#2 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

Nice to see you keeping it on the short stuff Volker.

This will keep kablammo11 happy.....you hope!

#3 vfe

vfe

Mac Overlord

• Administrators
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

It's clear I should not be allowed within 500ft of a putter.

• Davefevs and karma4u like this

#4 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

I'm glad you added the following under the Vimeo clip, otherwise I could foresee K11 doing his nut, lol:-

Development testing on a Mac.

Keep in mind this is a very old mac :), hence the stuttering.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#5 vfe

vfe

Mac Overlord

• Administrators
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

Yeah, it's a 2009? iMac, really old, but serves my purposes for testing.

#6 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

Yeah, it's a 2009? iMac, really old, but serves my purposes for testing.

That's cool V.

If it will run on a 2009 spec machine, it can only be good news for newer hardware.

;)

#7 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

Great,

You putt just like me :D

Win  10 64bit

#8 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:47 AM

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see the swing meter on my screen :D

The tempo looks nice. Ball seems to disappear after landing? Is that just in the video?

You guys are doing a great job!

Who cares...

#9 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

Nice to see you keeping it on the short stuff Volker.

This will keep kablammo11 happy.....you hope!

As you well know, Dave, I'm a hard man to please… PerfectHappiness™ will eventually occur when it is me calling the shots. But I take this as a welcome foretoken of the remote chance of the distance possibility of me, one day, being made capable of not making such a meal out of my short game.

Thanks, Volker! Or to stay in the mood of the french video title: Merci beaucoup, c'est très gentil de ta part.

But rather than debating my emotional household, in which the glass never is half full and always half empty, there are a few minor points of a technical nature that warrant debate:

- The ball tracer is a bit too dominant; I hope there is an option to reduce its opacity to around 15% or so

- The flickering of the tracer while putting is very irritating. (Immersion-destruction)

- The positioning of the swing meter in the bottom right is, I hope, optional

- The ball snap on the swing meter (6'o'clock) seems to be covered up by the design. On purpose?

- 3-Click again? What of the 4-Click?

- Did I spot an aiming post overlayed over the swing meter for a few frames?

- And of course, the post-shot inserts did not exactly make sense all the time...

Just giving feedback here. You must be aware of most of this yourself. Just thought I'd mention it to cover up how gloriously happy I am. Or am I?

• Davefevs likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#10 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

I think you are 49.99% gloriously happy. 50.00% happy would be too much!!!!
  • Kablammo11 likes this

#11 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

Is that novice meter speed?  looks awfully slow.

#12 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, tell us more regarding settings used... default setting I guess.. ?

Guess we're at the Alpha/Beta stage too..?

#13 CSR

CSR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

I just drooled a little bit.

#14 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Drooled or dribbled?

#15 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

- The ball tracer is a bit too dominant; I hope there is an option to reduce its opacity to around 15% or so

I have always thought that in the displays PP has shown Kablammo but have always put it off as being overdone to help us see what is going on.

When I finally get to play the game I HOPE that I would have the Option to turn the Tracer OFF and just show the Ball.

That is how I play Links now.

Jerry

PS. In the videos shown so far I see that the Club to use is ALWAYS manually chosen by the game player. Is there no Caddie Setting to choose/suggest a club for the shot? Or if not is one being considered?

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#16 vfe

vfe

Mac Overlord

• Administrators
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see the swing meter on my screen :D

The tempo looks nice. Ball seems to disappear after landing? Is that just in the video?

You guys are doing a great job!

Just the video, after the ball "stops" the "halo"/tracer fades away, so it blends into the grass more, doesn't disappear.

I have always thought that in the displays PP has shown Kablammo but have always put it off as being overdone to help us see what is going on.

When I finally get to play the game I HOPE that I would have the Option to turn the Tracer OFF and just show the Ball.

That is how I play Links now.

Jerry

PS. In the videos shown so far I see that the Club to use is ALWAYS manually chosen by the game player. Is there no Caddie Setting to choose/suggest a club for the shot? Or if not is one being considered?

Yeah, tell us more regarding settings used... default setting I guess.. ?

Guess we're at the Alpha/Beta stage too..?

Just default developer settings.

As you well know, Dave, I'm a hard man to please… PerfectHappiness™ will eventually occur when it is me calling the shots. But I take this as a welcome foretoken of the remote chance of the distance possibility of me, one day, being made capable of not making such a meal out of my short game.

Thanks, Volker! Or to stay in the mood of the french video title: Merci beaucoup, c'est très gentil de ta part.

But rather than debating my emotional household, in which the glass never is half full and always half empty, there are a few minor points of a technical nature that warrant debate:

- The flickering of the tracer while putting is very irritating. (Immersion-destruction)

- The positioning of the swing meter in the bottom right is, I hope, optional

- The ball snap on the swing meter (6'o'clock) seems to be covered up by the design. On purpose?

- 3-Click again? What of the 4-Click?

- Did I spot an aiming post overlayed over the swing meter for a few frames?

- And of course, the post-shot inserts did not exactly make sense all the time...

Just giving feedback here. You must be aware of most of this yourself. Just thought I'd mention it to cover up how gloriously happy I am. Or am I?

I think Andrew stated this awhile ago, but the current swingmeter is just for developer testing atm, when it comes to UI elements, practically nothing if what you see in our videos is going to be in release, though for the swing-meter we still haven't finalized the direction yet, we're going to try and collect a lot more feedback first.

• fungolfer likes this

#17 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Just got an idea about the post shot .... Its like every other game ... its centered to the screen ... but not to loose the feeling that you are playing golf, and stay with your eyes on the course, how about make the post shot as a frame that appears on the sides .... ???

