#41 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Oy! I feel a bit robbed - it was me who first made the suggestion of using the golfer avatar animation as a swing meter and click to define key points of that swing - here @ PP. Here's the crummy little video I made about that this summer again.

Kablammo11, I hadn't seen your video,nor heard of your suggestion about a meterless 3-click interface until this morning.  I didn't really start following the PP saga closely until December.   I had seen a meterless 3-click swing option in a PC golf game I played back in the early 90's, and though it worked pretty well.  Your video convinced me that it could be a viable option.  If you don't mind, I'll link it in an appropriate thread there and get their reaction?

As to HBS  being Nanny Devs, trying to dictate to us what we should like.  I'm sorry, but I don't see that at all.  They've got to start with a design philosophy somewhere.  I personally like where they're starting from, but I've already seen them being proactive to suggestions.  They started with no mouse control for the PC version, to analog mouse control being a definite, all the way to a 3-click interface being strongly considered.   They've built the game to be expandable.  I'm seeing them making concessions about tournament play, online multiplayer, course textures and objects, to name a few.  Their responses to criticism that they are being too narrow in their design philosophy have seemed anything but preachy to me, but I guess perception is a matter of perspective.

• nightowl, MERACE and Davefevs like this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#42 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

JCat04, you may link my video if you want. Just mention the existence of PP as the fertile nurturing ground for it.

Nuance: I pointed at a warning sign for the Nanny Dev/Design Preacher and gave you one recent and dramatic example for this "most-dreadful-scourge-of-the-adult-gamer-who's-been-around-and-doesn't-need-game-design-besotted-youngsters-talking-down-to-him-about-what 's-what", Diablo 3.

I was mindful to stop short of implying that HBS were like that, I simply spotted what might be a first symptom of this most debliitating of diseases. No need to fly to their defense. (hehe) Yet.  :P 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#43 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Done Kablammo11... and thanks!  Here's a link to the post I made about it.  Please let me know if there's anything you would like for me to add or change about it.

http://www.hb-studio...msg2594#msg2594

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#44 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

Works for me, JC. Only thing: Kindly refer to me by my abbreviated handle: K11

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#45 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

But note how at PP they never went and preached to us about design philosophy, look and feel, about visceral experience and full immersion.

Let's be honest, you're lucky to hear anything at all from PP!  :lol: 

• MERACE likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#46 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

I prefer them working on the game than flooding the forums and do less work on the game. There will be a important time for them to be here: In the beta.

Who cares...

#47 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Works for me, JC. Only thing: Kindly refer to me by my abbreviated handle: K11

Will do and thanks... you did a good job of illustrating that concept in that video.  I'm very impressed!

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#48 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

K11,

I liked it when you originally posted it and still like it better than a Circular Swing Meter for mouse control.

While watching it a few more time just now, I had this brainstorm. The circular motion of the character COULD also be controlled by a RTS type of forward/back (or left/right) mouse movement for those who do not like a click control.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#49 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

Why not, Jerry. Or even by the little scroll wheel?  (Often wondered if a combo of clicks and scroll wheel would somehow work, but my brain is too lazy.)

But isn't a RTS already implemented in this manner? I don't know Dickens about it, but I'm sure I came across true swing modes where the avatar swung back and ahead in sync with the mouse action and gave you a visual feedback. TWO? That's also how I remember my TW console games with the analogue controller stick: Left hand thumb back - golfer swings up… etc.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#50 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

Robbed...lol... not even sure myself who suggested the animated meter. I know K11 actually made one... but wasn't it suggested alot earlier in that thread..? Or was that you K11 earlier anyway...?

• Davefevs likes this

#51 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

Ancient Chinese proverb state - No good idea goes 'un-copied' 

• IanD likes this

#52 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Ancient Chinese proverb state - No good idea goes 'un-copied' 

Does that mean you guys are going to copy it Mike?  :D :lol: :)

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#53 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:06 AM

"Great minds think alike (Fools seldom differ)"

I'm not trying to get this copyrighted, guys. I'm simply mesmerized that my brainfarts all of a sudden come with an echo.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#54 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:18 AM

Some more thoughts on the swing meter:

• The spin/ push bars at the bottom means that up to the first bar the ball will only spin, so snap past the bar results in a push/pull. So it is impossible to just hit a push or block out shot that that goes straight right or left. I'm fine with that as I don't want a 5-click swing.
  • Will the spin keep increasing past the push bar if so the effect is multiplied and can be severe.
  • You won't be able to hit a slice that starts left of your target and cuts back unless you do it deliberate in your setup like in Links.
  • There should be no perfect snap. The best you could do is a very little baby fade or draw, like in real life even a straight shot is never perfectly straight, In Links on a flat green with no wind you could hit 10 hio in a row with a perfect snap.
  • How about tying the meter speed in with the length of you back swing.  Lets say the speed for a normal snap at the top is the same as a 110mph swing speed, then an overswing will make the meter go 5mph faster and a half swing (up to 9 o'clock) will slow the speed down to 55mph. In Links it is more difficult to get a half or 3/4 swing right because the speed is the same and you should not be penalized for taking some off a shot for more control.
  • This should work great for chip shots as well.

Why don't we go radical simulation and scrap the swing meter. Let the golfer animation be the swing meter. I would love playing like this; start you swing, release the mouse button at the top, middle or wherever  of you back swing and snap when the club face is in the hit.  ^_^

Adriaan

I claim copyright, unless someone mentioned it earlier it's mine!!!   :D  :D  :D  :P  -_- 

• Tigers Agent and Davefevs like this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#55 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

lol..

The fact both of you mentioned it within the same thread.... and both are testing the CF Beta.. is that perhaps an indication of something ahead...?

yep..... copyright issues...lol..

#56 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Indeed, highfade's claim is older. Sorry for stealing your idea, Adriaan, and for giving it wings of video.

And no, that's not an indication of anything - please stop doing Kremlinology on us, IanD. We're not insiders.

• Davefevs likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#57 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

lol

#58 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Forgive me bro... lol. I thought someone had been robbed in here... and saw you checking your pockets.. B)

#59 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

This discussion has triggered my brain......I seem to recall downloading a beta of a golf game, something like 'on-golf' where you had to 'trace' your mouse in a curve, to sort of imitate the direction of the swing.

Anyone see this this?

#60 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, remember that, wonder what happened to it?

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users