karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:44 AM

PP vs HB 

Hopefully both will be able to co-exist. I for one will support both. There just seems to be so much more discussion and enthusiasm on the HB site, i would wish the same here. Each one seems like they have so much to offer the online golf community i really want both to succeed. At this time however it looks like the community has shifted to HB. Is this because people think that it will be a superior game, or simply that they seem to be ready to release a game sooner. As stated, i will support both. However, i think that feedback from the community would be appreciated by both parties. Thoughts please...........

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#2 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

i will also be playing both,been a while without a new game why not a double dose

can only enhance the online fun. i really dont care which is out first as im addicted to the golf

games and will support both. in reading the HB forums it appears they to be further along.also there main interest seems to be in bringing the game to market either without beta testing their course building system or they have it figured or are going to roll it out after the 1st release the answers to that may be there but i have not been watching that forum. how ever there is so many from their team on the forums and answering questions it seems much easier to get  solid answers instead of having to guess what is going on in development 

• karma4u likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#3 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

I think there are a number of the HB Studios TGC community who are not even aware of PG. I think even one of the HB Developers stated he had not heard of Perfect Golf.

Also, HB Studios have back catalogue of games they have worked on and released in the past so folks will know who they are and what they have done, whereas this is PP's first foray in to the virtual gaming world.

I will definitely hope to try both, but whether I buy both depends on how the play. If TGC sticks predominantly with the analogue controller method, I can't see myself playing their game.

I also hope both games see a release and both are supported well by their respective communities.

;)

#4 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

Looking at both games, I see TGC as being a TW replacement and PG as being a Links replacement. They will, therefore, appeal to a different type of player, but there will be a small group within the crossover that play both.

As Daz says, HB are a well established game developer, and a larger company and will definitely get a 'finished' game out well before PP. I would also imagine that HB Studios will capture a much larger share of the players looking for a new game than PP.

• IanD likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#5 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

I'll remain here and wait for a game that will for sure provide a meter.  I will only speak of PP golf in this PP forum.

#6 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Couldn't have said it better Acrilix..

I'm tempted by it... but the controller and swing types are a concern. It doesn't appear to be designed with the PC in mind.. more a console vision. Unfortunately, I'm no teenager..

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this

#7 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Couldn't have said it better Acrilix..

I'm tempted by it... but the controller and swing types are a concern. It doesn't appear to be designed with the PC in mind.. more a console vision. Unfortunately, I'm no teenager..

Again, the developers have stated that they plan on including a mouse swing upon release of the game and  they will be fine tuning it in the closed PC beta.  The 3-click method has not been ruled out but like JCauthen has stated the developers wanted to stay away from meters and go with a more "feel" incorporated swing.  A TrueSwing/Real Time Swing mouse movement definitely meets their goal of a "feel" swing.  

I'm also far from being a teenager (I'm 58) and I've easily adapted to using the Xbox 360 controller.  The use of the thumb on the analog stick is a fair emulation of the golf swing as is possible in a virtual golf game.  If I can do it anyone can do it.    :wacko:

However, I respect the people that prefer the mouse as a controller on PC and hope that the mouse controller in TGC will meet or exceed expectations.

-MERACE

#8 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Merace, fair opinion and comments my good sir.

Out of curiosity, what game allowed you to adapt to the XBox controller...?

#9 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

I love the Xbox controller and use it on a few PC titles. Links 2004 on Xbox was a classic and would have converted a few PC diehards had they given it a try.

#10 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

lol... nah... I did try it on a friends XBox, and wished I hadn't recommended it to them.. but that's the fun of what consoles are... expectation. Mine was higher than his..

#11 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:07 AM

IanD, 

I started on the Xbox version of Links 2004 and continued on using it in the TW series on Xbox 360.  

I still believe that the swing in Links 2004 represents the best implementation of tempo and rhythm in a virtual golf game (the chipping and pitching could use some work to improve on).

-MERACE

#12 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

I would have no problem swinging the ball in a PC game with a console game controller. I played many TW vintages on my PS2 that way. I certainly would prefer that to a true swing kind of mouse movement input method.

I believe HB is making a mistake if they decide to stay away from clickable swing meters. Like them or hate them, it's a staple of computer golf. It has to be in there or something is missing.

• Sinewiz likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#13 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

I don't think HB is making a mistake by leaving out clickable swing meters. I think it is outdated and the most unrealistic method there has been to represent playing golf. At least the back and forth movement of an analog stick is a reasonable representation of a golf club's movement. If anything, I think PP are making a mistake by making the click swing their main focus in Perfect Golf. The one positive I do see from this though is that clicking is a nice simple method of input for the mobile app market where there is money to be made. Even this though would probably be better served with a 'finger swipe' style control to swing now that most people are moving on to smartphones.

