47 replies to this topic

#21 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'm dying to get my hands on a dozen 'Penfold Commando' balls.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#22 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:40 PM

Oooh, get you, big spender, lol. You're talking some serious golf ball there Ian.

586bf2cdac65cf6fcb6f30d91138193a.jpg

• IanK and jdeedler like this

#23 jdeedler

jdeedler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:41 PM

All good stuff...:D

What about skill levels?  Will there be leveling at all or is it straight up just shot against shot no in game skill matters?

Basically will you be able to make a custom golfer that's a power hitter or a more accurate hitter or a better putter...etc...

Or will every one be the exact same copy?

Either way it doesn't matter much, but it's fun to be able to mess around a little with characters.

Corsair 750D case / Windows 10 64 bit / Intel i7 4790k w/HT Devil's Canyon  4.0 ghz ( over clock to 4.8 ghz. 4.4 cache )

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Board Z97X / 8 GB HyperX Savage 1866 DDR3 / Asus 460 GTX 1GB  ( 4GB total with 3GB shared )

240 Gig HyperX Savage SSD / 750 watt Antec PSU / 1 TB WD HHD  / Water cooled with Phobya LT 400 kit

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-4292-0-08760700-1443733851_thumb.jp
  •  

#24 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

The game offers skill levels with regards to assists that make the snap area bigger/smaller and make the snap miss penalty more/less than the default. It is then down to the individual as to how good they are at the game. There are no 'skill sets' where you apply skills to certain areas of the game. Club distances have been arrived based on Trackman data that has been gathered, so everyone is on e the same page as far as how far the ball goes is concerned.

How well folks play the game is all down to how well you control your chosen swing method, but this doesn't stop a MAX/MAX player having a competitive round with an OFF/OFF player as just because someone is MAX/MAX doesn't mean they shoot lights out all the time. This setting may allow them to find breaking par a challenge par much like the OFF/OFF settings do for the other player.

Game also allows handicaps to be applied, so you could play head to head with someone and give or receive shots on the respective holes.

• jdeedler likes this

#25 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

I have been playing Golf games since Intellivision Golf(1980), Atari Golf, Leaderboard (1986), Mean 18(1990), etc and have watched them evolve over the Last 30+ years.  My favorites would be Jack Nicklaus 4/5 & TW06w/course creator ( which i still have ). I stopped around TW06 and have not found another game I liked that had a Course Creator.

Compatible with Windows 10 64 bit.

The swinging/animation of the the club and reaction of the ball whether Driving, Chipping, Putting, etc..

Real ball physics is a must not instant hole in ones, strange bouncing, etc....

A full array of shots Fade, Draw, Punch, Stinger, Chip, Pitch, etc with any club I want would be nice. Being able to control tee height, ball placement in stance, controlled club face contact with ball high, low, left, right... 

Atmosphere would be the next thing I need to feel like I am on the course trees moving in the wind, realistic weather, overall graphics, sound, etc..

Full character customization meaning face, body, hair, clothes, shoes, clubs, balls, skills ,etc...

Reliable Servers to play on would be good as well with game rooms, settings, stats, records, decent UI, etc..

Full Course editor and creator that's simple to use.

The ability to practice offline Driving and Putting would be a plus.

And of course being able to choose complete gameplay settings for match play

I am sure I can come up with more just sitting here, but those are probably some of the major things I am looking for.

Just going by your list, there are more pluses than minuses. Also, the developers have stated they are working on adding or improving some of these things.

• jdeedler likes this

#26 jdeedler

jdeedler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

How well folks play the game is all down to how well you control your chosen swing method, but this doesn't stop a MAX/MAX player having a competitive round with an OFF/OFF player as just because someone is MAX/MAX doesn't mean they shoot lights out all the time. This setting may allow them to find breaking par a challenge par much like the OFF/OFF settings do for the other player.

Game also allows handicaps to be applied, so you could play head to head with someone and give or receive shots on the respective holes.

That sounds good hopefully in tournaments there will be a standard all must use or even in the gameplay settings before starting a round.

Corsair 750D case / Windows 10 64 bit / Intel i7 4790k w/HT Devil's Canyon  4.0 ghz ( over clock to 4.8 ghz. 4.4 cache )

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Board Z97X / 8 GB HyperX Savage 1866 DDR3 / Asus 460 GTX 1GB  ( 4GB total with 3GB shared )

240 Gig HyperX Savage SSD / 750 watt Antec PSU / 1 TB WD HHD  / Water cooled with Phobya LT 400 kit

Attached Thumbnails
  •  

#27 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

That sounds good hopefully in tournaments there will be a standard all must use or even in the gameplay settings before starting a round.

