#1 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLake Huron, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

Playing/learning Unity...a few pics along the journey. Not in any order...

Attached Files

• luetze, Kablammo11, highfade and 5 others like this

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#2 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

The first post was early morning and I wasn't quite awake.

Background:

Prior experience with golf games - played WGT for a couple of years; did not like the pay for performance format; hated the meter

No experience with any video games at all. No experience with Photoshop; Blender, Sketchup or any other graphics programs.

Loved this game from the get go, so many ways to swing/play, challenging, great designers so I made the decision after about a month of playing that I wanted to learn Unity in anticipation of CF being released (which I can and will wait for). Unity has been a fascinating experience thus far. If there were mistakes to make, I made them in spades. If I could count the number of times I started a project, scrapped it, saved it, lost it, messed it up and didn't know how to fix it...I've lost count. But just like golf IRL, you gotta just play through it.

Amongst the too numerous to mention issues I am having, the most frustrating for me thus far has been: when is enough...enough, too much, I don't think that looks right, how about this, then that...its obsessive!

The pictures are from a course layout that I am working on. Castle Links (tentative name, fictional design) ~ 7,400 yds from the Black Tee's (Championship Tees); 4 sets of Tees, ranging down to 5,800 yds from the forward tees.

I am looking for a varied links look; coastal holes, inland dunes, inland links holes. Minimal trees, lots of heather, grasses, and lots of bushes with colliders. My thought process is that the grasses we get to choose from provide no real OMG I'm in the tall stuff (fescue) I may have to take an unplayable here. So strategic placement of bushes/trees with nasty colliders will have to do; ala K11's Karen. I haven't worked much yet with creating my own trees/shrubs etc, still way too much to learn in Unity. But I will get to that soon enough!

I have used assets from the store (yes I paid for them, but certainly far less than I would spend on a couple of pints and a meal after a round of golf IRL). So I do not mind paying for some. Some are just awful, some fantastic. The best ones so far for me: Tenkoku Dynamic Sky; Suimono Water System; and I have really enjoyed creating terrains with Gaia. I know many of these paid assets may not be compatible with PG, but until CF is released, a guy's got have some toys.

I'll continue to post random pics form the course, and I will provide a fly by with a camera script I picked up in the asset store. Probably next week after I finish the Master's watching marathon.

• RobC likes this

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#3 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

2nd Tee looking across the bay

Attached Files

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#4 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

Course Forge is gonna be a breeze for you now

that you have the Unity tools and skills. You'll come to

find that you will want some type of texture altering software

like PS, or one of the free ones like Gimp to be able to

closely match your unity terrains with the CF meshes.

CF will come with everything you need to build a golf

course including video tutorials, plots, textures, trees,rocks,bushes, water planes, oceans,

and more. Another program that a lot use is AC3D by Invisi.com, with

this program there is nothing that can't be built in 3D, there is a free

trial but it's well worth the price if you so choose. Have fun and

Lookin' Good SR.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#5 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

Thanks NoPutt, information and feedback appreciated.

Now for the somewhat embarrassing question. How do I post imaged that show up in the body of the forum post?

I have uploaded all my screenshots to Imgur. When I try to use the image icon and past the URL from Imgur into the text box that pops up, and click on it...nothing happens and it seems to freeze up. Which link in Imgur do I use? Direct link, BB?

As I said...total newbie here at so many things :)

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#6 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

The Direct link second down, That will copy,

then come here, start a post and click the little

image icon(the one with the tree) and paste,

click OK and that's it.

Use the "More reply options" to see the full editor

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#7 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

18th Tee Early morning (6am)

Green is in front of club house in distance.

Attached Files

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#8 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

Your doing a great job so far, you have gained some valuable unity skills , so well done to take upon yourself to learn

Pics look good-  be careful with the grasses too many objects and pg will lag same with  trees

like many we have had lots of ups and more downs and stuff ups along the way, Hope you have taken down some notes so you remember how to do things.

well done mate

Stephen

#9 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Stephen. Understood on the grass...might come under the 'how much is too much'.

Will endeavour to minimalize!

On another note really struggling to get the embedded images working. I'll attach a screenshot of where it 'freezes'.

I get to here...copy the 'direct link' into this box, click OK...nothing happens? Thoughts?

Attached Files

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#10 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:08 PM

I just copy the Imgur link and paste it into the post.  The picture automatically shows up.

MOCdWRk.jpg

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#11 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

I can't seem to paste the link Joe. I'm on Windows 10, tried both mouse copy/paste (of the link), and ctrl C for copy and ctrl V for paste, neither work when I attempt to paste into the body of the post.