Most people in the 30 and under range with a PC will be well used to using a game controller on their PC. There has been much talk about the importance of getting games on Steam for PC in order for them to be successful. Well I'd imagine that most Steam users are already in possession of a game controller. This is the bulk of the PC gamer market. The loss of the dwindling over-40 gamer who is not willing to change with the times is not going to eat into their profits too much. I would imagine the idea to release on PC was made simply because it will cost relatively little to do so if done digitally, having been developed on the Unity engine. The main profits will undoubtedly come from the console market anyway.

I think the TGC game will be a success. I hope the PG game will be too, but if I was looking for a winner, and I was a betting man, I know who I'd have to put my money on.

• MERACE and shimonko like this

#14 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

I would have no problem swinging the ball in a PC game with a console game controller. I played many TW vintages on my PS2 that way. I certainly would prefer that to a true swing kind of mouse movement input method.

I believe HB is making a mistake if they decide to stay away from clickable swing meters. Like them or hate them, it's a staple of computer golf. It has to be in there or something is missing.

Couldn't agree more. If TGC goes the route of analog stick movement so be it, but don't try to lead me to believe that pushing and pulling your thumb recreates a golf swing and more closely than raising and lowering your finger. TGC is promoting analog control for one reason and one reason only. To grab the console market, and oh yea you PC golfers can play as well.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#15 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

There is a world of difference between analog stick movement and clicking a mouse. With the thumbstick you have a direct connection with the movement of the club. Move the stick slowly, the club moves slowly. Pause the stick and the club pauses. Accelerate the stick and the club accelerates. You control, in realtime, the motion of the club, in the same way you would control a real golf club with your arms. With clicking you have none of this. It is simply an on/off switch that you jab at to interrupt a computer controlled action. There is simply no argument as to which is the better simulation of taking a real golf swing.

I understand people who have always played click wanting to continue in this way, but to dismiss an analog realtime swing as being as unrealistic as clicking is just foolish.

• karma4u likes this

#16 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:32 AM

Click meters must die. In addition to Acrilix's reasons, they're also an eye-sore.

Smartphones have such potential with cameras, touchscreens, gyroscopes and accelerometers built in and simply have no real-estate for them. 

HB's 3-click approach has a bit more merit, eliminating the meter but tapping according to the golfer animation, but I'm a believer in innovation, not wasting time in the past to grab a bit more market.

#17 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

Please explain in further detail how the controller works: in addition to pulling a stick back and pushing it forward at a speed that emulates the tempo of a golf swing do you also have to push a button to "strike" the ball and do all of this at the same time?

Those who have grown up playing console video games are used to these multiple actions to play a game with a controller but most "old timers" who have played nothing but 3 click with regards to their golf games are probably going to have some difficulty learning to do this in a manner well enough to play virtual golf at a level they are used to. (including me ;)). Please explain further, if you don't mind.

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this
Ken

#18 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

KenR:

There is no pushing of a button during or after your "swing" of the analog stick on the game pad controller. It's fairly intuitive in that you pull back on the analog stick with your thumb and accelerate forward in a fashion similar to an actual golf swing.

Again, if I can manage a fairly consistent straight shot with the controller anyone can.  ;)

-MERACE

#19 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:23 AM

Click meters must die. In addition to Acrilix's reasons, they're also an eye-sore.

Smartphones have such potential with cameras, touchscreens, gyroscopes and accelerometers built in and simply have no real-estate for them. 

HB's 3-click approach has a bit more merit, eliminating the meter but tapping according to the golfer animation, but I'm a believer in innovation, not wasting time in the past to grab a bit more market.

Harsh lol...

Acrilix' reasons are partially right, in terms of profitability and marketing to the masses. However, that doesn't mean anything other than that must die.. I will always, til the day I turn off the pc forever, advocate options.

KenR:

There is no pushing of a button during or after your "swing" of the analog stick on the game pad controller. It's fairly intuitive in that you pull back on the analog stick with your thumb and accelerate forward in a fashion similar to an actual golf swing.

Again, if I can manage a fairly consistent straight shot with the controller anyone can.  ;)

-MERACE

Simplistic, nice.... almost as simple as clicking a mouse button three times though..

Whether it's a three click by meter or by animation, we seem to be having a discussion surrounding whether the thumb is better than the forefinger lol...

:D

#20 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

Look, some people just want to play and enjoy computer golf without a hassle. They want to outperfrom the most fiercest of real life pros without effort, without years of grueling training, from the comfort of their couch. They want all the gain without any of the pain, pretending to themselves that they just crushed the almighty Tiger Woods 10 & 8 to win the matchplay world championship.

Silly, puerile, facile, yes. But who are we elitist SIM addicts and stern purists to tell them they can't have their little moment of imagined glory? Who are we to tell them they can't have a swing meter because it's too primitive and too easy. Who are we to tell them we don't want any -20 rounds in computer golf any more and that they must abide by our righteous, puritan tastes in all matters?

We have no right to impose our views on how things should be to anybody else. It's also commercially unsound to forsake a swing meter, which by now is a time-honored tradtition of computer golf. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users