• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#81 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

I'm not certain, but it is probably noteworthy that with aids turned on (even at minimum?), the spin effects are reduced.  So even getting past 12:00 o'clock may not result in what you expect, since the spin reduction aid(s) kicks in.  You may need to go well past 12:00 o'clock to get additional power / increased spin with aids on.  With the new Tour Pro level, you may have to go to "Custom" and turn off the aids to fully realize the effects of going past 12:00 o'clock.

This is not the case. There is no reduction of backspin at higher levels.

#82 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

That is interesting Armand because based on the comments on this thread I have been practicing over swing shots and I cannot see any significant backspin on the greens playing at Pro Level.  Therefore all the arguments in favor of over swing for creating back spin are flawed since it only applies to zero aids which the bulk of PG players don't play.  So much for realism, since as another poster noted that this gives an advantage to the very best players only.

As mentioned above, this is not the case. Wouldn't make any sense to reduce the backspin at higher levels of play so we don't.

#83 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

Integrating the new animations.

2z56rs4.jpg

33wo0hh.jpg

• MimicPS, Keith, IanD and 6 others like this

#84 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:55 AM

Not sure he needs a Wood there lol...

#85 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:05 AM

Not sure he needs a Wood there lol...

Bad lie for sure .....  and he makes a putting motion to avoid tangling up with the grass .....  right? ;)

#86 sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

What is the 82th shot?

Should be 82nd shot which is what I could shoot on some holes lol.

#87 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

• Harald, catflap, IanK and 2 others like this

#88 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Thanks Mike. Please may I ask, when playing using MS is the appearance of the avatar's swing affected by your mouse movement?
Looks like the avatar's clothes need a good iron.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#89 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Mike. Please may I ask, when playing using MS is the appearance of the avatar's swing affected by your mouse movement?
Looks like the avatar's clothes need a good iron.

The mouse/avatar integration is not done yet so can't comment too much on that. It's highly likely that we will offer the real time swing in addition to the current motion swing rather than a replacement though. 

• Fairwayman, Ron Piskorik, Greensboronclion and 3 others like this

#90 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Mike, that's good news.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#91 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

The fact is that in Links you couldn't put additional spin on a shot so there is no equivalency between MS and RTS.

That's not entirely correct Joe. In Links one can generate more spin and stop, punching the ball. Punchshots in Links (anything from LW to say 8 iron have a big effect on getting the ball to stop and even spin back more, depending on the greens. Playing the 1.07 version this is especially so. I have checked and double checked this and have these shots 'in my bag' in Links. The thing is though, in Links, punching shots results in getting way more distance (flight), up to 20 to 30% even, depending on club selection. The big difference in PG is that punching the ball does not result in getting that much extra distance, only a lower ballflight (which is correct), but does increase the spinrate and thus more stop on the ball. In that sense MS is much more realistic then RTS.

• Greensboronclion likes this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#92 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

That's not entirely correct Joe. In Links one can generate more spin en stop punching the ball. Punchshots in Links (anything from LW to say 8 iron have a big effect on getting the ball to stop and even spin back more, depending on the greens. Playing the 1.07 version this is especially so. I have checked and double checked this and have these shots 'in my bag' in Links. The thing is though, in Links punching shots result in getting way more distance (flight), up to 20 to 30% even, depending on club selection. The big difference in PG is that punching the ball does not result in getting that much extra distance, only a lower ballflight (which is correct), but does increase the spinrate and thus more stop on the ball. In that sense MS is much more realistic then RTS.

Thanks for the clarification, Charles.  In my Links days I must admit I rarely used a punch shot except to get under trees or the wind and probably never when firing at a green other than when playing a bump & run type shot.  As a result I never really saw its' affect on spin.  I stand corrected.   :)

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#93 Arsam

Arsam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Mike for the clarification.  That makes sense, but I can not seem to duplicate it. 

After further testing of back spin using over swing at Pro level I notice that it seem to be effected by firmness setting.  I usually play using a firmness setting of Hard and do not experience any back spin or check up of the ball, but if I use Normal firmness I can get the ball to check up on the green.  I still cannot get it to spin back though.

RTS-Mouse Swing, Pro Level, BLI

HP Pavilion 790-0025T Minitower Gaming PC
Intel Hexa-Core i7-8700 cpu @ 3.2 GHz (Turbo up to 4.6 GHz), 12 MB Cache
64-bit Operating Sys​tem, x64 Based Processor
400 Watt Power Supply
16 GB DDR4-26666MHz 2-DIMM Memory
NVidia GeForce GTX1060 3GB Gaming Graphic Card

DELL D3218HN 31.5" Full HD LED Back-Lit HDMI Monitor, 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz  Maximum Resolution, 4,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

Windows 10 Home Edition, 64 bit - DirecrX v.12.0

#94 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the info Mike and I really like that you guys are thinking about offering the new realtime swing and the current MS swing. To me the realtime is not a big deal as I don't look at the ani when I am making the swing and wouldn't if it was realtime anyway as you really need to concentrate on the swing not the ani. Great stuff and thanks for sharing.

#95 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

Avatar:  Looking good!  Nice to see something fresh...

• GodZilla likes this

#96 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

This is not the case. There is no reduction of backspin at higher levels.

Thanks for clarifying Mike, but I was not suggesting that backspin is reduced at higher levels.  I was thinking that the spin is reduced when the aids associated with lower levels are enabled (i.e., Amateur, Hacker, Beginner and possibly even Pro and TourPro, now that it defaults to off/min).  Therefore, if playing at lower levels that have aids enabled, the additional spin expected when going beyond 12:00 o'clock on the meter may be less than expected.

Forgive my ignorance if this incorrect, as I haven't play much at any level other than Tour Pro/Custom (off/off).  When aids are introduced - the new Tour Pro level is defaulted to off/min (or is it min/off??) - I thought the spin was reduced to help players hit the ball straighter.  So, perhaps it's only the side spin that is reduced with the aids enabled?   I'm going to have to read up on what the aids affect, since it's highly unlikely I'm going to start playing at different levels!  :)

#97 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for clarifying Mike, but I was not suggesting that backspin is reduced at higher levels.  I was thinking that the spin is reduced when the aids associated with lower levels are enabled (i.e., Amateur, Hacker, Beginner and possibly even Pro and TourPro, now that it defaults to off/min).  Therefore, if playing at lower levels that have aids enabled, the additional spin expected when going beyond 12:00 o'clock on the meter may be less than expected.

Forgive my ignorance if this incorrect, as I haven't play much at any level other than Tour Pro/Custom (off/off).  When aids are introduced - the new Tour Pro level is defaulted to off/min (or is it min/off??) - I thought the spin was reduced to help players hit the ball straighter.  So, perhaps it's only the side spin that is reduced with the aids enabled?   I'm going to have to read up on what the aids affect, since it's highly unlikely I'm going to start playing at different levels!  :)

No the backspin spin is not reduced but the spin axis (which is what causes the ball to curve) is reduced which is why it is easier to hit straight with the assists on.

#98 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

Thanks again, Mike!

#99 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

Thanks again, Mike!

No problem :)

#100 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

Just a comment about the screenshot showing the avatar getting ready to chip and a question after watching the video.  For chipping, I think the avatar should be more upright with a closed stance.  In regards to the video I'm wondering if there will be any animation post swing.  It appears just from the one video that the avatar holds his finish the same as the current avatar does.  Other than that looking forward to the new animations. 

RTSM - Pro

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users