Yes, Tournaments will allow the moderator to specify all the round settings for tees, pins, stimp meter, wind, gimmes, mulligans and skill settings. So even if a player entered the tournament lobby with a particular skill set, the tournament settings automatically default to the tournament required settings.

#28 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:38 PM

That very much depends on whether you're looking for a golf simulator or an arcade game. If you want to shoot scores in the high 50s to low 60s choose TGC. If you want a real challenge go for PG and use the excellent motion swing. I constantly score above par but I enjoy ever minute of PG.

Again, opinions vary.  I would not consider TGC an "arcade" game anymore than I would consider PG a golf "simulator" (you need real golf clubs for that  ;) ).  I'm certainly not scoring in the 50's and 60's in TGC nor in PG on Max/Max.  However, PG does offer more difficult swing modes than TGC which definitely appeals to players like yourself.  :)

-MERACE

• karma4u and tlvx like this

#29 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:00 PM

I funded all my early golf by finding and selling balls at my local course when I was young.

There was no bigger downer than scrambling through brambles, or wading into a pond only to find a Penfold Commando at the other end!!  :angry:  :lol:

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#30 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:04 PM

Again, opinions vary.  I would not consider TGC an "arcade" game anymore than I would consider PG a golf "simulator" (you need real golf clubs for that  ;) ).  I'm certainly not scoring in the 50's and 60's in TGC nor in PG on Max/Max.  However, PG does offer more difficult swing modes than TGC which definitely appeals to players like yourself.  :)

-MERACE

I like this post, because - in the end - scores in the 50's and 60's (at the top of the leaderboards) are just the reality of video golf games. There will always be at least a handful of extremely dedicated users, that devote a good bit of time and effort, towards figuring out how to master the required discipline... by hook or by crook. (If this game had a controller swing, than a more fair swing comparison could be made, to other games that have controller swings, as well.)

At the other end of the spectrum, there will always be users that - despite playing a prolific amount of rounds of golf - are never fully are able to compete near the top of the leaderboards.

Most users fall somewhere in-between, within that spectrum; and, just want to play a fun golf game that - at least on occasion - can feel very rewarding... when they pull off that miracle shot, or sink an unlikely putt to win a match.

I say, there's no reason not to at least try out both golf titles.

#31 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:15 PM

Here's my take...i own both games but play TGC much more at this time. Mainly, because it fits well with my routine and the way i want to play right now (controller).. That said, this could change dramatically within the next few months..

The thing is, to not buy this game at the price offered..IMO...would be a huge mistake...

Don't listen to fanboys of either game...'cause they are after all just fanboys..and really can't see much beyond their nose.. ;)

I know that both games will keep my interest for a very long time...

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#32 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:37 PM

I say, there's no reason not to at least try out both golf titles.

Only reason I can think of is money. Some folks are very particular how and where they spend their money and often when there is an option to pick from in a certain gaming genre, they only want to buy one and not all.

#33 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:25 PM

I 86'd TGC off my hard drive a while back.  One day last week, I was bored to tears and fired up TGC on my XBOX.  I didn't even get past the opening screen as I realized I was going to be hitting every shot with perfect 100% power.  I shut it off and played some PG.

• robbiet71 likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#34 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:42 PM

I 86'd TGC off my hard drive a while back.  One day last week, I was bored to tears and fired up TGC on my XBOX.  I didn't even get past the opening screen as I realized I was going to be hitting every shot with perfect 100% power.  I shut it off and played some PG.

That is absolutely funny, if not ridiculous... :wacko:

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#35 jdeedler

jdeedler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:56 PM

Well I have the settings bars all in the middle atm and its working fine I turned on a few options too.

The game plays really nice so far.

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

Attached Thumbnails
  •  

#36 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:09 AM

@Crow - I know what you mean about TGC.  Not long ago, I saw a TGC competition called speed golf.   The idea, I guess, was to see how fast you could finish a round and still post a low score.  Playing at breakneck speed, they were still scoring below par. 

#37 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:25 AM

@Crow - I know what you mean about TGC.  Not long ago, I saw a TGC competition called speed golf.   The idea, I guess, was to see how fast you could finish a round and still post a low score.  Playing at breakneck speed, they were still scoring below par. 

I'm sure there are plenty of people who could shoot under par at breakneck speed on PG with all the aids on too!  ;)

#38 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:33 AM

IKR?  And that's the hardest TGC gets!  LOL

#39 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:49 AM

IKR?  And that's the hardest TGC gets!  LOL

Actually, if you believe that then you DKR! :P  

#40 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:05 AM

Actually, if you believe that then you DKR! :P  

Well, whatever.  I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you.  I have my opinion and you have yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users