105 replies to this topic

#21 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:30 PM

It might be a diversion I put on myself, but I think they are working on how to crack "the pot bunker"-issue

Stay cool ,,, I might "Go Unity" after all .... 

#22 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:31 AM

Well, I remember getting an email after the Kickstarter initiative failed. It assured us that the developers were eager to get the Course Forge into our hands. That was over two years ago. Nothing about restricting CF to an elite group of designers. From the beginning, IIRC, CF was marketed as a tool to introduce everyone to the enjoyment of course design. Personally, I heeded the advice about getting acquainted with Unity. That was over a year ago. Since then, I've spent time getting reacquainted with Unity due to the CF delay. I'm sure I'll have to do a third round of Unity intro since CF is still delayed. At this point, I think I'm wiser just to wait until the darn thing is released before I do anything else. I wouldn't even bet CF is released before 2017.

I too tackled Unity when it was first stated that coming to terms with it would be important. I putzed around for about 2 months on it but without CF I let it slide after that as it did seem kind of pointless not having a way of actually making a course to play. That was well over a year ago so yeah I have forgotten almost everything about it.

It felt like owning a farm without a tractor, sure you can plan on what your going to plant and on what fields your going to plant the crops, you can plan the crop rotation to prevent diseases  but without a tractor to pull the air seeder or to till the fields then it's kind of pointless. 

Without CF it is about the same thing. I'm a hands on kind of guy that likes to try different things and then see what the results are  but without CF that can't be achieved, so again kind of pointless.

• Keith and ✠ davef ✠ like this

#23 cockneysteve

cockneysteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Locationhttps://t.me/pump_upp

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

Many people including myself would love to be able to get to use CF that can`t at the moment in view of it not being released to everyone.

I guess there must be good reason why this is the case, but, due to the fact so many are discussing the issue it would seem reasonable that either Mike or Andrew would just inform the community why, then all the assumptions and guesses could be avoided.

My apologies if the Devs have already given the reasons why, I haven`t seen any from them on this issue.

#24 rwmorey

rwmorey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

If much of the design stuff can be done in Unity can someone published some tutorials on how to import height maps, etc. ?

#25 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

As a tester, let me give you this advice: Learn to make landscapes in Unity first with some degree of competency, and then show off your work, because that is 90 percent of it. Believe me, I asked several times, but only after I demonstrated that I could work in Unity that I was finally accepted.

Course Forge is a very small part of the overall process.

And no, I do not think it should be left to the devices of a few, because that simply punishes those people who come late to the party. I didn't become a proficient Links designer until the game had been out for nearly 10 years.

I was late to the Links design scene as well. Mike did eventually ask me if I wanted to have a go at CF ( after much not too subtle prompting from myself ), but at the time I had experienced the deaths of 4 people who were either family or close friends and my mind wasn't really on it, so I declined.

As it stands,there really isn't much point in me designing for a game that doesn't really cater for powerstrokers like myself, as I never liked the click swing and found RTS unenjoyable. I haven't really taken to the current motion swings either and feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall when commenting here  :(

Posted Image

#26 cockneysteve

cockneysteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

If much of the design stuff can be done in Unity can someone published some tutorials on how to import height maps, etc. ?

There is a very good Tutorial posted by shimonko on how to import an Overlay and Heightmap.

http://www.perfectpa...ap-and-overlay/

I was able to follow this example and without too much difficulty get the Overlay and Heightmap into Unity.

The problem seems to be without having Terrain Forge or a very costly program it would appear difficult to get the Overlay and Heightmap in the first place..

If there is another way, then that would be the Tutorial many people i`m sure would like to see.

#27 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

There is a very good Tutorial posted by shimonko on how to import an Overlay and Heightmap.

http://www.perfectpa...ap-and-overlay/

I was able to follow this example and without too much difficulty get the Overlay and Heightmap into Unity.

The problem seems to be without having Terrain Forge or a very costly program it would appear difficult to get the Overlay and Heightmap in the first place..

If there is another way, then that would be the Tutorial many people i`m sure would like to see.

Precisely my issue. If I could get an overlay I'd still be able to get to work with planting and shaping the land, but without it, it's a total lost cause to me. That is, if you're hoping to recreate real courses.

#28 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

I don't have any idea what the actual criteria for being chosen is.... at this stage I'm not sure there's any more new testers being brought into the group. I'm just telling you what I did to get selected, which was show some design work in Unity and posted a few screenshots of something I did with a few grass textures I borrowed from a Links course. I can't promise or guarantee anything at this point. 

There's been very little happening with Course Forge in terms of news or updates... we are all more or less using the same program we were since the 5.0 to 5.1 update happened a few months ago.

