broken into two groups, Group (Alpha) being game play and Group (Bravo) being Designers who will naturally be using the Course Forge and Terrain Importer. Testers who design and play the game as well be included in both groups.

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#43 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Well.. only 40 replies to this thread so far... some twice, including me.. so..

Go with this group .. nice and varied regarding what we all offer... and unsure what numbers you guys were seeking, allowing possible room to roll it out for more who come along later..?

• Cactus likes this

#44 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

I think that at this stage a smaller group of dedicated testers may be the more productive route to take, especially where the CF & TI are concerned. We're fortunate that we have experienced designers from Links, TW & CPG/WGC as members of this forum who can bring their experience with the different course designers to bear not only in finding bugs, but determining optimum workflows, how well third party software used for terrain/texture/3D object creation interfaces with the CF/TI and even how best to explain the process of using them to the uninitiated. These results could really help in ensuring a positive experience for the newbie designer once the software is released.

On the playing side (which is where I come from) I think it's a bit more wide open as we've all been playing golf sims for some time. There will be those of us willing to spend time actually testing every little thing for bugs and to ensure everything is working as it should. On the other hand, those who are more into just playing may offer good input on the gameplay itself, the different swing methods, the physics and what they feel would improve/advance the game's development. It can all be good. In the end I'm just glad I don't have to make the choice of who does/doesn't get to be involved. I just hope I'm on of the ones chosen. :) 

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#45 Tresclub

Tresclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I would most prefer to see the makers handing out chores to their testers, like a teach assigns homework to his class: "For the next two days, please focus on the swing meter and tell us if the speed is okay, too quick, too slow and if the snap is too wide or too small, etc…). This strikes me as the most productive way to make progress.

Great idea !!!

Warren

PerfectGolfMember2.jpg 

“You only live once, do it right, and once is enough."

Windows 10 Home 64-bit |Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz | nVidea GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 | 2/Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD | Corsair 600cx PwrSup
BenQ ZOWIE 27" 1ms LCD HD | DirectX 12 | Realtek High Definition Audio | HD Pro Webcam C920

#46 Bluengold34

Bluengold34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

I would have to agree that a smaller group that can give back consistent and useful information is probably the best way to go -

#47 miziuno007

miziuno007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

Personally I'd prefer to pay to test! Just feel u guys should get some dollars for doing something you love doing and the community has been waiting for! Cheers guys!

#48 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

I'm not sure, but I think the mail from Andrew was for BETA testing PG. This thread is for ALPHA testing. And Alpha testing with a small number of people really makes sense.

Depending on the number of kickstarters, that still might be a good idea for the BETA testing. I'm pretty sure that the Devs will find a way that fits for all of us :)

Who cares...

#49 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:27 AM

It is all in the title of the topic..

#50 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

Kickstarter facts reminder:

Goal: $300K • Pledged: $19'770 • backers: 311

I did back PP with a Kickstarter pledge, but I don't think that Kickstarter backers should be preferred for Alpha testing.

And this clearly is Alpha stage, for Perfect Golf at least, from what we saw on the Q&A stream. The CourseForge might be a Beta.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#51 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Kickstarter facts reminder:

Goal: $300K • Pledged: $19'770 • backers: 311

I did back PP with a Kickstarter pledge, but I don't think that Kickstarter backers should be preferred for Alpha testing.

And this clearly is Alpha stage, for Perfect Golf at least, from what we saw on the Q&A stream. The CourseForge might be a Beta.

I believe the KS backers should be preferred, because that's what was indicated to them so many months ago once the KS failed.  Seems to me to be bad form to tell the KS backers that they'd get into the testing and then go back on that representation.  And that's probably a prime group anyway - many of the KS backers (like myself) have decades of experience in PC golf gaming. 

Given that I've developed courses as far back as JNSE and was in the top 10 on Case's Ladder when Links ruled the golf world, I'll throw my name in the hat to test both of these.  Given I work for a living, if I had to pick one I'd choose the game and not the designer. 

