• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 Steve

Steve

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

FixAmer1st, I took those screenshots with the Print Screen key. I don't have any video capturing software on my work PC, but it is something I could look into.

#122 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Yikes looking at the elevation change on 14 you might want to ease up a bit ( or a lot) on that. Not sure of the settings  for the game of course  but anything  set with some firmness and speed I would think that would make it almost unplayable. * See my last post referring to everyones a critic ;)

#123 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Looking really good Steve, well done.

John

Win  10 64bit

#124 Steve

Steve

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hey guys. The course is getting really close to complete. I took Sirputterman's advice and flattened out the green on 14 a bit. After playing it in PG I realized it was a little ridiculous. I also went through again and decreased the sizes of pretty much all of my greens. I'm just going through now and doing a bit more texture painting.

Attached File  1_27shot01.PNG   968.86KB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_27shot02.jpg   99.63KB   0 downloads

#125 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Looks gorgeous Steve. very private country clubish and serene.

#126 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:40 AM

Hey Steve your doing great so far. I know you must be thinking I'm a pain in the rear. I only make suggestions and it's up to designers to do what they want with them. Either they can see what I suggest may hold some  truth or they in fact intended the  effect the way they made it. Anyways I noted in the one elevated green pic  it looks like the back edge and right side towards the edges seem to be lower then towards the middle of the green. Yes while some sloping is good for natural drainage you have to becareful of  getting a "turtle back" effect. You know raised in the middle and then everything slopes off. Its hard to tell in a picture of course exactly how much "fall off" there actually is. If in fact this green dictates a shot played to the middle and sneak up on a par then fine. However again being an elevated green and  unless its an extremely short iron to the green  I would think the trajectory of the ball may be a bit low otherwise and come in "hot".  If thats the case  having fall off at the back and to the right side may play  a bit harsh.  I took the liberty of  using your green and putting arrows  showing what I mean. Again with out actually playing it this is just  a guess at best but I do have a pretty good eye for this type of thing. Anyways Keep up the good work and please don't take offense in my posts. I only offer what is  my opinion in hopes to make the course play as realistic and yet as  enjoyable  as possible. What you do with it after  that is totally your choice.   

Attached Files

#127 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:09 AM

Hi Steve,

Are you & Brian having a race to see who can finish first?

It looks like your almost finished & it's also looking very good.

I suggested to Brian that he did a "flyby" of his favourite hole & post it on the 'video' page, can you do this as well ?

It might give "us followers'" a better idea / feel for what you have created.

As I said it's looking really good :)

John

Win  10 64bit

#128 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Looks gorgeous Steve. very private country clubish and serene.

Same impressions here.  Sweet layout Steve..lot of imagination on display.

#129 AlanR54NC

AlanR54NC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hmmm....no where close to an official announcement, but I did pick up on this comment from Steve:  "...After playing it in PG...."

so appears to be some form of a working prototype in place  :)

Intel Core2 Duo E6750

4GB Ram

Win 7 64 bit

ATI  Radeon 5700

#130 brummer

brummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

Sirputterman - maybe he is inspired by pine hurst number 2 with his choice of green profile.

#131 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Nice job Steve. Course is looking good!

Ken

#132 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:44 AM

that is possible brummer and that is why I did mention maybe it was his intention to play a certain way. I also mentioned it is only my opinion and of course it's up to Steve to decide what he does. Sometimes though you may over look something like this as a designer but if it's pointed out you then can go back and see if it is an issue. If it plays the way you feel you want it to then fine. Then again sometimes when you take another look you think hmm I never noticed that before. I know designers can be a bit sensitive to their projects as they put a lot of time and effort into them. I have designed for sites for the TW08 pc game and I know after weeks and sometimes months of hard work you get a little thinned skin about someone thinking something may not be right. I also know though if you miss something then lots of people will remind you later after it is released and all the time and effort seems to have been for naught just because of one bad pin or something that "wasn't quite right" if you look  at the course a bit later with a players point of view  you may see it should have been obvious to you in the first place. That is the only reason I may make an observation or a comment. If it saves the designer the frustration of feeling it was a good course but not a great course then mission accomplished.           

#133 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

I think way too much emphasis is being put on whether Steve's and Brian's courses looks perfect or not. It was my impression that the intended experiment was to see what type of results someone who wasn't a (professional) course designer could come up with in a reasonable amount of time. From what I've seen it would seem the experiment was a resounding success! I now have hope that just possibly I can come up with something decent myself!

If Steve IS a professional course designer than kindly disgreard everything I just said. ;) Between the two of them both designing a courses I often get confused as to what their credentials actually are.

• Keith likes this

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#134 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Awesome, well done Steve, that's a great step on the victory!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users