When I use the image icon and the dialog box pops up I can paste into that box but the OK button, and the cancel button are both inactive. It looks like the button is somewhat highlighted when I move the mouse over, but when I click on it nothing happens. Trying to 'x' (close) the dialog box brings up a small message box saying: "Message from webpage - ? Some of the options have been changed. Are you sure to close the dialog?"

At a loss here. Any ideas/thoughts?

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#12 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:33 AM

I use Google Chrome, may be your browser.

#13 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

Thanks NoPutt, information and feedback appreciated.

Now for the somewhat embarrassing question. How do I post imaged that show up in the body of the forum post?

I have uploaded all my screenshots to Imgur. When I try to use the image icon and past the URL from Imgur into the text box that pops up, and click on it...nothing happens and it seems to freeze up. Which link in Imgur do I use? Direct link, BB?

As I said...total newbie here at so many things :)

If you want to post screen shots in the forums, well this is how I do it. First you need to get Fraps, that will let you take screen shots and also you can take video's of your game. You then need a site that will host your screen shots, I use Photo Bucket for this, you will have to setup an account and it is 100% free, Fraps is free also. You simply open Fraps to run while your playing Perfect Golf and when you want to take a screen shot you hit the key you have setup for screen shots the default key is F10 or to take a video the default key is F9. They will go to the directory of your choosing, this you can customize. To post to the forums you would go to Photo Bucket after of course taking a screen shot and choose to upload it there. After it is uploaded you will see a small window showing your screen shot, now click on that and it will open in a full screen. Then on the right side of the page you will see a list of URL's first is Email & IM second is Direct, third is HTML and last IMG you will want to click the direct link the second one down. Now you have it in your clip board, then come in the forums and open a reply to this topic and click on the first X2 subscript at the top of the post window that will now be highlighted in white, now click the picture icon and that will bring up a window that you can past your URL in. Now for video's I think the best program out there if your using Windows is Movie Maker it is free and comes with Windows essentials you can choose to only download Movie Maker as it comes with other stuff as well. In Movie Maker you can open your video's from the location that you have setup Fraps to save them in. Movie Maker will change the format of your movie to make it a smaller file size that you will be able to post in the forums. So what you want to do is open your video in Movie Maker and up at the top of the page you will see an icon for YouTube click on it and it will have you sign in to your YouTube account. Now your movie will automatically be uploaded to your YouTube, now open the video in YouTube and copy the URL at the top left of the page now it is in your clipboard, go to the forums and click reply to this topic and click the first X2 subscript again and this time click the link icon, that will bring up a window to past the URL in. Now your screen shots and video's will show in the forums without having to click on an external link. Hope you can understand all this.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Silverstone ST1500 1500W ATX
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
1x LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner
1x LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Player
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

#14 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

I can't seem to paste the link Joe. I'm on Windows 10, tried both mouse copy/paste (of the link), and ctrl C for copy and ctrl V for paste, neither work when I attempt to paste into the body of the post.

When I use the image icon and the dialog box pops up I can paste into that box but the OK button, and the cancel button are both inactive. It looks like the button is somewhat highlighted when I move the mouse over, but when I click on it nothing happens. Trying to 'x' (close) the dialog box brings up a small message box saying: "Message from webpage - ? Some of the options have been changed. Are you sure to close the dialog?"

At a loss here. Any ideas/thoughts?

Like NoPutt I, too, now use Chrome as my browser.  I switched from Internet Explorer because of issues it had when using this forum.  That could possibly be the issue.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#15 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

FDOB9oy.jpg?2

• catflap likes this

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#16 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

Thanks all!!!!

Changed browser to Chrome; followed 'Skies' instructions as well just to be sure.

Works. I will follow the video instructions as well.

I can now show more pictures in the WIP format progressively from Hole 1 through 18.

I also realize that once I have the basic layout, trees, grasses, meshes done; I can can this one until CF is released. Move on to another Links design I have brewing in my head.

I will also at that time remove many objects that I am hopeful that CF has that would be suitable on this course, and remove the Dynamic Sky and water...

Must say, this is fun!

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#17 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

Try taking your textures to the next level by researching

bumpmaps or as Unity calls them Normals. you can make your own

or google some, they will add the bumpiness and will greatly enhance

the effects. Have fun.

#18 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:43 AM

Hole 1 Par 4 slight dogleg left

Black - 470 yds

W6rvrZS.jpg

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#19 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:46 AM

Hole 1 

Approach area to green; hill to left/bunkered. Green slopes away to the right (toward sea). 

ed1RYtq.jpg

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#20 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:48 AM

Hole 1 short and left of green - not a place to be. Still playing with normals...W7LU3ZC.jpg

RTS-M Pro/Bare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users