• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

We are not using mesh blades as TW did as we tried them and didn't like the look as they just appeared to be 'stuck' on. Our goal is to keep the visuals looking fantastic under most circumstances while at the same time allowing people with older hardware to enjoy the game. We could have done DX11 volumetric grass via a shader but that would mean older cards and PC's just wouldn't be able to play PG so we chose a different route. The webplayer will give a decent idea of how the courses will look in game.

#42 DaShotShapa

DaShotShapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:23 AM

Because, like others, I am trying to get some idea on when we might expect a release. The near future holds possibilities for several games but EA now have their hat back in the ring and PP seems to have lost interest in finishing this game.

Don't think for a second that just because I am fed up to the back teeth of waiting for this game to be released that I won't be keeping up on things. I am also keeping up on EA and on Winning Putt. My bet is that EA will plug this hole again before anyone else can get their act together.

Me 2 brother. But thats due to the fact that EA is a multi-milion dollar company.

MSI A88X-G43, AMD A10-5800K, PATRIOT PC3-10700 DDR3 16GB, AMD HD RADEON 7700 1GB DDR5, CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI, WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

#43 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:27 AM

Me 2 brother. But thats due to the fact that EA is a multi-milion dollar company.

As a tester for PG, let me assure you that this will be a great game. I have not tried the EA game but I firmly believe that PG will 'BLOW YOU MIND'.

Just to me honest, before I was selected as a tester, I too had real doubts about whether or not PG would ever appear. I no longer have any doubt.

Richard

Posted Image

#44 noelw1969

noelw1969

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationStafford, UK

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

Well your opening paragraph shows that you are not reading the other threads around here, otherwise you would know that PP have far from lost interest in finishing the game.

Also, you didn't say you were fed up, you said you had lost interest in this project, which is why I asked why you had bothered to come back and post about something you had lost interest in.

Lost interest, fed up with waiting....its all the same to me. I have been trying to keep up with what is happening on several golf possibilities but one thing I absolutely will not do is read every word in every post in every thread meaning I am likely to miss things.

Still, PP may not have lost interest themselves but it seems that other projects have taken priority and this game has been put on the back burner for a bit. One thing I am positively unable to find out is why this game is now officially a year late. Projected release originally being the last quarter of 2013 and there has not been a single word about it since that I can see.

So, if PP are continuing to work on this game, surely they must know when release is due or at least give us an educated guess.

#45 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

I can tell you why it wasn't released a year ago - resources and unpredictability. It's not perfectionism (as typically claimed), they're not holding back release for the US Masters or anything.

#46 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

Lost interest, fed up with waiting....its all the same to me. I have been trying to keep up with what is happening on several golf possibilities but one thing I absolutely will not do is read every word in every post in every thread meaning I am likely to miss things.

Still, PP may not have lost interest themselves but it seems that other projects have taken priority and this game has been put on the back burner for a bit. One thing I am positively unable to find out is why this game is now officially a year late. Projected release originally being the last quarter of 2013 and there has not been a single word about it since that I can see.

So, if PP are continuing to work on this game, surely they must know when release is due or at least give us an educated guess.

Thanks for taking 3 months to reply to my post, lol. Obviously not keeping up to date on Perfect Golf.

Yes, they initially 'guesstimated' Winter 2013 and were wildly wide of the mark. I guess this is why they are loathed to give another 'possible release date' as if/when that was missed, everyone would be on their case again. Also, the game isn't 'officially a year late' as the Winter 2013 date was never a guaranteed/definite/official release date, just a proposed date that they put forward during their Kickstarter campaign.

Why must they know when it will release? They may have an idea, but do not have to share this with anyone if they so decide. There is no law against not giving a release date out. Whilst they haven't given another release date, they have been far from quiet while you have been away, but then like you say, you don't read all the posts, so you won't have noticed. Testing is currently ongoing for Terrain Forge Course Forge and Perfect Golf. It will be released when it is ready.

