• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 mhammer113

mhammer113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

If that's his first attempt that is very impressive and his progress is coming along very rapidly. I cannot wait to see what this looks like with a panorama and plantings. The green complexes are even superb
  • Erik Lugris likes this

#82 flinty125

flinty125

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNottingham, United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

If that's his first attempt that is very impressive and his progress is coming along very rapidly. I cannot wait to see what this looks like with a panorama and plantings. The green complexes are even superb

Agreed , maybe with 1 or two adjustments it could be a course in the alpha edition , any plans on renaming the course of Steve ?

• Erik Lugris likes this

#83 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

S,

Is the layout in the clip a prospective CF design you are planning to take on? Looks good.

Thanks but none of my artistry - it was just a terrain import with a Bing map overlaid when I was playing around before.

Whether I take it on just depends on time availability, also it's a pretty well known course so PP may have already even done it, or someone else will :)

#84 BladeUK

BladeUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

It's true that I'm not a CourseForge novice. I have quite a bit of experience with it. I have, however, never designed a course before.

I'm done with the height modification with the exception of some slight green editing to do. I've started planting and texture painting on hole 1 in order to give you guys the look I'll be going for with the course. I want my course to have beautiful water edges and lush, green foliage. I plan on getting pretty close to the fairways with the trees because I really like the feeling of shooting through a narrow lane of trees. (hole 1 might not be the best example) Some of my fairways are rather wide, so I hope to leave less room for error by bringing in the trees close to the holes themselves. I plan on using a lot of rocks near the water's edge because it's one of my favorite looks on the courses I've seen.

attachicon.gifhole01.PNG

Steve,

That green should be where the tees are, and the tees where the green is!

Dave.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#85 Steve

Steve

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

I'm back to work today of the Course of Steve. I've settled on Boulder Springs for a name because it's the first name I came up with that wasn't returning Google results of existing courses. I'm almost done with placing rocks... There are a lot of rocks. Planting and texture planting are coming along as well.

Attached File  1_20shot01.png   1.1MB   5 downloadsAttached File  1_20shot02.png   1.08MB   4 downloads

• Erik Lugris likes this

#86 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Steve, I hope you will be planting lots of bushes/grasses as well as the trees

• Erik Lugris likes this

#87 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Why is there a line around the rough on the left in that 2nd pic?

• Erik Lugris likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#88 Steve

Steve

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

That line was just because I cut a hole in the rough using the fairway cutout tool, so the blend was wrong. I switched the cutout to rough and re-meshed it, so that line is gone.

Attached File  1_20shot03.PNG   235.01KB   5 downloads

• Erik Lugris likes this

#89 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Looks great..hope I can approach that level of skill in time.  Keep us updated Steve.

#90 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Nice going Steve, what about some undergrowth or mulch areas under some of the trees? Looks a little bare in there in some places.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#91 Steve

Steve

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Taking everyone's advice I've started to add some bushes under the trees. The first two shots are of the 4th hole, in which that can be seen. I still have about half the course to plant.

Attached File  1_20shot04.png   1.13MB   4 downloadsAttached File  1_20shot05.png   1.23MB   3 downloadsAttached File  1_20shot06.PNG   837.32KB   5 downloads

• Erik Lugris likes this

#92 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Steve, wondered if you might have a rough estimate of how many hours you have devoted to your course up to this point?

• Erik Lugris likes this

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#93 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

That line was just because I cut a hole in the rough using the fairway cutout tool, so the blend was wrong. I switched the cutout to rough and re-meshed it, so that line is gone.

attachicon.gif1_20shot03.PNG

Was this an error on your part, or a problem/limitation with the CourseForge?

btw. The extra bush planting is looking good, but I think you may have overdone that rock edging to the water. Maybe it needs breaking up here and there rather than a continuous line following the river. It looks a bit unnatural in that last pic.

• Erik Lugris likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#94 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

Was this an error on your part, or a problem/limitation with the CourseForge?

btw. The extra bush planting is looking good, but I think you may have overdone that rock edging to the water. Maybe it needs breaking up here and there rather than a continuous line following the river. It looks a bit unnatural in that last pic.