There is one later version that a very small group of people have which has the custom flag utility in it. I don't have that version yet. As far as I know that's really the only significant update that has been made, and it should be fairly close to being ready for public release. Only the devs know for sure.... it would be unwise for me to speculate on anything at this point.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#29 cockneysteve

cockneysteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

The speculation could easily be stopped with either Mike or Andrew simply updating the community on why CF cannot or will not be released,job done.

In any situation, good communication prevents speculation.

• Stephen Sullivan and Keith like this

#30 DriverDivots

DriverDivots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

The speculation could easily be stopped with either Mike or Andrew simply updating the community on why CF cannot or will not be released,job done.

In any situation, good communication prevents speculation.

I could be wrong, but I thought they already did speak to that matter?  I thought CF was being released when the full version of PG is released.

#31 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:18 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought they already did speak to that matter?  I thought CF was being released when the full version of PG is released.

Well, I don't know what the difference is as we don't know when that is going to happen either, right? 

#32 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:26 AM

Unfortunately, that statement is very old and things have changed.  The idea of a subscription for user designed courses is now obsolete, courses are being released by the CF beta testers in really pretty large numbers.

What is holding up the release of CF, I don't know. But from following all of the posts in the private sector, it's quite obvious that the developers aren't ready. Is the reason technical or business, I don't know nor can I say. I do know that Andrew and Mike have some reason. As others have indicated, it would be nice if they would indicate why and put the community at rest. Yes, I know that if the reason is disclosed, many may not agree, but then again it's Andrew's and Mike's call, not ours.

• cockneysteve likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#33 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:33 AM

The software obviously works; as it has been regularly producing working courses. So... there should be no further hold up.

Without giving a legitimately good reason to continue keeping a working piece of software within the confines of an exclusive club; it just doesn't seem right.

This elitist approach to development is preventing this game from reaching its full potential. Far too many things are being done in a my way or the highway fashion; despite many issues being pointed out... and frankly, it's leading to a lot of sloppiness, particularly when considering that the game has been in Early Access for fourteen-and-a-half months, so far.

Does the process have to be perfect? No. But, can it be better than it is? Absolutely.

#34 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:02 AM

The software obviously works; as it has been regularly producing working courses. So... there should be no further hold up.

Without giving a legitimately good reason to continue keeping a working piece of software within the confines of an exclusive club; it just doesn't seem right.

This elitist approach to development is preventing this game from reaching its full potential. Far too many things are being done in a my way or the highway fashion; despite many issues being pointed out... and frankly, it's leading to a lot of sloppiness, particularly when considering that the game has been in Early Access for fourteen-and-a-half months, so far.

Does the process have to be perfect? No. But, can it be better than it is? Absolutely.

So, you're complaining because CF isn't being released to the public because the developers don't think that it's in an acceptable state and on many other threads you're complaining because you feel that PG has been released by the developers when it's not in an acceptable state...  Hmm.

• Richard, RobC, IanK and 1 other like this

#35 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

And I can think of not other person (barring one) who will complain more about CF being an unfinished product. And what fun you'll have with the bugs thread!
Unless you are party to what goes on behind the scenes how can you possibly say that there should be no further hold up?
  • RobC likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#36 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

So, you're complaining because CF isn't being released to the public because the developers don't think that it's in an acceptable state and on many other threads you're complaining because you feel that PG has been released by the developers when it's not in an acceptable state...  Hmm.

Where did the developers give this as a reason?

Isn't the point of this discussion that no reason has been given?

#37 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:51 PM

And I can think of not other person (barring one) who will complain more about CF being an unfinished product. And what fun you'll have with the bugs thread!
Unless you are party to what goes on behind the scenes how can you possibly say that there should be no further hold up?

Course Forge seems to be doing a better job producing working courses, than the game does at producing a playable round of golf.

Whose fault is that?

#38 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

Courts Forge seems to be doing a better job producing working courses, than the game does at producing a playable round of golf.

Whose fault is that?

You've already said it was the testers, why are you asking???

Richard

Posted Image

#39 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

Courts Forge seems to be doing a better job producing working courses, than the game does at producing a playable round of golf.

Whose fault is that?

That's your opinion. The game has and does produce playable rounds of golf for me on an almost nightly basis when i play.

#40 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

Whose fault is that?

WTF is Courts Forge?

Looks like Roland Garros and Flushing Meadow are heading our way.

Regards your question, like Richard has stated, you already seem to have laid the blame for the poor quality of PG at the testers door.

Maybe TGC is more suited to your requirements.
  • IanK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users