Like you have also stated, there are other golf games out there and in development, so it is not the end of the world that Perfect Golf is not yet released. It may mean we miss you as a potential player/designer because of the delay, but c'est la vie.

• Harald likes this

#47 DaShotShapa

DaShotShapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

As a tester for PG, let me assure you that this will be a great game. I have not tried the EA game but I firmly believe that PG will 'BLOW YOU MIND'.

Just to me honest, before I was selected as a tester, I too had real doubts about whether or not PG would ever appear. I no longer have any doubt.

Are we getting any closer to actually playing an actual game, instead of just hearing about how great its gonna be?

MSI A88X-G43, AMD A10-5800K, PATRIOT PC3-10700 DDR3 16GB, AMD HD RADEON 7700 1GB DDR5, CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI, WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

#48 DaShotShapa

DaShotShapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for taking 3 months to reply to my post, lol. Obviously not keeping up to date on Perfect Golf.

Yes, they initially 'guesstimated' Winter 2013 and were wildly wide of the mark. I guess this is why they are loathed to give another 'possible release date' as if/when that was missed, everyone would be on their case again. Also, the game isn't 'officially a year late' as the Winter 2013 date was never a guaranteed/definite/official release date, just a proposed date that they put forward during their Kickstarter campaign.

Why must they know when it will release? They may have an idea, but do not have to share this with anyone if they so decide. There is no law against not giving a release date out. Whilst they haven't given another release date, they have been far from quiet while you have been away, but then like you say, you don't read all the posts, so you won't have noticed. Testing is currently ongoing for Terrain Forge Course Forge and Perfect Golf. It will be released when it is ready.

Like you have also stated, there are other golf games out there and in development, so it is not the end of the world that Perfect Golf is not yet released. It may mean we miss you as a potential player/designer because of the delay, but c'est la vie.

Wow Daz, since you became a beta tester your attitude changed. I remember playing you on TWO and you were such a nice guy. Now it seems like you think you're above everybody else. Just saying! The way you comment to people nowadays could be taken as a little (how do I say it without being banned) ah screw it, "dick-ish". But thats just my opinion.

#49 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

Wow Daz - you are prodding the nest ;)

#50 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

Wow Daz, since you became a beta tester your attitude changed. I remember playing you on TWO and you were such a nice guy. Now it seems like you think you're above everybody else. Just saying! The way you comment to people nowadays could be taken as a little (how do I say it without being banned) ah screw it, "dick-ish". But thats just my opinion.

Daz is the same as always, richbrunker: A nice guy who donates hours upon hours of his free time to test an as yet unfinished game, report bugs, hunt for glitches, verify observations made by others, post on the private forums and read up on the comments of his co-testers. Also, he is an alpha tester, like all of us are, not a beta tester, and he is blind to the the inner workings of the PP team and exposed to their whims.

The beta testers are not yet known. You might be one of them, via the PP early access release on Steam. When? I know better than to even speculate about the date.

Based on past interventions, you probably will not get banned for your opinion. Your post might get reported and deleted, though I think that it should stay, why not. You are frustrated, okay. You want to know in advance and be told more: fair enough! But I find your attitude and language ontowards Daz quite dick-ish as well. 

• Harald and nstone73 like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#51 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

Not me squire. Never played TWO. Last Tiger Woods game I played was TW 2005 on PC and played at a site called Clambakers.

Certainly don't think I'm above anyone. I was just replying to someone who decided to quote a post of mine from over 3 months ago and felt the need to be all negative about the PP project. Just tried to fill him in a few details. Yes, a few comments may have been slightly curt, but so be it. If they are a problem I'm sure the moderator's will let me know.

• Richard likes this

#52 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

Are we getting any closer to actually playing an actual game, instead of just hearing about how great its gonna be?

Rich, your question is wwaaaaaaaaayyy above my pay level. Neither I or any of the other testers have that information. The principals at PP will make that decision when they feel the product is ready. So it does no good to ask that question in response to any postings from the testers.

