47 replies to this topic

#21 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Andrew, thanks for the update on the state of development for PG, it's greatly appreciated, as I've been looking forward to hearing the progress of the games development.

I still have many questions about the game itself but, I'll only ask one right now and hold off on the remainder until you move further along with the games development and release more detailed information and/or updates.

Under Software/Platforms you state Windows 7 or 8 , Mac and Linux.  Does that mean PG will not be compatable with XP and Vista?

Because for me and I'm sure others this is a dealbreaker. I'm not going to upgrade my software just to play PG.

Perfect Golf does currently run on XP.  We just do not advertise it as we are not sure we want to support it in our Simulators as most will be creating or buying a PC.  

Andrew, Thank you for the very quick response to my inquiry.

Based on your response regarding XP Users, I''ll have to go on the assumption the same holds true for me as a Vista user.

It will be a shame if you decide not to support Vista, as I will not be upgrading and I was really looking forward to playing a real golf "sim" as I believe PG will be.

#22 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Remember however that XP/Vista support is mainly up to Unity, the underlying engine.
If Unity drop XP/Vista in future, PP would be crazy to stay on an old version of Unity just to support XP/Vista.

That said, Unity would be crazy to drop XP/Vista support yet as XP is still in major use amongst gamers.

#23 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

The thing is, when people start posting 1080p videos with high resolution textures and models with beautifully soft shadows running velvety smooth at 50fps+, and you're down at 640x480 with 1/8th resolution textures and blocky models with no shadows beyond 20 yards like I am with TGC, it's going to become awfully tempting to upgrade your machine. 

There's no real point in bringing out a new golf game if you're not taking advantage of reasonably recent power. Links 2003 or TW08 would give a better experience.

• MERACE and Perculator like this

#24 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

..... one start wonder if not a 3 holes PG-Demo  ,or something, would be a good thing ..... once the game is released ....

But I also need to ask : The Perfect Golf Physics Alpha worked ok on my machine .... If I can expect something like that or above ... then I'm OK with that 

#25 natpick

natpick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

great news,count me in for early access on steam.

#26 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

Well, i think shimonko pretty much said what had to be said. Sheesh, even MS doesn't support XP/vista any more. Bottom line, if you want to play the new 3d games being released these days YOU have to upgrade. That's just the way it is. Sorry, it has nothing to do with the studios releasing the games, but everything to do with folks who either cannot afford to upgrade or those who are unwilling to do so. The 'net is still available and affordable to most and many, many games that do not require the graphic cards, psu's, memory, etc. to play them. 

• Perculator likes this

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#27 Bob1527

Bob1527

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

Good to hear of progress....makes the wait slightly easier...hopefully I can get my gaming computer back working by release date on Steam...I work slowly these days,but finished product will work well...a bit like the game...

#28 fran21356

fran21356

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Well Karma4U, I'm one of those people who can't afford to throw down  a pile of money for the latest computer and I wouldn't do it just on principle. I think it's ridiculous to buy an expensive computer for the sole sake of playing a golf game. Will I be expected to do it again in two years or so when another game or update comes out? Most people don't buy computers every year or every other year because the next big and cool operating sysytem has hit the stores. If that's the case, it's going to be a very select group playing this game. I'll take that money and buy a new set of fitted Mizuno irons and  play the real thing for the same amount of money. I'll make do with Links 2003 and be very happy, thank you. Good luck with the development of the game, I hope it's everything people are expecting and a huge seller.

#29 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Who needs to buy a whole new PC? All I do once in a while is buy a mainboard bundle. All you have to do is put it in your case and reinstall windows. You get some good offers at amazon and at ebay for sure.

My HDD, BR-Writer and case don't need to be renewed every 2 years, but I like to get new system every few years. My HDD and Case are now about 7 years old but still totally ok. So all I do is update the system and leave everything else like it is.

All you need is some knowledge on how to remove and install the new MB :)

Who cares...

#30 fran21356

fran21356

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

That's beyond my technical ability and I'm not inclined to tamper with the computer. I'm just frustrated that after all this time and interest I've had in in this new game that I'm not going to be playing it.  Either it will support Vista on my PC or I'll stick with Links 2003 but thank you for the suggestion fungolfer, it's appreciated.

