Photo

Alpha/Beta version... Looking for community input!

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

This was posted on steam for a new indie game...might be an idea.

It certainly would be an idea and something I'm sure many in the community would be willing to support and report on bugs and stuff to help make PG what it could and should be.

On the flipside, Early Access games (which are basically still in ALPHA/BETA state) usually are offered at a discounted price from what the final release will be. Joining the Early Access means you will get the final release build at no extra cost, so what some folks do, is buy the Early Access because it's cheaper and then not actually play it, then just wait until the game becomes a final release, log in, get their updates, and they have basically saved on the price of the full game, but not joined in with any of the testing, lol.

B)

#102 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

I would be more then happy to be a beta tester. I am also retired and was a beta tester for links 98 and Tiger woods. As far as what to do about charging to be a beta tester that would be fine with me. I also build high end computers.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Silverstone ST1500 1500W ATX
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
1x LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner
1x LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Player
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

#103 truckerkills

truckerkills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

I also am retired and would love to be a beta tester depending on price ;)

#104 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

all this for $29.99.. I'd say that's a long wait Daz.

We estimate that reaching Beta version with all key features present will take more than one year from current stage. All features and plans listed here are subject to change, we may add or remove features as seen fit during development process.

What the developers say:

“DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.”

#105 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

TA,

I haven't played DayZ, but I do know of folks who have just purchased Early Access titles just so they are getting it at a discount, and have no intention of playing the ALPHA/BETA builds and will just sit and wait for a v1.0 and in the meantime continue playing other stuff.

Each to their own I guess. What some folks will do to save a few quid/bucks, lol.

:D

#106 cnddavis

cnddavis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

Golf gaming is great for myself due to the fact the body no longer physically allows the real game.  As an avid and above average golfer i learned a great deal about the game, certainly not a pro but I know most of the shots.  Gaming is pretty phony in this area. WGT's ball flight is strictly wind driven, no left or right game produced by the player.  Realizm is a must, price needs to be better than WGT's pricing, I've been a member there about a year now and have spent about 300 dollars playing their game.  They offer a free game but it's not as attractive to play as upgrading clubs to move into different levels.   I would think twice about the money I've spent and will curb that.  I would love to be a part of your testing program but will not approach the financial levels I've just described.  I'm ready for better gaming let me know!!!

#107 Maverick44p

Maverick44p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

How do I play?

Mike B)

#108 clint

clint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

I would like to test. I do this for LINKS courses. So the game would be my first choice. But I would like to start designing so Course Forge is interisting too.

clint

#109 stanlucas74

stanlucas74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWesterville, Ohio

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hi all,

I have not had any experience with creating courses, but have had quite a lot of experience with different virtual golf games...including WGT. I work, but spend hours not working on computer...which is quite a bit. I have computer skills, but not a programmer or anything. Someone like me would represent the more "basic", yet intelligent, demographic. 

My point is that you should include folks from all "walks of life" to get a true feel for what your product can do and how it performs. If you require a payment to be a tester, I think that that just that amount shouldn't come off the final price. I think that, based on your actual participation, you should be able to greatly reduce your final cost to play and create.

I also think that you should chose some people with experience with different OS. I run a dual boot Windows 8.1 and an Ubuntu on all my machines. It would be nice to have a product that I could use in either OS, in my case. I know a lot of people also have Macs, but I personally don't care for them...although I have one of those too. Also, as a last note, testing should be done on machines with lower capabilities as well...to see what the minimums would be for a machine to effectively run the programs. I am sure that you all have thought of all of these things.

I am looking forward to playing this game, and everything that it entails. Whether I would be chosen for testing, that is up to you.

• fungolfer likes this

#110 dkdutton

dkdutton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Be glad to Play, Pay, and Say. But to Acrilix's succinct point, not to the detriment of the broth... ;)

#111 SJude

SJude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

What ever you ant tested I'll test it CF, PG, all of it, just let me get my hands on it soon.

Jude

#112 sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

I too would like to be a Beta tester. I have played many golf games since Micro$oft golf on the Amiga, including the Links series, Jack Nicklaus 6 and pga2000 on the PC. Links on Xbox, everybodys golf on PS3 / PSP. TIger woods series, Shot Online and Golfstar.

I would be keen to test out any/all types of swing meter that may be in the final game.

#113 ArisFuser

ArisFuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Oh man,...this is dedicated wholeheartedly to YOU.

8ZYNp.gif

#114 Marketing Guy

Marketing Guy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

??
Hmmm?

#115 WeedWhacker141

WeedWhacker141

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

If it came down to picking testers, I think a good idea would be to start with the people that made a pledge on Kickstarter. (If you still have that info)

#116 Doudar1361295165

Doudar1361295165

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUp North in the UK

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

If it came down to picking testers, I think a good idea would be to start with the people that made a pledge on Kickstarter. (If you still have that info)

Agreed.

Doudar.png

#117 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

Fair point.

And a few constructive posters on this forum who knew nothing of KS too ;-)

#118 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

I think whatever the choice, PP devs, should pick people based on their golf knowledge. After all this is going to be a golf game and those helping to shape final product should have full knowledge of physics and rules of golf, as it pertains to the game. I'm sure that after reviewing feedback the guys at pp could weed out the golfers from the non golfers. That being said i would love to participate in any capacity. I just cant get enough golf on computer or in real life. I know many of the posters in here from the game that recently met it's demise. Most are great gammers and people. PP needs input that is directed at the betterment of the product, and not self serving input that can come from people just wanting an arcade game.

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#119 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

I think whatever the choice, PP devs, should pick people based on their golf knowledge. After all this is going to be a golf game and those helping to shape final product should have full knowledge of physics and rules of golf, as it pertains to the game. I'm sure that after reviewing feedback the guys at pp could weed out the golfers from the non golfers. That being said i would love to participate in any capacity. I just cant get enough golf on computer or in real life. I know many of the posters in here from the game that recently met it's demise. Most are great gammers and people. PP needs input that is directed at the betterment of the product, and not self serving input that can come from people just wanting an arcade game.

And just exactly how are they supposed to do that? Will we be required to take a test? I can tell you I'm an expert on all phases of golf both real and computer but it doesn't make it so. ;) If you listen to each and every person singing their virtues for being beta testers, it would lead you to believe that we are all experts in the field.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#120 LasseThid

LasseThid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMölndal, Sweden

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Just to comment on the paid early access, the amount paid could be used as a discount once the game is released. That way you wont have a bunch of people buying the game cheap without helping to develop the game, as they would have to pay more to get the full version, i.e. pay $25 for the early access and then another $20 or $25 once the game is completed (for a $50 game). Perhaps you could also make the early access version stop running once the "final" version is complete?

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz 8GB GPU: MSI GeForce 970 GTX Gaming 4G Sound: Creative Soundblaster Extreme Gamer SSD: OCZ Agility 3 64GB HDD: 1x 2TB, 1x 1TB, 1x 320 GB Western Digital PSU: Corsair CX 600W Chassi: Thermaltake Aguila

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users