#52 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'd like to put my name forward too (especially for CF!)... 

Personally, I think that if you were prepared to pledge to the kickstarter then there should be no issue in paying a small fee to take part in the testing, as long as there is some token of appreciation given back from the developer when the game is released.

Gary

#53 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Let's split hairs, Blackadar, shall we? This is a quote from the very mail that AJ sent to all the Backers after the Kickstarter limped into oblivion:

"If you would like the opportunity to be selected to beta test, and start creating your own golf courses for Perfect Golf and work with the likes of us, then click on the link and provide your email."

Aaah, classic AJ, ever the commitophobe, always leaving escape routes open… So we earned the right to have the opportunity to be selected.

In plain english: We could or could not be selected. And either way is as was promised to us.

You, Blackadar, should be selected. Not on the merit of your KS pledge, but because of your track record in computer golf.

• nightowl likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#54 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Let's split hairs, Blackadar, shall we? This is a quote from the very mail that AJ sent to all the Backers after the Kickstarter limped into oblivion:

"If you would like the opportunity to be selected to beta test, and start creating your own golf courses for Perfect Golf and work with the likes of us, then click on the link and provide your email."

Aaah, classic AJ, ever the commitophobe, always leaving escape routes open… So we earned the right to have the opportunity to be selected.

In plain english: We could or could not be selected. And either way is as was promised to us.

You, Blackadar, should be selected. Not on the merit of your KS pledge, but because of your track record in computer golf.

That's fair Kab, but I'd say that interpretation ignores the spirit of the email from AJ.  It was pretty clear by the overall tone that the KS backers would be given at least extra consideration for any testing.  At least that's the way I read it and I believe that was also posted on the old forums as well.  But they're going to do what they want to do and that's certainly their right to do so.  After all, it's not like it was written in concrete or anything.  There certainly is room for interpretation.  :)

I'd like to be selected, but it won't be the end of the world if I'm not - nor would it impact my buying decision.  I think I have something to offer an alpha/beta test, but if others are better able to contribute to building a better mousetrap, then I'm all for them getting the testing spots.

Besides, I don't think my PC golf skills are quite what they once were.  But man, I remember being able to own the ball in Links 98.  There's one mountain-type course on that (was it Bountiful?) that I still have never been beaten on in over 50 ladder matches.  :)

#55 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ah, Bountiful… nice, flowing, undulating little course..

Anyone ever played Devil's Island? Drove me mad, that one. (Off topic self-incrimination!)

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#56 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Ah, Bountiful… nice, flowing, undulating little course..

Anyone ever played Devil's Island? Drove me mad, that one. (Off topic self-incrimination!)

Yep, many times.  We'd use that course to weed out pretenders in the top 100 on Case's Ladder back in the day.  You'd get someone who could shoot a low score on Baniff and think they were a great player.  It was possible to game the Case's system a bit by playing lesser players on easy courses.  So you'd put on DI with hard fast greens and they'd shoot 85-90.  A score like that would ensure someone wouldn't get invited to the tournaments or move up the ranks much more.  

It was useful that way even though I hated that course.  It just wasn't fun.  It was goofy golf.  

#57 Volker

Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSehnde, Germany

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

I´m no good to design courses, but I play Links since it first came out in the 90s. So I would like to be a beta tester, no matter if paid or unpaid.

Steam would be a very good platform for this-:)

#58 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

I would love to but I think you should keep it small and base it on experience and technical knowledge, maybe even do online interviews through Skype lol

#59 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

I got to 16 in the world on cases ;) 8th on jeeps ladders ;P

#60 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

Steam would be a very good platform for this- :)

I'm not very up to date on the internet anymore. Can someone tell me what Steam is? I have heard it mentioned many times lately but have no idea what it is.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

0 user(s) are reading this topic