Attached Files

• IanD likes this

#18 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

Here's something for discussion... and if in the wrong place, let me know whether to start it elsewhere ; (because I know there is a Swing Meter thread, but at least we see it operational here)

The Swing Meter

Currently we see it working, and filling in yellow, until it goes into overswing and changes to red (as shown below). It then retraces the upward swing back toward the small golf ball with the cursor displayed. This would be the sweet spot, where we'd all seek to make the vital 3rd click.

2sacyva.jpg

And, as many have suggested, there are many ways of changing this to enhance or become realistic, in the art of taking a golf swing. We've heard of the 4 click method, which tries to engage some spin or open/close club face etc etc. (this isn't about any powerswing though). So.. whilst watching the above video, I wondered if there was a way of illustrating another suggestion. This would make things a little more original.. maybe more so than realistic, but when do we ever have a golf meter in real golf anyway..

Suggestion

I've shown the meter and added a golf ball which now covers part of the lower area of the meter. You will see I've removed the central part of the golf ball to make visible the sweet spot, used to hit the perfect snap.

What I'm trying to suggest, is that when the downswing occurs, it isn't viewable in the area covered by the golf ball.

This means, you will have to get more of a feel for when the downswing tempo occurs. It encourages you to gain a fluid swing, knowing where and when to click once you master your own tempo. Granted, you may still see the final area where it displays whether you clicked successfully (the cut out), but not that final 20% where it matters. That is where you're own tempo and swing become a little more original.

2va1eus.png

So the above is the default covering.

-

Below is a change, because what you are seeing is how you're looking to put backspin into the shot.

Naturally, you'll look to hit the ball at the base, and therefore this now covers more of the downswing, restricting the final 40% visible, except for the sweet spot cut out to show you where you finally clicked.

iqv3ar.png

Above is the backspin covering.

There would be almost no difference between either shot when using your own tempo to gauge when to click the final perfect snap. However, the feel or fear of not seeing when to, adds to the game.

Hopefully I've explained it and shown it clearly. Maybe more can be added or improved, but in general, when you want to get a little more creative with your shot, aside from your stance (or maybe that can be added in some way), the ball address is something to think upon?

Interested to hear thoughts... dismissive or otherwise..

• Dazmaniac, Tigers Agent and Tazz like this

#19 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Ian,

I'm liking the idea of the vital snap zone being hidden and having to rely on the tempo/feel of the swingmeter to 'nail' a shot. Obviously the tempo would need your PC to be able to handle the swngmeter without any jerks or judders, otherwise any of the click swings will be a handful.

In real golf, you are never gauranteed your swing will catch the shot 100% from the sweet spot, and your idea seems to offer the opportunity of adding this in to the mix. Some will see it as 'hitting blind' no doubt, but then they can go off and use the standard swingmeter.

As always, this would be nice as an added option, a sort of Ultimate level, and still let the folks have the option of the standard everything in view swing meter.

One thing I am not keen on, is the swingmeter starting the swing from the 3 o'clock position. When I look at a swingmeter, I see the power gauge as if I was looking face on at a right-handed player making a swing. So the swing for me should start at 6 o'clock, the backswing goes up through 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 to 12 and a little beyond for overswing, then the downswing comes back down anti-clockwise back to the hitting point at 6 o'clock.

See pic below. Image 1 (left) is the starting 6 o'clock position. Image 2 (middle) is the 12 o'clock top of the backswing position and Image 3 (right) is the return to 6 o'clock and the snap/hitting point. The swing never starts from the 3 o'clock position.

NYC_hip_shift.jpg

Still, early days and nice to see some actual gameplay going on. Gives us all hope, lol.

B)

• IanD likes this

#20 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

Thanks Daz... wondering how best to name the suggestion.. Tempo Swing I guess, as that is mainly what it's seeking to achieve.

• Those that regularly play a course using specific or favourite clubs , can opt to lay up to the green, knowing a full swing using their selected club gives them the best chance to be accurate with the Tempo Swing.

• It becomes a challenge to us all to be accurate. In Links2003, the missed snap saw greater accuracy loss as the level of Pro vs Champ vs Elite increased. Distance was also affected in that game. It allows options similar but not as perhaps as penalised as Links. Many played Pro because the ability to recover your shot existed, and still score well. Champ mode was one where the level was almost right, but not quite. Popularity wasn't good at that level though.

• The Golf Ball itself doesn't need displaying once the swing begins. However, it could be a good addition to knowing your lie and knowing what is possible to achieve. If you played a shot into the rough, then trying to play a shot obscuring more of the downswing could exist.

• I'm sure the guys here at PP spoke of the 4th click regarding either the position of the sweet spot or the open/close club face (can't recall exactly what). If you look ahead to further updates regarding this Tempo Swing, if the ball revolved vertically (downwards) after the 3rd snap click, then trying to use that 4th click could become a later addition to the Swing Meter.

Granted.. all this wouldn't detract from those wanting the mainstream Swing Meter with no frills. It's purely an option for the game, likely after an initial release.

--

Daz, as to your suggestion regarding see the upswing start at 6 o clock instead of 3 o clock, I think you'd need to see for yourself to understand it likely isn't as viable as you think. I know I've seen a meter doing exactly as you suggested, and found it not quite right. It's difficult to describe but it really hasn't the feel, when suddenly the upswing is beyond where you'd likely control it far better performing the upswing yourself.

In my opinion, I like the 3 o clock... but again, options is the word here. Maybe the actual ability to move the starting position could be introduced. This totally allows you your own Tempo and Control. The ability to move the starting position of the where the upswing starts... wouldn't that be something...?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users