And in that last picture, is that fog I see coming in from the water Steve?

Jerry

• Erik Lugris and Davefevs like this

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#95 mhammer113

mhammer113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

I have two questions but first I must say this is spectacular...

How long has this taken you? I know this has been asked

And how is your computer handling all the work including shadows and movement around the course? With that said is your computer super powerful?
  • Erik Lugris likes this

#96 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Looks really good and I'm sure we really appreciate the regular updates.
  • Erik Lugris likes this

#97 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:07 AM

just an observation Steve from the two pics on Monday the one on the right with the "tree island" in the fairway. If your going for realism you may want to tone down the side slope on the right side of the fairway. The reason I'm suggesting this is because you won't find that much of a side  slope/ grade normally in such a short distance in real  life  courses,simply because of mowing issues. Yes there are "floating mowers " but even they will scalp or miss  spots with quick height variences. Also drainage or erosion can be a factor if your course is in a rainy climate location. I know a bit nit picky but just a suggestion. When i do play golf games I look at such subtle things as I mention and say to myself nope this doesn't have  a realistic feel to it. It is good to see you taking this on and putting up with "being under a microscope" Oh and btw if you do design courses on a regular basis get use to that feeling. Because   everyones a critic :) 

• Erik Lugris likes this

#98 Steve

Steve

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Hey guys. I'm back to work today. I'll just take a second to answer your questions from yesterday.

I've been working on the course for about 25 hours so far. I'm not sure how much longer it will take, but the most time consuming was the actual layout. It took about 12-14 hours for that because I've never done it before so it was a lot of referencing and resizing.

In response to Acrilix, it was my error that led to the line in the picture. The fairway would never actually blend right into the terrain, so the default blend looked weird when it was trying to do so. The blend is changeable, so you could potentially have the fairway match the terrain. But for playability reasons, all the other parts of the hole are wrapped in our rough meshes.

FIxAmer1st, that is fog. I put it in place to create a better sense of depth and also to make the edge of the water and the skybox blend more easily.

mhammer113, the machine I'm using here has an i5 3570K, an Nvidia GTX550Ti, and 8GB of RAM. It's having absolutely no issues running the project now. The shadow distance and clipping plane are both set pretty high but once I lightmap the course the shadow distance can be turned down, increasing performance even more.

Sirputterman, thanks for the advice, I will look into that fairway. Mike's already warned me about the safety of the greenskeepers :)

• Erik Lugris and Davefevs like this

#99 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

I have no doubt you will have an answer, but a question for the Devs, if Course Forge is advanced enough for Brian and Steve to create a course whats the hold up on releasing it to the public or at least to those chosen as beta testers.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#100 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

Hey guys. I'm back to work today. I'll just take a second to answer your questions from yesterday.

I've been working on the course for about 25 hours so far. I'm not sure how much longer it will take, but the most time consuming was the actual layout. It took about 12-14 hours for that because I've never done it before so it was a lot of referencing and resizing.

In response to Acrilix, it was my error that led to the line in the picture. The fairway would never actually blend right into the terrain, so the default blend looked weird when it was trying to do so. The blend is changeable, so you could potentially have the fairway match the terrain. But for playability reasons, all the other parts of the hole are wrapped in our rough meshes.

FIxAmer1st, that is fog. I put it in place to create a better sense of depth and also to make the edge of the water and the skybox blend more easily.

mhammer113, the machine I'm using here has an i5 3570K, an Nvidia GTX550Ti, and 8GB of RAM. It's having absolutely no issues running the project now. The shadow distance and clipping plane are both set pretty high but once I lightmap the course the shadow distance can be turned down, increasing performance even more.

Sirputterman, thanks for the advice, I will look into that fairway. Mike's already warned me about the safety of the greenskeepers :)

Nice to know it won't take a super expensive system to run this.  Thanks for the info.

• Erik Lugris likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users