105 replies to this topic

#1 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

Any idea when the next round of CF testing will begin? I'm getting more eager and impatient by the day seeing some of the awesome courses that have been released so far. 

#2 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

Good luck with that.....I think that's along ways down the road.

#3 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:37 PM

To be frank, I missed the last go-around because I was consumed with battling several tick-borne diseases. I'm finally doing well enough to feel I can get back to learning and designing.

#4 lefty1948

lefty1948

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:33 PM

Welcome back, glad you are doing better.

#5 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

To be frank, I missed the last go-around because I was consumed with battling several tick-borne diseases. I'm finally doing well enough to feel I can get back to learning and designing.

Send the devs a PM as it appears many were granted access AFTER the initial go around... you never know.   ;)   Also, glad you are feeling better.   

#6 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

I sent a PM to MJ four days ago that has not been read yet, not sure which other devs I should message.

#7 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

MJ is the go to for CF. Only other Dev you could try would be Andrew.

#8 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

I'm leaving Andrew a message as I write this. Also this blurb about how I became interested in doing real courses that I spontaneously constructed while writing to Andrew.

I actually have a GIGANTIC list of courses that could be worth building and their architects, at least 650 and counting. I started the list hoping it would be a personal influence and help build a solid base for constructing good fantasy courses, but it has just turned into a pastime. Some of them are so good and so relatively unknown that it rekindled a higher interest in real courses.

If I had to pick a single course to start with, it would be Essex County Club by Donald Ross (with its incredible back 9), Rockaway Hunting Club by A. W. Tillinghast (with a great stretch of holes 6 through 15 mostly along the water), or perhaps the Seawane Club by Devereux Emmet (with its diverse array of bunker shapes and placement as well as drivable waterside par 4s). These three course names are tossed around very little but all are spectacular courses in their own right.

If someone wants to tackle any of those three delightful courses, go ahead and have a blast!

#9 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:29 PM

Still no response from a dev. A simple no or vague answer would be appreciated at this point.

#10 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:42 PM

Still no response from a dev. A simple no or vague answer would be appreciated at this point.

My suspicion is that they may be tied up with Masters stuff. At least they were at this time last year.

• Adam T1 likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#11 Wendy445

Wendy445

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:24 PM

Don't hold to much hope on asking the question, I asked weeks ago and had no reply... Simple yes or no would have been nice but still not even acknowledgement of my email.

#12 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

I'm sure they have their reasons for not releasing CF.  It'd be interesting, though, to list all the different explanations for the delay.  Off the top of my head, I remember:  (1) wanting to upgrade the software to the new Unity; (2) making the CF more user friendly; (3) having to decide whether to charge for user courses; (4) having to resolve copyright issues; and (5) making the CF more user friendly (again).  And that's what I recall at the moment.  I'm sure there were more reasons provided over the past two years.  I imagine they'll release it once they run out of reasons NOT to release it.  ;o)

#13 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

I'd just let the people who are using CF continue to build courses and release them to the public and not release CF. It's pretty obvious that there not all that interested in releasing it to the public anytime soon. The beta testers they have now seem to have a pretty good handle on how to build nice courses and are releasing them fairly fast, so why not just let these people have the access to CF and everyone else can just play there courses. I'd say only a small percentage of people will even have a clue how to use it anyways...LOL.

#14 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

I'd just let the people who are using CF continue to build courses and release them to the public and not release CF. It's pretty obvious that there not all that interested in releasing it to the public anytime soon. The beta testers they have now seem to have a pretty good handle on how to build nice courses and are releasing them fairly fast, so why not just let these people have the access to CF and everyone else can just play there courses. I'd say only a small percentage of people will even have a clue how to use it anyways...LOL.

And how is it fair that only a "select few " would  ever get their hands on it? Sure those that have got it are doing great but does that mean no one else deserves a chance too?

Sorry  but if they go that route then frankly the odds of me staying interested in the game goes pretty much down the crapper. I have no issue with paying for it as an add on if the price is reasonable but to not have access or rather  only a few having access to it doesn't seem fair. Some people have more time to commit to it and yes they deserve to have the first shot but that doesn't mean those of us that don't have that option don't deserve to be able to muck away at it at our own pace. 

Creating courses is what really interests me and the actual game playing is second. No CF and as I said I will probably lose interest in the  game.  

Honestly I don't know what the hold up of releasing CF is. My understanding was the whole pay to play user made courses was the  stumbling block a few months ago  from releasing  CF or at least it was the primary issue, but that seems to be resolved (or is it?) so  what is the hold up now? 

No disrespect meant  but  for those of us on the outside looking in it is getting more then a bit frustrating  when obviously the thing does work or else beta testers wouldn't be able to design and release courses would they. Not asking for trade secrets here but an update to what or why it hasn't been released to the masses or if in fact we will ever get to use it would be appreciated and could go a long way towards alleviating some of the frustration level.        