All we testers can do is try to keep the community informed of what we are experiencing, both good and bad. Having said that, below is my current assessment based on what I see in the 3rd alpha testing version.

1.  The graphics detail is excellent. The level of detail can be changed to accommodate computers from mid-range to high-performance gaming systems.

2.  There is a 'real weather' capability that allows for selecting the current weather conditions in any city in the world that is an official weather reporting station, i.e. Minneapolis, MN, Paris, FR, etc. The other day, I was playing in the rain.

3.  There is a time of day capability, that affects the lighting and shadows based on the sun's position. You can select the time of day and length of daylight.

4.  You can set wind conditions.

5. You, of course, can have a 'windowed' or 'full screen' view with resolutions up to 1920 X1080.

6.  While the ball physics are pretty good, IMHO, they're not ready for prime time yet.

7.  We still are testing without an avatar. I have no idea, at this time, what one will look like or what issues may arise once it's introduced.

8.  There are still issues with some of the shadows.

9.  Some of the testers are experiencing performance issues, which are being investigated.

The above is not intended to be full status, but I think it portrays that there are a number of people both within PP and from outside (testers) working diligently. Everyone agrees that the target is to achieve the highest level of realism as possible.

I haven't included any images or videos in this update, because other testers have already done so in response to various posts.

While I realize that waiting can be frustrating, it also is for me, I think that it would be a mistake to publish at this stage. Prior to becoming a tester, I also was getting very cynical.  I have no idea how I was selected, but I'm taking my mother's advice and "not looking a gift horse in the mouth".

• fungolfer likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#53 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

Richard - you were selected / nominated by others already testing either for your skills or contributions to the forums or both. There might be other criteria too.

And for others, that not just those who some would call fanboys.....you should see some of the debates on the Alpha Forums!

Richard's summary is a good one....it is coming along nicely.

#54 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

While I was posting #52, It turns out that Mike Jones, was publishing a October 14th update. Strongly suggest that the community read it. It contains some good stuff.

Richard

Posted Image

#55 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

We are not using mesh blades as TW did as we tried them and didn't like the look as they just appeared to be 'stuck' on. Our goal is to keep the visuals looking fantastic under most circumstances while at the same time allowing people with older hardware to enjoy the game. We could have done DX11 volumetric grass via a shader but that would mean older cards and PC's just wouldn't be able to play PG so we chose a different route. The webplayer will give a decent idea of how the courses will look in game.

Hopefully it will be possible to include something similar to volumetric grass in the future and somehow have an option to turn it off if you have an older PC.

#56 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:57 PM

But to stay on Topic , when will the game be released to the public to play? It s a very simple question, your either very close ( 1 month away) or still working out problems (6-12) months away

#57 scottpussehl

scottpussehl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:24 AM

I believe in another post they have stated they are hoping for a Christmas release time frame, but I mean there is a ton of stuff to get done still, for it to be in line with the name perfect there is a good amount of work thats will go into living up to that name. So just guys I want it as bad as anyone else, but give these guys a break and let them work, they really dontnneed extra stress from us.
  • ed dawson and Hammerfest like this

#58 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

Scott you are right, Mike stated this in the last update topic in the 1st post. If the game is changing as fast as in the time I'm alpha testing, then this is a possible date. Now new testers are in and they are busy posting their experiences and the bugs they find and the list is not really getting much bigger, so I guess early access around xmas is possible.

But hey, I'm only a tester, so please don't take my words as the ultimate :)

• ed dawson and Hammerfest like this

Who cares...

#59 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

Thanks guys for the info, I just been away from the forum. Has there bee mention on the cost yet?

#60 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

Thanks guys for the info, I just been away from the forum. Has there bee mention on the cost yet?

W,

They have confirmed the next testing build will be released on Steam (as Early Access) but have not given any detail of pricing as yet.

Hopefully will be available in time for Christmas.

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users