• fungolfer likes this

#31 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Andrew said it is playable on XP, just it's not advertised as supported. If it works on XP, it would be unlikely not to work on Vista. 

#32 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

@karma4u:

I agree with you.  The reality is that we all want a new golf game and it's sort of silly to want a new game that looks great and takes advantage of all the latest goodness in hardware and software --- yet also expecting that it will work in an OS that's over a decade old.

I personally hope they make a game that caters to Win7/Mac 10.9 and beyond so the game works and looks great well into the future (not the past)

• Perculator likes this

#33 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

The whole point in releasing a new golf game is to take advantage of the graphics and power available from recent computer technology and advancements. You cannot expect it to run on antiquated equipment. To make it run great on old equipment you would have to stick to 'old' methods, and consequently, all you'd end up with is another out of date game like we already have available to us.

• Perculator, IanD and karma4u like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#34 fran21356

fran21356

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

I think it might have been considerate to mention months ago that certain operating systems would not be supported by PP or vice versa, whichever is correct. That way myself and others wouldn't have been comming here a few times a week wasting our time in hope of news of a release date. But on the bright side the kickstarter attempt didn't work so I wasn't out $25.00 too. So long everyone, good luck and have fun. i'm off to shop for new irons. :)

• Perculator likes this

#35 chrismess13

chrismess13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationButte County, CA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

Links 2003 still can't play that myself. I too refuse to upgrade from my C64. Just not going to do it for a game. When the hickory on my shafts crack I just fill them in with putty and wrap 'em tape. I know am just repeating what others have said but being upset because the creators of a new game being made in 2014 won't make it playable on outdated equipment is quite annoying. The fact is if the folks at PP want to succed and have a sucessful game then it needs to be made to todays standards not yesteryears. Another fact some of todays bells and whistle just won't work on older rigs because those machines weren't made to handle technology that wasn't available in that time. I wish I could play that other golf game right now while I wait for this one but it requires a DX11 graphics card, which I don't have, so I am out of luck. But I'm not complaining to them to dumb down their game so I can play it. I'll just wait til I can fit it in to the budget and buy a new one. I could go on, on my little rant here but one of the strings on my tiny violin just broke.

• Perculator and karma4u like this

#36 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Links 2003 still can't play that myself. I too refuse to upgrade from my C64. Just not going to do it for a game. When the hickory on my shafts crack I just fill them in with putty and wrap 'em tape. I know am just repeating what others have said but being upset because the creators of a new game being made in 2014 won't make it playable on outdated equipment is quite annoying. The fact is if the folks at PP want to succed and have a sucessful game then it needs to be made to todays standards not yesteryears. Another fact some of todays bells and whistle just won't work on older rigs because those machines weren't made to handle technology that wasn't available in that time. I wish I could play that other golf game right now while I wait for this one but it requires a DX11 graphics card, which I don't have, so I am out of luck. But I'm not complaining to them to dumb down their game so I can play it. I'll just wait til I can fit it in to the budget and buy a new one. I could go on, on my little rant here but one of the strings on my tiny violin just broke.

Totally agree.

New games should use "new-ish" specs at the very least.

We already have plenty of "old games" that will play on "old hardware running old OS's"

• Perculator and karma4u like this

#37 clayg17

clayg17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

what are going to be the specs for the computer to run this game.

#38 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:26 AM

To run the game, very minimal - to be able to play however, there is no answer because it's the course and the designer that will predominantly determine how playable it is.

A designer can use trees with 200000 polygons or 2000, or textures of high or low resolution for example. The course might be links style with minimal trees or running water or the complete opposite.

#39 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

. i'm off to shop for new irons. :)

Choices, we all have choices to make in life.....will be a bit more than upgrading your pc, but hey, that is your choice. Hope you find a set that works for you...........Cheers....... :mellow:

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#40 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

Well done Andrew, thank you for all your PG news, gr8 job guys & see you soon !

Cheers 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users