• Griz891 and tlvx like this

#15 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:06 PM

Has it has been stated in the past, more folks will find issues with Unity 3D more than they will with CF (which is a downloadable asset package to be used within Unity 3D).

I think a lot of folks will come to try CF, as and when PP make it available, and be frustrated, not because CF is hard to use, but because they have little or no expoereince with using Unity 3D. I feel the angst from some folks over not having access to CF, but they can save themselves a lot of heartache, by learning Unity 3D and its nuances well before CF is available.

You can actually do a lot of the course creation work without CF. Create plot, import heightmap, overlay terrain image and do the elevation fine tuning and even plant trees and 3D objects. CF will just be need for overlaying texture meshes, adding pins, tees and hazard markers and creating the actuazl file to make it playable in PG.

• Joe Habiger likes this

#16 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

Has it has been stated in the past, more folks will find issues with Unity 3D more than they will with CF (which is a downloadable asset package to be used within Unity 3D).

I think a lot of folks will come to try CF, as and when PP make it available, and be frustrated, not because CF is hard to use, but because they have little or no expoereince with using Unity 3D. I feel the angst from some folks over not having access to CF, but they can save themselves a lot of heartache, by learning Unity 3D and its nuances well before CF is available.

You can actually do a lot of the course creation work without CF. Create plot, import heightmap, overlay terrain image and do the elevation fine tuning and even plant trees and 3D objects. CF will just be need for overlaying texture meshes, adding pins, tees and hazard markers and creating the actuazl file to make it playable in PG.

Here here   Well pointed out  Daz 

Your spot on, folks would do well to get started following above advice

#17 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:14 PM

And how is it fair that only a "select few " would  ever get their hands on it? Sure those that have got it are doing great but does that mean no one else deserves a chance too?

Sorry  but if they go that route then frankly the odds of me staying interested in the game goes pretty much down the crapper. I have no issue with paying for it as an add on if the price is reasonable but to not have access or rather  only a few having access to it doesn't seem fair. Some people have more time to commit to it and yes they deserve to have the first shot but that doesn't mean those of us that don't have that option don't deserve to be able to muck away at it at our own pace. 

Creating courses is what really interests me and the actual game playing is second. No CF and as I said I will probably lose interest in the  game.  

Honestly I don't know what the hold up of releasing CF is. My understanding was the whole pay to play user made courses was the  stumbling block a few months ago  from releasing  CF or at least it was the primary issue, but that seems to be resolved (or is it?) so  what is the hold up now? 

No disrespect meant  but  for those of us on the outside looking in it is getting more then a bit frustrating  when obviously the thing does work or else beta testers wouldn't be able to design and release courses would they. Not asking for trade secrets here but an update to what or why it hasn't been released to the masses or if in fact we will ever get to use it would be appreciated and could go a long way towards alleviating some of the frustration level.        

I definately feel your frustration as well. I don't get it either why courses are being made for the public but yet no sign of CF ever being released anytime soon. This frustration is what drove me to purchase The Golf Club in october just so I could design courses. Now it's come to the point that I could care less if CF ever comes out or not. Which is really sad because months ago before I purchased The Golf Club I kept thinking that CF was coming out anytime. Although the interest for me is gone, I wish they would at least give the people that are still interested in it some sort of timetable about if and when it's going to be available. But for me, the interest is long gone and I'm very happy using the designer in the other game now. I wish everyone luck and there dedicated patience on the CF. I hope you hear from Mike or Andrew soon about what the estimated time of arrival it's going to be released.

#18 sandybunker

sandybunker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

Would be nice to try it out but it's on the backburner for me given the quality of the courses being released just now. I suppose if you bought this game for designing then i see peoples point in being frustrated but it was secondary for me... Just an added bonus whenever it does come to the masses.
  • cajuncapgun likes this

I7 3770k

8GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 670

240GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD

#19 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:43 PM

As a tester, let me give you this advice: Learn to make landscapes in Unity first with some degree of competency, and then show off your work, because that is 90 percent of it. Believe me, I asked several times, but only after I demonstrated that I could work in Unity that I was finally accepted.

Course Forge is a very small part of the overall process.

And no, I do not think it should be left to the devices of a few, because that simply punishes those people who come late to the party. I didn't become a proficient Links designer until the game had been out for nearly 10 years.

• Stephen Sullivan likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#20 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:04 PM

Well, I remember getting an email after the Kickstarter initiative failed. It assured us that the developers were eager to get the Course Forge into our hands. That was over two years ago. Nothing about restricting CF to an elite group of designers. From the beginning, IIRC, CF was marketed as a tool to introduce everyone to the enjoyment of course design. Personally, I heeded the advice about getting acquainted with Unity. That was over a year ago. Since then, I've spent time getting reacquainted with Unity due to the CF delay. I'm sure I'll have to do a third round of Unity intro since CF is still delayed. At this point, I think I'm wiser just to wait until the darn thing is released before I do anything else. I wouldn't even bet CF is released before 2017.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users