64 replies to this topic

#41 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

In due time, maybe… but you seem do be doing just fine by yourself, judging from this, and yours is the 1st Decal on record in the history of PP - nobody can take that away from you. Highfade, Prime Decalisator!

(This is a nice little thread, but actually by now it's a few parsecs off topic…)

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#42 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

Have you allowed Tara to chip on the greens? :-)

#43 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Sure. What Tara wants, Tara gets. Tara can do no wrong, Dave. Not Tara… not ever...

But minor and menial  jobs, like creating a series of a few hundred divots in preparation of decals, are rarely worth Tara's time, because the poor dear is always so very busy, to the point of exhaustion, with being generally wonderful… Ah…

So it's Tara's Mexican assistant, Frida K., who would go out and plow the tees and greens with her irons...

IntroducingFrida_zps8217a17d.jpg

• Davefevs likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#44 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Decals are indeed something of a challenge, and one I'm beginning to wonder whether worth it. I still believe the concept of having a mesh inside the parent mesh, would allow for the things such as divots, worn areas of grass etc. I've imported the Decal System and used their examples in placement etc, but I've yet to master anything of my own...

Nice work on those decals though... well done on your progress!

#45 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

I agree, IanD - I somehow had assumed Decals were part of Unity and to my horror I just learned I need to import a new system, with shaders and materials and whatnots… That friggin Decal System just overwrote my Skybox/panorma at import! 

Let's just say that Decals are nice to have but definitely not a top priority for me right now. It' a Unitiy thing anyway… I'm done with everything CF for the time being - 80+% of my project time is used up with Unity this and Unity that...

I even prepped af few divots on a transparent Photoshop file just in case the urge gets me, but I don't think it will soon.

divotcollection_zpsc418e531.jpg

The lower 2 rows are the same as the upper 2, but mirrored horizontally. In theory, you can crop out the one you need in the Decal system from such a file. Meh… too complicated altogether...

Anybody wants the orginal PSD document? Message me. Or mAssage me. Or both.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#46 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

Decals are indeed something of a challenge, and one I'm beginning to wonder whether worth it. I still believe the concept of having a mesh inside the parent mesh, would allow for the things such as divots, worn areas of grass etc. I've imported the Decal System and used their examples in placement etc, but I've yet to master anything of my own...

Nice work on those decals though... well done on your progress!

Ian

The problem with child meshes is that we work with a blended texture, so you have to add your dry patch or divots to one of the textures and it's tough to get a pleasing result. The other problem is you can't move or rotate the texture to fit exactly inside a tee box for example.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#47 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

Are you guys also using the Eidelweiss Decal system? Looks good K11 would like to have to original PSD ;)

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#48 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

Yep - but there's another free one out there… 

Here's the divot file, I hope this works, it's my first try with copy.com…. 

https://copy.com/DArnlEDDXALT

I can't promise you can use it right away, though - there's some psd alpha channel business to add… Also, you will need to adjust the colors to your texture

If this does work, I will soon put up a folder with all my textures and normal maps and so on for everybody to have them. Takes a couple hours to gather the stuff from everywhere and name it properly, though...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#49 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Chris, much appreciated, looks great ;)

#50 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

Looks good highfade. Is the shadow in the divots part of the texture? Like did you have to rotate the divot to suit your light source or the shadows are generated from the light source?

#51 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Looks good highfade. Is the shadow in the divots part of the texture? Like did you have to rotate the divot to suit your light source or the shadows are generated from the light source?

No, the shadow is part of the texture. It's real easy to rotate, scale, move etc.

#52 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

So Edelweiss Decal System - I see there's a free version of a paid version in the Asset store - is that what you used? I might have a play.

#53 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

So Edelweiss Decal System - I see there's a free version of a paid version in the Asset store - is that what you used? I might have a play.

Yip

#54 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

So I made a divot via the Edelweiss thingy - first removed the shadows from the divot photo I found and let Unity put them in so the shadowing will obey the time of day. I think there's promise but this is what I'm not sure of with CourseForge - when a course is exported, does it only export the terrain/meshes/textures or also other assets as such as the Edelweiss scripts and shaders?

Or will CF have to implement their own decal system? I've really only played Links for any length of time, but has any other game scattered the course with a random set of divots at the start of play, affecting lies if you land in one?

I've put the divot texture and its bump map for download below if anyone wants to play.

VFulvmb.png

7hWfjXm.png

lwpoPxz.png

Divot texture file  

Divot bump map

#55 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

Nice job, shimonko!

Re. your question - I'm pretty sure CF exports all the Unity assets also, so that your divot might very well be conserved for posterity. The way I understand it (very superficially) is that at export all the Unity assets and stuff are getting cooked/baked/compacted into one new pile of data, so that all your scripts and thingamajics will make it across… somehow...

Google wont let me see your bump map (?) so I'm asking here: Your divot seems to be lowered horizontally and flatly, without any structure or height difference visible on the (lowered) inside. Call me Picky (that's in fact my 4th middle name - and the least bad of all 12 of them), but the center of the divot should be a bit lower than the front or the back of it.

Still… good stuff!

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#56 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

Excellent shimonko.... thanks for sharing too. It will help me a little in returning to try it again.

#57 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Good point K11, I'll modify the bump. I've tried the link, strangely Google doesn't preview it unless logged into a google account but download seemed to work ok.

#58 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Not having much luck - I think I have still too much shadow in the texture, but it's a little more scalloped:

2jCwmnh.png

New scalloped bump map

• Armand and Kablammo11 like this

#59 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

It's the same for every little bit of progress… trial and error, adjust and re-adjust...

Oh, Frida K told me to say hi to you...

Frida_zps4b2d904a.jpg

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#60 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Looks like some real thick stuff.  Fore left!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users